In-House Counsel Interview- Different from firm?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
2LLLL

In-House Counsel Interview- Different from firm?

Postby 2LLLL » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:56 pm

I'm interviewing for an in-house staff attorney position in the near future. I'm really psyched for the opportunity because I know that this type of position is extremely rare for a law student to have a shot at, so I want to knock it out. Plus the company is in an industry that I have a great deal of substantive interest in. I'd love to get this ideal post-BigLaw job without wasting my time, life, youth, sanity, and/or happiness slaving away in BigLaw.

Has anyone interviewed with a company for an attorney position before? How is it different than interviewing with a firm (feel free to generalize)? I'm interviewing with their GC so I doubt it will be that different than interviewing with lawyers in other contexts, but I just want to dot my "i's" and be prepared for anything here. If you want to go into specific details about your experiences, feel free to PM me and I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!!!

Anonymous User

Re: In-House Counsel Interview- Different from firm?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:17 am

2LLLL wrote:I'm interviewing for an in-house staff attorney position in the near future. I'm really psyched for the opportunity because I know that this type of position is extremely rare for a law student to have a shot at, so I want to knock it out. Plus the company is in an industry that I have a great deal of substantive interest in. I'd love to get this ideal post-BigLaw job without wasting my time, life, youth, sanity, and/or happiness slaving away in BigLaw.

Has anyone interviewed with a company for an attorney position before? How is it different than interviewing with a firm (feel free to generalize)? I'm interviewing with their GC so I doubt it will be that different than interviewing with lawyers in other contexts, but I just want to dot my "i's" and be prepared for anything here. If you want to go into specific details about your experiences, feel free to PM me and I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!!!

Mind if you can tell us the company?

kahechsof

Postby kahechsof » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
2LLLL wrote:I'm interviewing for an in-house staff attorney position in the near future. I'm really psyched for the opportunity because I know that this type of position is extremely rare for a law student to have a shot at, so I want to knock it out. Plus the company is in an industry that I have a great deal of substantive interest in. I'd love to get this ideal post-BigLaw job without wasting my time, life, youth, sanity, and/or happiness slaving away in BigLaw.

Thanks in advance!!!

Me guessing he minds.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:25 am

kahechsof wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks in advance!!!

Me guessing he minds.

LoL just curious. Not sure why its a biggie

2LLLL

Postby 2LLLL » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:22 pm

really? no one has any insight into this?

kahechsof

Postby kahechsof » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:00 pm

2LLLL wrote:really? no one has any insight into this?

I interviewed with a large Corp for 1L summer through OCI, and then a callback at the Corp. It was pretty similar to any other 1L interview I did. But then, I wasn't looking for long term employment from them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:10 pm

I interviewed for a 1L job in Google's legal department. It was 4 rounds in total before they extended an offer. The first was with the recruiting coordinator, the second with the associate general counsel who headed up the specific department I was interviewing for, and the last two were with staff attorneys. Perhaps this is a more extensive process than you will have to experience, but my interview with the associate general counsel was intense. It was essentially a case interview where he posed a hypothetical and made me work through it on the spot. Think interviews with major consulting firms (ex: McKinsey, BCG, Bain, etc.) on steroids. The other three were much more behavioral.

In contrast, when interviewing for BigLaw, my interviews were always behavioral. Aside from the curve ball behavioral questions, there was nothing unexpected.

My guess is that you might have to demonstrate your critical thinking skills given that this kind of position is so rare for people fresh out of law school. No suggestions on how to prepare for it, though, because my question was completely out of the blue. I definitely wouldn't have been able to predict it even if I'd tried.

Kochel

Postby Kochel » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:20 pm

2LLLL wrote:really? no one has any insight into this?

A few thoughts about approaching an in-house interview. First, you're going to need to care an awful lot about your client/employer. You'll need to demonstrate a positive interest in what the company does: its products/services/business model, its industry and competition, etc. Also, demonstrate some basic knowledge about the types of work the company lawyers do, whether it's transactional, regulatory or litigation. Affirm your specific interest in that kind of work. Show curiosity about the career path, what kinds of responsibilities you'll be given, company training resources, etc. All of this with more specificity than is needed when interviewing at a law firm.

A GC who's hiring a 2L probably is not hiring a utility infielder, so to speak. He's probably got a specific role in mind. He'll need a new lawyer to be a true self-starter, as the company probably can't afford to provide training as extensive as a law firm can (you can bet, though, that the training will be more practical). You'll need to show him that you can fit that specific mold, based on your skills and your interest in the relevant work. This includes persuading him that you're in it for the long term with his company and won't bolt for a firm job after just a year or two.

Also--don't share the name of the company. I'm probably not the only in-house lawyer lurking around here. :)

Return to “Legal Employment”