Median@T2...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Median@T2...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:15 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Transferthrowaway

Re: Median@T2...

Postby Transferthrowaway » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Median at (very) low-ranked T2. I had hoped to be somebody...important, once upon a time. Now, I'll just settle for Shitlaw, if I can get even get there, with over half the class unable to find legal work.

At least my wife is in medical school in the same city as me, most likely entering primary care or psychiatry, which should start her off in this region around 170-200k post-residency. The best I can hope for is to find some job in ShitLaw and try to supplement her income.

I know I should be grateful, but living off a joint gross income of say, 200-250k just sounds depressing, when we have about 200k in total loans.

You sound like the prime candidate to drop out and do something more worthwhile.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Median at (very) low-ranked T2. I had hoped to be somebody...important, once upon a time. Now, I'll just settle for Shitlaw, if I can get even get there, with over half the class unable to find legal work.

At least my wife is in medical school in the same city as me, most likely entering primary care or psychiatry, which should start her off in this region around 170-200k post-residency. The best I can hope for is to find some job in ShitLaw and try to supplement her income.

I know I should be grateful, but living off a joint gross income of say, 200-250k (not to mention the 4 years of residency before that) just sounds depressing, when we have about 200k in total loans.

-_-

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:36 pm

rayiner wrote:

I know I should be grateful, but living off a joint gross income of say, 200-250k (not to mention the 4 years of residency before that) just sounds depressing, when we have about 200k in total loans.

-_-

Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:And, really, 200-250k/year is not a lot of money, especially while we serve our debt-load over the decade post-graduation.

SwampRat88

Postby SwampRat88 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:02 pm

bk1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:And, really, 200-250k/year is not a lot of money, especially while we serve our debt-load over the decade post-graduation.

What do most Biglaw/transfers to in-house/whatever make at peak career?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:26 am

I know I should be grateful, but living off a joint gross income of say, 200-250k (not to mention the 4 years of residency before that) just sounds depressing, when we have about 200k in total loans upon completion.

Primary care even in a major market won't pay anywhere near 200K. Your wife's best shot at success is to be hired at Kaiser since health care reform has ruined any chance of a successful private practice. Kaiser will pay $130K max to new grads. I would recommend she try for a specialty because it's a rough market out there for medicine as well.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:

I know I should be grateful, but living off a joint gross income of say, 200-250k (not to mention the 4 years of residency before that) just sounds depressing, when we have about 200k in total loans upon completion.

Primary care even in a major market won't pay anywhere near 200K. Your wife's best shot at success is to be hired at Kaiser since health care reform has ruined any chance of a successful private practice. Kaiser will pay $130K max to new grads. I would recommend she try for a specialty because it's a rough market out there for medicine as well.

I will do no such thing

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:34 am

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:
rayiner wrote:

-_-

It's all relative. While I may be somewhat comfortable financially in the future, I have a fulfilling career in ShitLaw awaiting me, and that is the best one can hope for, with plenty of students looking for cashier jobs and substitute teaching.

And, really, 200-250k/year is not a lot of money, especially while we serve our debt-load over the decade post-graduation.

Loan payments on $200k of debt is about $45,000 pre-tax. So even after servicing your debt you've got the equivalent of a $150-$200k/year household income. Ie: triple to quadruple the national median household income. Even relatively, you're a huge tool.

pany1985

Postby pany1985 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:26 am

Sounds like you're perfectly set up for a "stay home and take care of the kids" (or "potential future kids", if you don't have any yet) position while your wife goes out and rakes in the $$$. Or at least that's probably what I'd do. But I'm really lazy and would really enjoy not having to work*.

*Disclaimer - I realize that housewives/husbands often work very hard performing various vital duties such as cleaning, childcare, etc. But if it were me, I probably wouldn't do much. I'd probably just subscribe to Netflix, nestle into a comfortable position on the couch with a bag of BBQ chips within reach, and maybe every couple hours get up to make sure the kids are still alive.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:55 am

You are a lucky bastard... most of your classmates will not have such good luck. You not being able to get a job isn't going to be life or death for your family. You don't have a lot of pressure other than the notion that "the man should make more money than the woman."

I might actually consider dropping out and trying a different degree IE accounting or nursing.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:02 am

if she is in medical school, then it's going to be a while before your family makes any money...3 years of residency plus more if she does a fellowship. so you will need to put together a plan for that period since you may be unemployed and she may just have an income of 40-45k. it may be rough but at least there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

130k? That's completely false.

http://www.merritthawkins.com/uploadedF ... urvPDF.pdf

Go to page 9.

kahechsof

Postby kahechsof » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

130k? That's completely false.

http://www.merritthawkins.com/uploadedF ... urvPDF.pdf

Go to page 9.

Hmmm. Shoulda been a dermatologist

Return to “Legal Employment”