Chicago Associates: Where to Live? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which downtown Chicago is the most awesome?

Streeterville
11%
Gold Coast
19%
Old Town
6%
Lincoln Park
36%
The Loop
6%
River North
22%

Total votes: 36

Bronte

Gold

Chicago Associates: Where to Live?

Post by Bronte » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:21 pm

Figured it was time for a Chicago living thread. Unlike the New York thread, we won't have to complain about how terrible the living conditions are because Chicago is awesome. Let's also talk about the best means of renting for the summer: From a NU law student? Corporate apartment? Through a broker or apartment finder? Also feel free to add to the random selection of neighborhoods currently in the poll.

Here's a neighborhood map to inform the discussion:

Last edited by Bronte on Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buster

New

Re: Chicago Associates: Where to Live?

Post by buster » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:39 pm

All of the above listed neighborhoods are good options, depending on individual situations, but I'd also recommend looking into public transportation and figuring out what train/bus lines run from your place to the office.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:40 pm

buster wrote:All of the above listed neighborhoods are good options, depending on individual situations, but I'd also recommend looking into public transportation and figuring out what train/bus lines run from your place to the office.
All good topics of discussion. :D We've got some catching up to do to match the page count of the NY thread.

Edit: also, how much are you looking to pay monthly?
Last edited by Bronte on Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:41 pm

I like the River North area, but I'm not sure that it'd actually be a good place to live. I just hate commuting so it wouldn't surprise me if, if I live in Chicago, I chose to live there.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:52 pm

Depends a little on where you work. Most firms seem to be in River North or North Loop (on either side of the river basically). Streeterville is a quick commute, especially to Kirkland in River North, but is a little bit out of the way. It's super clean and very quiet, but dining options aren't great and it's a bit far from the subway. Gold Coast is very upscale and there are a lot of nicer places to drink/eat along Rush, so that would be a good choice, but it's not walking distance to any firm. The Loop is pretty commercial and while it would be walking distance to a number of firms, there isn't much to do. Lincoln Park is a relatively long commute into downtown, and has a very young/fratty feel to it. Tons of cheaper bars and restaurants though.

My choice would be River North, basically a bit south and west of Streeterville. Good number of nicer places to eat, very nice high-rise apartments, and a very quick walking or bus commute to most firms.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:05 pm

River West. Fucking recognize. Love it out here. The 66 and 56 will take you to damn near any firm.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:08 pm

bjsesq wrote:River West. Fucking recognize. Love it out here. The 66 and 56 will take you to damn near any firm.
What's so awesome about it?

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:11 pm

Bronte wrote:
bjsesq wrote:River West. Fucking recognize. Love it out here. The 66 and 56 will take you to damn near any firm.
What's so awesome about it?

It's about feel for me. I am from a small town, so I like a neighborhoody feel with less high rises and less traffic. River west fits that bill perfectly. Tons of great restaurants, plus it is also cheaper than the loop, gold coast, streeterville, river north, etc. It is also close enough to the firms that commuting concerns are non-existent. I just enjoy it here.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:10 pm

count me in!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:47 am

bump!

RMstratosphere

Bronze

Post by RMstratosphere » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:57 am

Gold coast, FTW.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:22 am

Old Town. Close to Lincoln Park but a shorter commute to the loop, and cheaper than River North or Gold Coast.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:48 pm

I couldn't be happier to live on the blue line - it's a quick trip to either the airport or the Loop, and rent is far cheaper than what you'd pay living closer to the lake. There are also a ton of cool bars and restaurants. Don't overlook the west side...it's a common mistake of Chicago newcomers.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:58 pm

Chicago new-comer here - what am I looking at in terms of /month price range? River North/West specifically

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:44 pm

Living by yourself in River North, I'd say around 1400 for studio and 1900 for 1 bedroom. River West probably 1200/1600, respectively. These rates drop pretty quickly (and the apartment size increases) when you get farther from the loop.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Living by yourself in River North, I'd say around 1400 for studio and 1900 for 1 bedroom. River West probably 1200/1600, respectively. These rates drop pretty quickly (and the apartment size increases) when you get farther from the loop.
Now that's what I'm talking about. You can live like a grown ass man on a law firm salary on these sorts of prices. Sure they aren't dirt cheap, but they aren't downright ludicrous like another market that's talked about like it's the only one that matters...

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:16 pm

Living off the blue/red/brown lines is credited. Checkout: Roscoe Village, Logan Square, Bucktown, Wickerpark, Uki Village, River West, etc. Also don't sleep on Printers Row/South Loop, it's on the rise. Also if you aren't square/skered, you might check out Pilson and other areas near trains.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Chicago new-comer here - what am I looking at in terms of /month price range? River North/West specifically
1000-1500 dollar range for a one bedroom in River West. 1500 is pretty high for out here, though. Some places will go as low as 8 or 900.

D-hops

Silver

Post by D-hops » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:07 pm

Living in Lakeview near the red or brown line is a good way to save a lot of money and it is a 20-30 minute commute downtown.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:02 pm

You also sacrifice a lot of fun stuff living downtown. There's much more going on in any of the neighborhoods, and a lot fewer tourists and homeless people.

RMstratosphere

Bronze

Post by RMstratosphere » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:13 pm

I've never had to operate mass transit in Chicago. Can anyone talk about the differences between L lines. Are any more reliable or otherwise better?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:14 pm

I lament the fact that I'm basically going to have to live in the south loop so that my fiance maintains reasonable access to UChicago. Bah.

kahechsof

Bronze

Post by kahechsof » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:15 pm

Go for Sauganash (upper left corner). That's where Home Alone was shot.

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:25 pm

RMstratosphere wrote:I've never had to operate mass transit in Chicago. Can anyone talk about the differences between L lines. Are any more reliable or otherwise better?
IMO...

Brown line = nice, cleanest, safest. Goes to the best neighborhoods.

Blue line = step below Brown in all areas.

Red = dirty, and definitely the least safe out of the three (though thats not to say its unsafe).

All are reliable, but I feel like out of the three, the Blue line has the most delays.

Im from the northside, so I cant speak to much about green, pink, or orange.

If you are looking to save a few bucks and dont mind a 20-30 minute commute downtown, check out the lakeview/roscoe village neighborhood.

masochist

Bronze

Post by masochist » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:46 pm

Oban wrote:Living off the blue/red/brown lines is credited. Checkout: Roscoe Village, Logan Square, Bucktown, Wickerpark, Uki Village, River West, etc. Also don't sleep on Printers Row/South Loop, it's on the rise. Also if you aren't square/skered, you might check out Pilson and other areas near trains.
I second Ukranian Villiage. The loop and Streeterville are very nice, but really boring. Lakeview is a good mix of cheap, fun, and close to downtown.

Andersonville is also awesome, but it is hard to get there from downtown. I'm also fond of Uptown, but I have an unusually high tolerance for crack dealers and an affinity for Pho.

Whatever you do, avoid Wrigleyville. There is no more obnoxious neighborhood in Chicago than Wrigleyville. You cannot truly understand the horror that is Wrigleyville until you live there for a summer's worth of Cubs games. I speak from experience.

Oh, and I forgot Lincoln Square. It is inexepensive, there are things to do, and it is the home to the worst bar in Chicago (The Sav More Lounge, check it out).

This makes me miss Chicago :(

Edit: I forgot that I like Lincoln Square

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”