Question regarding OCI situation Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Question regarding OCI situation

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:59 am

Has anyone not gotten an interview through oci. Waited for the firm to conduct interviews and then stuck around until the end of the interview slot and introduced themselves to the interviewer?

I was thinking about doing it at my OCI coming up in a couple weeks.

Anonymous User

Re: Question regarding OCI situation

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:03 pm

It seems relatively common to try to hop in during a break if the recruiter has one, but many others may try to do this as well. Might be worth calling the firm's recruiting people to try to schedule something so you can block that time out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone not gotten an interview through oci. Waited for the firm to conduct interviews and then stuck around until the end of the interview slot and introduced themselves to the interviewer?

I would advise against waiting until the end of the interview day. By that point, the interviewer has probably had enough and wants to get back to his family or firm.

Here's what I did (lottery system): I made sure to get to the interviewing site a half hour before the interviews began in interview attire. I would bring along my resume, transcript, references, and writing sample. I'd walk up to the interviewer or recruiting person and say something like, "Hi, I'm [Rising 2L], and wasn't able to get an interview with [Dewey, Cheetem & Howe]. I am very interested in your office and would love the opportunity to speak with [you or [Mr. Interviewer]]." At that point, you give them the documents and thank them. Hopefully, they call you at some point and tell you to stop by during their lunch break.

If you do get a screening interview, be sure you are at the top of your game. Either because you didn't rank them high enough on your lottery or weren't pre-selected (or worse, didn't even submit an application), you likely have an up hill battle to get a call back. So, make sure you have an explanation or reason why you didn't get or bid for the screen. That said, you'll be memorable, and if you can impress the screener enough with your grades and/or charm, you may have a shot.

Good luck.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone not gotten an interview through oci. Waited for the firm to conduct interviews and then stuck around until the end of the interview slot and introduced themselves to the interviewer?

I would advise against waiting until the end of the interview day. By that point, the interviewer has probably had enough and wants to get back to his family or firm.

Here's what I did (lottery system): I made sure to get to the interviewing site a half hour before the interviews began in interview attire. I would bring along my resume, transcript, references, and writing sample. I'd walk up to the interviewer or recruiting person and say something like, "Hi, I'm [Rising 2L], and wasn't able to get an interview with [Dewey, Cheetem & Howe]. I am very interested in your office and would love the opportunity to speak with [you or [Mr. Interviewer]]." At that point, you give them the documents and thank them. Hopefully, they call you at some point and tell you to stop by during their lunch break.

If you do get a screening interview, be sure you are at the top of your game. Either because you didn't rank them high enough on your lottery or weren't pre-selected (or worse, didn't even submit an application), you likely have an up hill battle to get a call back. So, make sure you have an explanation or reason why you didn't get or bid for the screen. That said, you'll be memorable, and if you can impress the screener enough with your grades and/or charm, you may have a shot.

Good luck.
The key is to get the interviewer to fit you in and see you during one of their breaks during the day. Keep in mind that they are there to find potential employees, so they WANT to see more students. By (politely) approaching them in the manner that the above poster suggested, you are showing initiative and interest (and some charm doesn't hurt). I've gotten multiple callbacks from firms after securing the screening interview in this manner. Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”