Should I dry-clean a brand new suit for an interview?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273396
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Should I dry-clean a brand new suit for an interview?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:41 pm

Or should I just wear the suit? Also, would it be acceptable for me to leave the blazer unbuttoned if I feel more comfortable in it that way? (first time I'm wearing a suit, as you might be able to tell)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273396
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Should I dry-clean a brand new suit for an interview?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Or should I just wear the suit? Also, would it be acceptable for me to leave the blazer unbuttoned if I feel more comfortable in it that way? (first time I'm wearing a suit, as you might be able to tell)


1. Doesn't matter if you dry-clean it or not. No one will care or notice
2. Doesn't matter if you keep it buttoned or unbuttoned. No one will care or notice

Anonymous User
Posts: 273396
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Should I dry-clean a brand new suit for an interview?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:45 pm

Dry-clean it if it's a wrinkled or dirty; if neither then leave it alone.

It is fine to have the jacket unbuttoned the entire time. If you aren't used to wearing a suit and the suit actually fits (i.e., it won't look weird on you while unbuttoned and standing) then I'd just leave it unbuttoned so you don't have to fumble with it.

Note, if it's a 2 button jacket, only button the top button. If it's a 3 button, only button the top two buttons.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273396
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Should I dry-clean a brand new suit for an interview?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Or should I just wear the suit? Also, would it be acceptable for me to leave the blazer unbuttoned if I feel more comfortable in it that way? (first time I'm wearing a suit, as you might be able to tell)


1. Doesn't matter if you dry-clean it or not. No one will care or notice
2. Doesn't matter if you keep it buttoned or unbuttoned. No one will care or notice


Don't sit down with the jacket buttoned, it's likely to look real awkward.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273396
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Should I dry-clean a brand new suit for an interview?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Or should I just wear the suit? Also, would it be acceptable for me to leave the blazer unbuttoned if I feel more comfortable in it that way? (first time I'm wearing a suit, as you might be able to tell)


1. Doesn't matter if you dry-clean it or not. No one will care or notice
2. Doesn't matter if you keep it buttoned or unbuttoned. No one will care or notice


Don't sit down with the jacket buttoned, it's likely to look real awkward.


I was going to add that in. I never keep a jacket buttoned during an interview. The moment you sit down, it looks weird. And you dont want to be continuously fumbling with buttons to open and close it as you sit and stand. Keep it buttoned until you get there, but you can open it as soon as you sit down for the first time.

User avatar
MrPapagiorgio
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: Should I dry-clean a brand new suit for an interview?

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:48 pm

I would dry clean it, but I clean all new clothes once before I wear them. So no, you don't have to.
And a quick tip about suits and jacket buttons: when you are standing, you typically leave it buttoned and unbutton it when you sit.

Three button: Sometimes fasten the top button, always fasten the middle, never fasten the bottom.
Two button: Fasten the top button, don't fasten the bottom button.
One button: Obvious

User avatar
snailio
Posts: 209
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:40 am

Re: Should I dry-clean a brand new suit for an interview?

Postby snailio » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:52 pm

Tonight at your leisure, take a black light into a dark room and run it ova the suit to check for area's of contamination, if it passes this inspection the suit is safe to wear. Also try to make sure you put the button into it's matching hole.


Good luck

and stay well my friend

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Should I dry-clean a brand new suit for an interview?

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:54 pm

Dear people who need to be anonymous to give dry-cleaning and suit-buttoning advice: This is why we cannot have nice things.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Should I dry-clean a brand new suit for an interview?

Postby Grizz » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:55 pm

Press the suit, don't dry clean it, broseph

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Should I dry-clean a brand new suit for an interview?

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:56 pm

Helmholtz wrote:Dear people who need to be anonymous to give dry-cleaning and suit-buttoning advice: This is why we cannot have nice things.

:lol: :lol:

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: Should I dry-clean a brand new suit for an interview?

Postby Bronte » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:57 pm

For future reference, this is a good thread for questions and some background reading on the subject: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=63606. Standard practice to button the jacket's top button (assuming it's two button) when you're standing and unbutton it when you're sitting. If you're not comfortable executing this procedure, just leave it unfastened. Also, FYI, a blazer is a casual jacket, not a suit jacket.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Should I dry-clean a brand new suit for an interview?

Postby traehekat » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:04 pm

you dont really want to dry clean a suit unnecessarily, so i wouldn't bother.

User avatar
snailio
Posts: 209
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:40 am

Re: Should I dry-clean a brand new suit for an interview?

