Paul, Weiss leverage

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Paul, Weiss leverage

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:42 am

Much has been made of PW's very high leverage. Looking at the NALP form, it shows:

Litigation: 45 Partners, 317 Associates/Other
Corporate: 38 Partners, 135 Associates/Other

However – they also report 118 staff attorneys, which are included in these numbers. So my question is, what proportion of those staff attorneys are assigned to litigation? I would imagine it's a big proportion since, if I understand correctly, staff attorneys mainly do a lot of the first-round discovery culling. If for argument's sake all 118 of them were assigned to lit, then you're looking at 45 partners and around 200 associates, which is still high but not out of line with a lot of other V10/V20 firms.

Thoughts? The apparent bottom-heaviness of PW is one of my only reservations about them.

Anonymous User

Re: Paul, Weiss leverage

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:14 pm

Bump.

alumniguy

Re: Paul, Weiss leverage

Postby alumniguy » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:07 pm

Don't have anything specific on PW to add, but generally speaking, a number of "counsel" or non-equity partners are probably counted in that associate/other category. In reality (at least at my firm), counsel are pretty much the equivalent to partners in terms of running their own deals.

Return to “Legal Employment”