When they ask me why I want to work there...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

When they ask me why I want to work there...

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:09 pm

What's the best way to express it (on a callback)? I've done a ton of research but I've obviously never been an employee there, so I always feel somewhat awkward just putting what I know out there, like "Oh this firm does great work in commercial litigation, and it also has a really great culture." OTOH, I feel equally awkward saying something like "Oh, in my research I've heard/found/seen..." A minor and possibly meaningless distinction I know, but I also know I'm going to be asked this question a lot and I want to hit it out of the park.

Edited for dumb.

rayiner

Re: When they ask me why I want to work there...

Postby rayiner » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What's the best way to express to express it (on a callback)? I've done a ton of research but I've obviously never been an employee there, so I always feel somewhat awkward just putting what I know out there, like "Oh this firm does great work in commercial litigation, and it also has a really great culture." OTOH, I feel equally awkward saying something like "Oh, in my research I've heard/found/seen..." A minor and possibly meaningless distinction I know, but I also know I'm going to be asked this question a lot and I want to hit it out of the park.

Say it like this: "oh I'm really interested in your strong commercial litigation practice." Nobody is going to be like "oh what does this kid know, our commercial litigation practice sucks!" They know you read Chambers, and they look to it too.

Don't say "the firm has a really great culture." Because then it sounds like you don't know what the culture is. Say: "I really like that you encourage associates to be entrepreneurial" or whatever.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:13 pm

be honest, and have a good balance of what about the firm appeals to you (practice group, reputation, office size, national/local presence, feedback from other summer associates), and be sure to balance it out with what you think you can bring to the firm that compliments/"fits" with them. For example, at a firm like Kirkland, you might want to emphasize the entrepreneurial nature of the firms work distribution model and then mention something about your background and how you are entrepreneurial and think you could perform solid work for them in that type of business model.

I significantly underplayed the second part and it was reflected in my CB to offer ratio (luckily I escaped with at least one offer at a firm I wanted).

wakahaka

Postby wakahaka » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:15 pm

rayiner wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What's the best way to express to express it (on a callback)? I've done a ton of research but I've obviously never been an employee there, so I always feel somewhat awkward just putting what I know out there, like "Oh this firm does great work in commercial litigation, and it also has a really great culture." OTOH, I feel equally awkward saying something like "Oh, in my research I've heard/found/seen..." A minor and possibly meaningless distinction I know, but I also know I'm going to be asked this question a lot and I want to hit it out of the park.

Say it like this: "oh I'm really interested in your strong commercial litigation practice." Nobody is going to be like "oh what does this kid know, our commercial litigation practice sucks!" They know you read Chambers, and they look to it too.

Don't say "the firm has a really great culture." Because then it sounds like you don't know what the culture is. Say: "I really like that you encourage associates to be entrepreneurial" or whatever.

I agree, this sounds good.

Return to “Legal Employment”