New York Litigation: Paul Weiss or Davis Polk?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

New York litigation: Davis Polk or Paul Weiss?

Davis Polk
22
46%
Paul Weiss
26
54%
 
Total votes: 48

Anonymous User
Posts: 273169
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

New York Litigation: Paul Weiss or Davis Polk?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:53 pm

.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273169
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: New York Litigation: Paul Weiss or Davis Polk?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:02 pm

How sure are you that you want to do litigation? I know a lot of people who went into their 2L SA dead set on lit, but ended up in corp. The nice thing about DPW is that if you decide that you want to do corporate at some point, you're in one of the best places in the world to do it. Same can't be said for Paul Weiss. But on the flip side, they're both in Band 1 of Elite Litigation firms on Chambers, so even if you end up in lit at DPW, you'll still be at one of the best litigation firms in the country.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273169
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: New York Litigation: Paul Weiss or Davis Polk?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:30 pm

def paul weiss if you are set on litigation. DPW is very heavily geared towards their corporate department.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273169
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: New York Litigation: Paul Weiss or Davis Polk?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:12 pm

Interesting split. Even though Paul Weiss is heavy on litigation, whereas Davis Polk is 75% corporate/25% litigation, Davis Polk's reputation/ranking seems to trump.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273169
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: New York Litigation: Paul Weiss or Davis Polk?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:def paul weiss if you are set on litigation. DPW is very heavily geared towards their corporate department.


Just because their corporate department is a heavy-hitter, does not in any way mean that their litigation department is lacking. Still Band 1 Elite Litigation on Chambers. (And the partner:associate leverage is actually better in the litigation department at DPW, compared to Paul Weiss.)

TheFriendlyBarber
Posts: 258
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:13 am

Re: New York Litigation: Paul Weiss or Davis Polk?

Postby TheFriendlyBarber » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:22 pm

Paul Weiss clearly.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: New York Litigation: Paul Weiss or Davis Polk?

Postby rayiner » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Interesting split. Even though Paul Weiss is heavy on litigation, whereas Davis Polk is 75% corporate/25% litigation, Davis Polk's reputation/ranking seems to trump.


DPW's NY office has 334 attorneys in corp, 207 in lit, 43 in tax, and 6 in T&E.

The overall firm's #'s are more skewed to corporate because all of the foreign offices are almost entirely corp.

imchuckbass58
Posts: 1245
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: New York Litigation: Paul Weiss or Davis Polk?

Postby imchuckbass58 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:def paul weiss if you are set on litigation. DPW is very heavily geared towards their corporate department.


TheFriendlyBarber wrote:Paul Weiss clearly.


Why? Who cares that PW does mainly lit? In fact, that's arguably a knock against them.

Nobody in the real world seriously claims that PW and DPW are on different levels in terms of lit - they are both top New York litigation firms. Objective rankings bear out as much.

OP, the two firms are fairly different in terms of culture - did you have any sort of preference? Beyond that, you may want to consider leverage (PW is higher), and practice area strength if you have a specific area in mind.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273169
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: New York Litigation: Paul Weiss or Davis Polk?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:13 pm

In my case, these were the only two firms that I received call-backs from. I subsequently turned both into offers...I think I'm going to go with Davis Polk.

While people were cordial, and polite in both places during visits, I sensed that Davis Polk was a little more reserved in style. It was a little better fit for me. A classmate told me that he turned down Davis Polk for that very reason.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273169
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: New York Litigation: Paul Weiss or Davis Polk?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:While people were cordial, and polite in both places during visits, I sensed that Davis Polk was a little more reserved in style. It was a little better fit for me. A classmate told me that he turned down Davis Polk for that very reason.


This is also the sense I got, and this is a good reason to choose Davis Polk over PW (though my own attributes led me the other way).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273169
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: New York Litigation: Paul Weiss or Davis Polk?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:While people were cordial, and polite in both places during visits, I sensed that Davis Polk was a little more reserved in style. It was a little better fit for me. A classmate told me that he turned down Davis Polk for that very reason.


This is also the sense I got, and this is a good reason to choose Davis Polk over PW (though my own attributes led me the other way).


Contrast the following:

At Paul Weiss offer dinner, head partner in Corp department gets wasted, and delivers a slurred speech, employing no less than 2 expletives, also indicates that he hated law school.

At Davis Polk offer dinner, hiring partner W M, delivers a polished toast, over a glass of cabernet, and offers congratulations to the offerees for their many offers.

User avatar
camstant
Posts: 193
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:59 am

Re: New York Litigation: Paul Weiss or Davis Polk?

Postby camstant » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:58 pm

Sorry for partying.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273169
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: New York Litigation: Paul Weiss or Davis Polk?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Contrast the following:

At Paul Weiss offer dinner, head partner in Corp department gets wasted, and delivers a slurred speech, employing no less than 2 expletives, also indicates that he hated law school.

At Davis Polk offer dinner, hiring partner W M, delivers a polished toast, over a glass of cabernet, and offers congratulations to the offerees for their many offers.


Paul Weiss it is!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273169
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: New York Litigation: Paul Weiss or Davis Polk?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Contrast the following:

At Paul Weiss offer dinner, head partner in Corp department gets wasted, and delivers a slurred speech, employing no less than 2 expletives, also indicates that he hated law school.

At Davis Polk offer dinner, hiring partner W M, delivers a polished toast, over a glass of cabernet, and offers congratulations to the offerees for their many offers.


Paul Weiss it is!


Anon quoted by the offer dinner anecdotalist, and I'm (obviously) with you aswell.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.