Radio Silence

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Radio Silence

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:29 am

Haven't heard from firms I mass mailed...is this good or bad...? What is the best way to follow up?

Thanks.

Helmholtz

Re: Radio Silence

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:Haven't heard from firms I mass mailed...is this good or bad...? What is the best way to follow up?

Thanks.

I mass-mailed before OCI. About 40% of the firms got back to me right away. 5% got back to me after a while, unprompted. 15% of the firms got back to me after I sent them an update. 40% just never responded even after I followed up with them.

While it's obviously not a good thing that they haven't responded, follow up and let them know you're still interested. The legal recruiters are probably still very busy. It's easy to get lost in the shuffle. Update/follow up with any firm that you've been waiting on longer than two weeks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:39 am

Helmholtz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Haven't heard from firms I mass mailed...is this good or bad...? What is the best way to follow up?

Thanks.

I mass-mailed before OCI. About 40% of the firms got back to me right away. 5% got back to me after a while, unprompted. 15% of the firms got back to me after I sent them an update. 40% just never responded even after I followed up with them.

While it's obviously not a good thing that they haven't responded, follow up and let them know you're still interested. The legal recruiters are probably still very busy. It's easy to get lost in the shuffle. Update/follow up with any firm that you've been waiting on longer than two weeks.

Thanks. When updating, should I attached the relevant documents again?

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

Thanks.

Thanks. When updating, should I attached the relevant documents again?

I'm not sure it's necessary, but it really can't hurt, only help.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:25 am

You should follow up with them for sure, but with the realization that radio silence on September 19th will almost assuredly mean bad news. But you could still get a nibble or two.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:56 am

5ky wrote:You should follow up with them for sure, but with the realization that radio silence on September 19th will almost assuredly mean bad news. But you could still get a nibble or two.

Yeah... It's been awful so far..

lawhawk

Postby lawhawk » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:32 pm

Call when you follow up. Leave a voicemail if you have to. The interviews I got from mass mail mostly came from the follow up phone call.

It's too easy to just delete an email. Plus, the recruiters only get about 159730957 emails a day from applicants.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:14 pm

lawhawk wrote:Call when you follow up. Leave a voicemail if you have to. The interviews I got from mass mail mostly came from the follow up phone call.

It's too easy to just delete an email. Plus, the recruiters only get about 159730957 emails a day from applicants.

This is a good idea. I should probably leave my phone number?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:29 pm

It is going on 4 weeks since I had a screener with a firm at OCI. I emailed the interviewer last Monday, no response. I called the recruiting and left a message, no response. How is this professional?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It is going on 4 weeks since I had a screener with a firm at OCI. I emailed the interviewer last Monday, no response. I called the recruiting and left a message, no response. How is this professional?

Firms that are still somewhat interested or undecided will likely get back to you--those that don't respond are usually a 'no'--that was my experience.

KeepitKind

Postby KeepitKind » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:49 pm

Hey Helmholtz -

seems like you followed TLS advice and took mass-mailing pretty seriously. Did this lead to any CB/Offers that you are considering? Or did it end up being a waste b/c the OCI route led to better options anyway?

dedede

Postby dedede » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:51 pm

KeepitKind wrote:Hey Helmholtz -

seems like you followed TLS advice and took mass-mailing pretty seriously. Did this lead to any CB/Offers that you are considering? Or did it end up being a waste b/c the OCI route led to better options anyway?

Not Helmholtz, but one of my mass mails turned into an offer that I am very seriously considering.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:52 pm

PM'd

5ky

Postby 5ky » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:10 pm

No Helmholtz either, but I ended up with a choice from non-OCI that I considered for a bit. There's really no reason to not mass mail unless you're T10 top 10%/LR, imo. There's plenty of firms that won't be attending that make it worthwhile to mail.

courtneylove

Postby courtneylove » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:14 pm

I've called a couple of my mass mails and they don't even want my name, they just tell me to wait.

Return to “Legal Employment”