i am a liar.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

i am a liar.

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:46 pm

so...really dumb sitch. i lied to recruiting about having an offer on the table when i don't. just fell out of my mouth cuz he was probing, and i said the name of the firm (not in the same market). and i'm not even in the habit of doing such things, i have no idea where it came from. really upset with myself, obviously. consequences?

Anonymous User

Re: i am a liar.

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:49 pm

Probably no consequences. Its not like they will check with the other firm to confirm your comment. But I'm not sure what would compel such stupidity. When put on the spot by the judge, will you babble out whatever you think he/she wants to hear?

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:50 pm

why the fuck would you lie to recruiting about having an offer (from a firm in a different market)

wtf is going on here

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Probably no consequences. Its not like they will check with the other firm to confirm your comment. But I'm not sure what would compel such stupidity. When put on the spot by the judge, will you babble out whatever you think he/she wants to hear?

I agree....likely no consequences. I think subconsciously OP was thinking that it would make him more marketable, and the firm would want to act fast. Not sure if this is really how it works, though.

KamaalTheAbstract

Postby KamaalTheAbstract » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Probably no consequences. Its not like they will check with the other firm to confirm your comment. But I'm not sure what would compel such stupidity. When put on the spot by the judge, will you babble out whatever you think he/she wants to hear?

God I hate when you people try to liken things to hypothetical courtroom situations. It's so corny.
Last edited by KamaalTheAbstract on Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:56 pm

What negative consequences could there possibly be if you had a legit reason for that firm's location? It's not like this firm is going to think, "hmm, OP here already has an offer, and candidate 2 doesn't have any. I guess we should give it to candidate 2!!!" On the other hand, you'll probably get a response before whenever you said you needed to know by.

TheFriendlyBarber

Postby TheFriendlyBarber » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:01 pm

My son, you are forgiven.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:22 pm

Helmholtz wrote:why the fuck would you lie to recruiting about having an offer (from a firm in a different market)

wtf is going on here

Hah, yea. Morally not a big deal that you said that, but telling a firm you're looking at another city enough to do a CB? Not good for your offer chances.

snailio

Postby snailio » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:12 pm

Helmholtz wrote:why the fuck would you lie to recruiting about having an offer (from a firm in a different market)

wtf is going on here

Wow! I don't know what to say.

johndhi

Postby johndhi » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:16 pm

Sucks but yer prob cool. This is funny - a friend of mine has the funny situation where she keeps lying in her interviews by total accident - nothing that will help her cause, but just random things like clerking in a different district than she actually did.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:18 pm

johndhi wrote:Sucks but yer prob cool. This is funny - a friend of mine has the funny situation where she keeps lying in her interviews by total accident - nothing that will help her cause, but just random things like clerking in a different district than she actually did.

I had a friend who was a compulsive liar as well. The guy was in college with me and everything he said was a lie. I don't know why I didn't call him out on it more often. He claimed to be a presidential speechwriter, and I'm thinking "maybe thats why politicians never tell the truth". Hopefully it bit him in the ass after graduation.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:19 pm

johndhi wrote:Sucks but yer prob cool. This is funny - a friend of mine has the funny situation where she keeps lying in her interviews by total accident - nothing that will help her cause, but just random things like clerking in a different district than she actually did.

Lol, which district you clerked in is not a random thing. That's much worse than OP's lie and much more easily verified. At best, if she gets an offer there she can't accept. At worst, it could be discovered and reported.

Edit: also, how the hell would you not have the district on your resume.
Last edited by Bronte on Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johndhi

Postby johndhi » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:24 pm

Bronte wrote:

Lol, which district you clerked in is not a random thing. That's much worse than OP's lie and much more easily verified. At best, if she gets an offer there she can't accept. At worst, it could be discovered and reported.

I'm referring to a summer internship with a judge - sorry for the confusion. I don't think it's the biggest deal - eastern district of x versus northern district of x or something. Not good but not Armageddon.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:27 pm

johndhi wrote:
Bronte wrote:

I'm referring to a summer internship with a judge - sorry for the confusion. I don't think it's the biggest deal - eastern district of x versus northern district of x or something. Not good but not Armageddon.

It's not Armageddon, but it does have the implications that I mentioned. I guess she can try to pass it off as a slip up, but I wouldn't accept an offer at that firm and have it hanging over my head. Obviously, some could be worse than others, like saying you interned in SDNY when you interned in EDNY.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:38 pm

True story from this year: One of my friends did the same thing, during a callback, accidentally told the HIRING PARTNER of a V10 she had an offer from one of her 1L firms (which she didn't). She felt terrible, later called and left a message saying she was mistaken and didn't really get an offer. She cried and wanted to killself and was sure she'd blown it. A few weeks later they gave her an offer. (which she couldn't accept because she had already accepted offers elsewhere)

Moral of the story, never rule anything out.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:47 pm

Isn't the moral of the story "don't lie in job interviews, you fucktards"?

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:52 pm

paratactical wrote:Isn't the moral of the story "don't lie in job interviews, you fucktards"?

:D !

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:06 pm

Even in different cities, law can be a small world.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:16 pm

paratactical wrote:Isn't the moral of the story "don't lie in job interviews, you fucktards"?

haha. :lol: yeah. good point.

But if you must be a fucktard, try to stay positive after doing fucktard things like that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Even in different cities, law can be a small world.

OP here. thanks for making me even more paranoid. i guess i deserve it. i didn't get rejected from that first firm, so...maybe i won't turn out to be a liar. or maybe they'll chit chat as you suggest and i'll lose out on both?

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:16 pm

I don't think they'll end up talking, but you'd be surprised. I talked to one recruiter at a firm in SF, and she pretty much knew a lot of the other recruiters at the major firms in the city.

I'd be more worried about expressing interest in a firm in another market, to be honest. It might give them qualms about your commitment to that market longterm.

Eco

Postby Eco » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:28 pm

There is only ONE negative consequence that NOBODY in here talked about- the fact that the guy you lied to is a lawyer who knows BS when he sees it. If he even thinks that you lied to him, it'll negatively impact your chances of being offered.

KamaalTheAbstract

Postby KamaalTheAbstract » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:14 am

Eco wrote:There is only ONE negative consequence that NOBODY in here talked about- the fact that the guy you lied to is a lawyer who knows BS when he sees it. If he even thinks that you lied to him, it'll negatively impact your chances of being offered.

Oh my God, shut up.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:17 am

Eco wrote:There is only ONE negative consequence that NOBODY in here talked about- the fact that the guy you lied to is a lawyer who knows BS when he sees it. If he even thinks that you lied to him, it'll negatively impact your chances of being offered.

I think OP told the recruiter, bro.

Return to “Legal Employment”