Postby snailio » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:07 pm

Bronte wrote:For future reference, this is a good thread for questions and some background reading on the subject: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 23&t=63606. Standard practice to button the jacket's top button (assuming it's two button) when you're standing and unbutton it when you're sitting. If you're not comfortable executing this procedure, just leave it unfastened. Also, FYI, a blazer is a casual jacket, not a suit jacket.





This: A golden thread

mrloblaw
Posts: 534
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: Should I dry-clean a brand new suit for an interview?

Postby mrloblaw » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:18 pm

I can't be the only one who notices when law students do not observe standard suit-buttoning protocol; a buttoned suit looks better while standing, especially if everything does not fit perfectly (and let's face it: most law students do not properly update their wardrobe every time they gain/lose five pounds).

If you feel that it's awkward to fumble with the suit buttons when sitting/standing, practice at home. Seriously. Looking like a freaking idiot for an hour in front of the mirror alone is better than looking like you don't know how to dress yourself in every interview you'll have for the rest of your life. You should be able to button/unbutton with one hand in a smooth, non-attention grabbing motion.

dixiecupdrinking
Posts: 3142
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: Should I dry-clean a brand new suit for an interview?

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:26 pm

mrloblaw wrote:I can't be the only one who notices when law students do not observe standard suit-buttoning protocol; a buttoned suit looks better while standing, especially if everything does not fit perfectly (and let's face it: most law students do not properly update their wardrobe every time they gain/lose five pounds).

If you feel that it's awkward to fumble with the suit buttons when sitting/standing, practice at home. Seriously. Looking like a freaking idiot for an hour in front of the mirror alone is better than looking like you don't know how to dress yourself in every interview you'll have for the rest of your life. You should be able to button/unbutton with one hand in a smooth, non-attention grabbing motion.

Counterpoint: 75% of the attorneys you meet with at an interview will look like they tied their necktie like they tie their shoes (or, if business casual, like they haven't pressed their pants in 20 years, etc.).

Yours is certainly the proper style advice but is vanishingly unlikely to be something most interviewers notice or care about. Worth taking into consideration but fairly low on the typical law student's list of proper concerns going into a job interview.

User avatar
Naked Dude
Posts: 746
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:09 pm

Re: Should I dry-clean a brand new suit for an interview?

Postby Naked Dude » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:34 pm

mrloblaw wrote:I can't be the only one who notices when law students do not observe standard suit-buttoning protocol; a buttoned suit looks better while standing, especially if everything does not fit perfectly (and let's face it: most law students do not properly update their wardrobe every time they gain/lose five pounds).

If you feel that it's awkward to fumble with the suit buttons when sitting/standing, practice at home. Seriously. Looking like a freaking idiot for an hour in front of the mirror alone is better than looking like you don't know how to dress yourself in every interview you'll have for the rest of your life. You should be able to button/unbutton with one hand in a smooth, non-attention grabbing motion.


As a stress not-eater (not that I've been stressed yet, just that I'm too lazy to go to the grocery store or leave my apartment to get food) , I've lost 10 pounds since starting law school, and my suit is looking boxy. Still, needed to lose that weight...feels good...I daresay I won't stop until I'm Christian Bale in The Machinist.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Should I dry-clean a brand new suit for an interview?

Postby 03121202698008 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:36 pm

Grizz wrote:Press the suit, don't dry clean it, broseph

User avatar
Naked Dude
Posts: 746
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:09 pm

Re: Should I dry-clean a brand new suit for an interview?

Postby Naked Dude » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:41 pm

blowhard wrote:
Grizz wrote:Press the suit, don't dry clean it, broseph


Also this-you'll get a lot more mileage out of your suit if you press it instead of dry clean. My father (who is not an authority, just wears lots of suits) dry cleans them once a year--and no more than that unless they're filthy-i.e. shootout in the Sonoran Desert filthy.

mrloblaw
Posts: 534
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: Should I dry-clean a brand new suit for an interview?

Postby mrloblaw » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:55 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
mrloblaw wrote:I can't be the only one who notices when law students do not observe standard suit-buttoning protocol; a buttoned suit looks better while standing, especially if everything does not fit perfectly (and let's face it: most law students do not properly update their wardrobe every time they gain/lose five pounds).

If you feel that it's awkward to fumble with the suit buttons when sitting/standing, practice at home. Seriously. Looking like a freaking idiot for an hour in front of the mirror alone is better than looking like you don't know how to dress yourself in every interview you'll have for the rest of your life. You should be able to button/unbutton with one hand in a smooth, non-attention grabbing motion.

Counterpoint: 75% of the attorneys you meet with at an interview will look like they tied their necktie like they tie their shoes (or, if business casual, like they haven't pressed their pants in 20 years, etc.).

Yours is certainly the proper style advice but is vanishingly unlikely to be something most interviewers notice or care about. Worth taking into consideration but fairly low on the typical law student's list of proper concerns going into a job interview.


