Got the SA offer - now what?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Got the SA offer - now what?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:08 am

I'm a 2L, go to a decent school, have a SA offer from a V50 that I'm happy with, secondary journal, and taking classes in the area I have interest in.

What do I do now?

Beyond personal satisfaction, what else matters? Try to publish to bolster clerkship apps? Moot court for...? Join organizations? Join a clinic? Intern for a judge?

I'm going to do the work in my classes and make sure I do well, but beyond that, I'm really not sure what I'm supposed to be doing. 1L was focused: get the best GPA you can, try to get on LR/moot court, possibly join some organizations to show involvement and time commitments, and find something decent for the summer in anticipation of OCI for 2L SA's. But what now?

Wavelet

Re: Got the SA offer - now what?

Postby Wavelet » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:12 am

Two year vacation.

ResIpsa21

Postby ResIpsa21 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:17 am

Congratulations, you won law school. If you are one of the many law students who are only happy when they're winning prestige games, you can start gunning for clerkships, since that's the next "legal employment game" that gunners like to play. But really, you just need to keep your GPA reasonably up (not even that much) and enjoy law school while ~70% of your classmates scramble to find employment.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:17 am

lol.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:32 am

I realize that this was a bit of a ridiculous question. However, I'm a transfer and it has just been a whirlwind starting with stress over grades during 1L, struggling to find 1L summer work, anxiety over the transfer process, doing OCI, callbacks, and starting somewhere anew. I'm just now able to stop and take stock of where I am.

I'm definitely going to keep reading and going to class, I want a respectable GPA. I'm going to litigate, but without researching clerkships I don't, as of yet, feel particularly inclined to pursue one. Maybe I need to do that research?

I'm not obsessed with prestige at all, I feel incredibly fortune that it looks like I'll be able to practice the type of law I want and pay back my loans. That's pretty much all I want.

ResIpsa21

Postby ResIpsa21 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:I realize that this was a bit of a ridiculous question. However, I'm a transfer and it has just been a whirlwind starting with stress over grades during 1L, struggling to find 1L summer work, anxiety over the transfer process, doing OCI, callbacks, and starting somewhere anew. I'm just now able to stop and take stock of where I am.

I'm definitely going to keep reading and going to class, I want a respectable GPA. I'm going to litigate, but without researching clerkships I don't, as of yet, feel particularly inclined to pursue one. Maybe I need to do that research?

I'm not obsessed with prestige at all, I feel incredibly fortune that it looks like I'll be able to practice the type of law I want and pay back my loans. That's pretty much all I want.

Then you should be proud not only for winning law school but also for keeping your wits about you and not getting sucked too deep into the game. Clerking is a great experience and you might want to do some research to see if its for you, but it's a fiercely competitive endeavor favoring the top tier gunners (far more than law firm interviewing, even). Since you seem like a decent guy/gal, I'd recommend that you just relax, take a deep breath, have an alcoholic beverage of choice, and be happy.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:01 am

When people say getting biglaw is winning the lottery, they just mean in terms of odds. You're not set for life now. All you did was get a job. A job with very high attrition.

mths

Postby mths » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:06 am

Wavelet wrote:Two year vacation.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:27 am

IAFG wrote:When people say getting biglaw is winning the lottery, they just mean in terms of odds. You're not set for life now. All you did was get a job. A job with very high attrition.

I suppose this may be a necessary disclaimer for some, but certainly not myself.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:35 am

people at my school tend to really enjoy their clinics, so you could join one that might give you skills or experience applicable to litigation (most of them). Other than that, take classes you enjoy, keep your grades up, relax.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:45 am

ResIpsa21 wrote:Congratulations, you won law school. If you are one of the many law students who are only happy when they're winning prestige games, you can start gunning for clerkships, since that's the next "legal employment game" that gunners like to play.

Great post.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:58 am

Wavelet wrote:Two year vacation.

This post is underrated.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:11 am

i have an SA offer. is it worth writing a note for LR even if i don't want to clerk?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i have an SA offer. is it worth writing a note for LR even if i don't want to clerk?

I was thinking about writing a note, but it seems like clerkships are the only reason to really pursue this beyond personal interest.

Is any of this, aside from clerkships, going to matter if we want to make moves around firms after a number of years into our career? Or is it going to be on the merit of our work and reputation by then? Lateraling is the only other career related thing I can think of as being implicated.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:36 pm

Take a poop and floss.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:04 pm

Once you have an SA, you can slow way down on doing gunnerish things if you're not trying to clerk. You should keep your grades in a reasonable range (i.e., don't get Cs and the like). Obviously, continuing to rack up top credentials can only help you, and you'll be glad you did if you get into a bind later (e.g., no offer). In terms of writing a note, I plan on doing it because I like writing and would like to publish (and it's compulsory on my school's LR). But there's no need to do it out of a sense of obligation.

Return to “Legal Employment”