Chicago law firm decision

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Chicago law firm decision

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:45 am

I have offers from these Chicago firms...which should I pick and why?

SNR Denton
K&L Gates
DLA Piper
Foley Lardner
Baker MacKenzie

Serious responses only please. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Chicago law firm decision

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:53 am

is there any firm that stands out above the others? if you have any information about any of these firms, that would be much appreciated!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:58 am

I hear people really enjoy DLA Piper.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:59 am

Congrats on the offers!

Suppose it depends on practice area but I would pick Baker overall, stronghold Chicago firm, I always liked them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:I hear people really enjoy DLA Piper.

:mrgreen:

A buddy of mine is a junior associate at Baker and he absolutely loves it there. Great firm environment, and like someone else said, very strong in the city.

Do you have any practice areas that you are leaning towards? That should be a part of the decision.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I hear people really enjoy DLA Piper.

:mrgreen:

A buddy of mine is a junior associate at Baker and he absolutely loves it there. Great firm environment, and like someone else said, very strong in the city.

Do you have any practice areas that you are leaning towards? That should be a part of the decision.

I am leaning towards litigation, but I want to do both lit and transactional work this summer to clarify where I stand. I'm surprised at this Baker love, as someone had described them to me as the "Walmart of law firms." All "enjoy DLA" jokes aside, how do the two compare? It seems from the outside that they are very similar. Also, is it fair to call SNR Denton a mini-DLA in that it is a firm that is trying to expand via mergers?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:12 pm

I'm a little concerned about SNR Denton. Although I liked everyone I met there, the associates I met with for coffee told me they had had anothe round of layoffs just a month ago - granted, "only" secretaries and paralegals, but still. It's a little concerning. However, my career person told me that if you want to do First Amendment and Media Litigation, SNR Denton is pretty much the only game in Chicago. (I don't, but you might.) FWIW

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:14 pm

SNR Denton is not a safe place to be right now. I had a partner from a different Chicago firm, when I met him over the summer for advice, very explicitly tell me to steer clear of that firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a little concerned about SNR Denton. Although I liked everyone I met there, the associates I met with for coffee told me they had had anothe round of layoffs just a month ago - granted, "only" secretaries and paralegals, but still. It's a little concerning. However, my career person told me that if you want to do First Amendment and Media Litigation, SNR Denton is pretty much the only game in Chicago. (I don't, but you might.) FWIW

Thanks guys, this is all exactly what I'm looking for. Any thoughts on the other firms?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:SNR Denton is not a safe place to be right now. I had a partner from a different Chicago firm, when I met him over the summer for advice, very explicitly tell me to steer clear of that firm.

Interesting. Is this a result of their recent merger?

Also, what is the word on K&L Gates? Foley? They're not discussed much on here.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:SNR Denton is not a safe place to be right now. I had a partner from a different Chicago firm, when I met him over the summer for advice, very explicitly tell me to steer clear of that firm.

I'm not really sure what it's a result of. I didn't probe too much. But I know that the vibe I got from this partner was enough to scare me away. He looked me right in the eyes and very seriously said, "You should not even be bidding on SNR Denton. It's not a good place to be right now. Not a place you want to start your career. I don't want to see a smart guy like you get burned."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:00 pm

K&L Gates pays below market I think. May or may not matter to you. But that was one reason I canceled my cb with them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:K&L Gates pays below market I think. May or may not matter to you. But that was one reason I canceled my cb with them.

False. Only says that on places like atl career center because they are based out of Pittsburgh and pay market at each individual office. K&L pays 160 in
Chi (previously summered there, really liked it)

Edit: Aside from pay, would love to hear what people think of the firm though

ImConfused

Postby ImConfused » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:06 am

Last edited by ImConfused on Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:07 am

What is up with the ...?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm not really sure what it's a result of. I didn't probe too much. But I know that the vibe I got from this partner was enough to scare me away. He looked me right in the eyes and very seriously said, "You should not even be bidding on SNR Denton. It's not a good place to be right now. Not a place you want to start your career. I don't want to see a smart guy like you get burned."

I am in a similar boat as you, but what if my choice is between SNR Denton and Dykema Gossett (smaller midwestern firm with a great culture and a pay of 135? Also, I was told by SNR that the summer positions would be for litigation. Did you say you want transactional in your interviews?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I am in a similar boat as you, but what if my choice is between SNR Denton and Dykema Gossett (smaller midwestern firm with a great culture and a pay of 135? Also, I was told by SNR that the summer positions would be for litigation. Did you say you want transactional in your interviews?

I think I said I was leaning towards litigation.

Return to “Legal Employment”