Fair enough. Fashion is indeed a dying art in this country. If you'll excuse me, I need to go change into my Air Jordan's, a pair of khakis, and an un-stuffed thigh-length dress shirt, sans collar stays.

dixiecupdrinking
Posts: 3142
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: Should I dry-clean a brand new suit for an interview?

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:01 pm

mrloblaw wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:
mrloblaw wrote:I can't be the only one who notices when law students do not observe standard suit-buttoning protocol; a buttoned suit looks better while standing, especially if everything does not fit perfectly (and let's face it: most law students do not properly update their wardrobe every time they gain/lose five pounds).

If you feel that it's awkward to fumble with the suit buttons when sitting/standing, practice at home. Seriously. Looking like a freaking idiot for an hour in front of the mirror alone is better than looking like you don't know how to dress yourself in every interview you'll have for the rest of your life. You should be able to button/unbutton with one hand in a smooth, non-attention grabbing motion.

Counterpoint: 75% of the attorneys you meet with at an interview will look like they tied their necktie like they tie their shoes (or, if business casual, like they haven't pressed their pants in 20 years, etc.).

Yours is certainly the proper style advice but is vanishingly unlikely to be something most interviewers notice or care about. Worth taking into consideration but fairly low on the typical law student's list of proper concerns going into a job interview.


Fair enough. Fashion is indeed a dying art in this country. If you'll excuse me, I need to go change into my Air Jordan's, a pair of khakis, and an un-stuffed thigh-length dress shirt, sans collar stays.

TYVM. Can I offer you a job?

User avatar
Naked Dude
Posts: 746
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:09 pm

Re: Should I dry-clean a brand new suit for an interview?

Postby Naked Dude » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:05 pm

mrloblaw wrote:sans collar stays.


By far my biggest dress pet peeve. *Shudder*

azntwice
Posts: 160
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:46 pm

Re: Should I dry-clean a brand new suit for an interview?

Postby azntwice » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:24 pm

all buttoning advice applies if you are male. if you are female, button all buttons if standing and unbutton all buttons if sitting. also, i wouldn't take the risk of dry cleaning it before the interview as you have no clue what the cleaner might do to a perfectly good suit. just hang it up in the bathroom while you take a hot shower and let it steam out a bit.

Eco
Posts: 325
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:37 pm

Re: Should I dry-clean a brand new suit for an interview?

Postby Eco » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:27 pm

Don't dry clean a new suit, it is already dry cleaned, assuming you bought it from somewhere nice. And make sure your suit is nice- don't target or JC penny this. The firms want someone who looks good to represent them.

Finally, buttoning your suit is not important, but it is more professional to do so. In your case, I don't reccomend it. You will have trouble opening the button when sitting down and you'll look dumb.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Should I dry-clean a brand new suit for an interview?

Postby Grizz » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:52 am

Eco wrote:
Finally, buttoning your suit is not important, but it is more professional to do so. In your case, I don't reccomend it. You will have trouble opening the button when sitting down and you'll look dumb.

Ya if you have Parkinsons.

anongoodnurse
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 5:14 pm

Re: Should I dry-clean a brand new suit for an interview?

Postby anongoodnurse » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:33 am

Also this-you'll get a lot more mileage out of your suit if you press it instead of dry clean. My father (who is not an authority, just wears lots of suits) dry cleans them once a year--and no more than that unless they're filthy-i.e. shootout in the Sonoran Desert filthy.


This. Every time you dry clean a suit, the chemicals strip off the very top layer of fabric. It doesn't take too many times before the suit gets threadbare. I just lost my favorite suit a few months back because of this. I took it in to the tailor to try to fix the holes in the crotch, and he said don't bother because there will be new ones after a few more wears. He asked how often I dry cleaned it, and I said every half dozen wears or so (usually a couple of months, but sometimes as often as a few weeks). He said that that was the problem -- I was basically dry cleaning it 6-8 times a year, which is about 5-7 times too many.

Here's what he recommended: Dry clean once a year, or even less often if you can get away with it. When it gets wrinkled, have it pressed. For any spots or smudges, first try to dab it off with a damp cloth. If that doesn't work, take it to the cleaners and ask if they can get the spot off without dry cleaning. If that's impossible, dry clean the jacket only (if that's where the spot is) -- the wear on that is less than on the pants. If you have to wear suits on back-to-back days, alternate them so the pants don't get too smelly. If that's starting to become a problem anyway, gently spray with Febreeze, but use as little as possible.

And yes, I had an issue with wearing a pair of pants 20-30 times between washes. The tailor said it's my choice -- replace the suit every five years or so, or do what he says.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.