Discovering the Exit Options

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Discovering the Exit Options

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:32 am

I plan to wait till I have my offers lined up and then grill the offices on what the last X number of associates who left have gone into. I would like them to give me the names of some who have left.

A wise/practical idea?

I find the ex-associate career path the toughest to figure out, and really want to know what people do in actuality.

Moreover, are there definite trends to recognize ahead of time? i.e. M&A attorneys enter finance, etc.

ResIpsa21

Re: Discovering the Exit Options

Postby ResIpsa21 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:08 am

Do you really want to be the guy that told everyone so blatantly that you plan to leave after a few years? Do you really want to do that a full year before you even start as an SA? I guess maybe firms are used to this / won't remember you did this anyway, but my first instinct is to say this is in very poor taste. Maybe just because you described it as a "grilling" -- there's probably nothing wrong with trying to figure out what ex-associates are doing now, but maybe you should try to figure it out some way other than by "grilling" people who are still at the firm.

Sup Kid

Postby Sup Kid » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:27 am

To a large extent, if you are comparing offers from similar firms (not a huge fan of Vault, but lets say within 30 Vault rankings of one another and in the same city), the exit options will be almost the same regardless of where you go. That's because finding a job, other than one like a Biglaw entry level position where your school sets up your interviews and there is a pre-determined timeline, is a very individualized process that has a number of factors involved that have nothing to do with what firm you are at. Looking at a small sample size of where a few associates ended up from each firm is not meaningful data that you should use in your decision.

Instead, look at things that should be more important to you -- how you felt when you were visiting the firm (do a post-offer visit if need be), the location of the firm (not only the city, but where in the city it's located -- this matters more or less depending on the city), different rankings like AmLaw that survey a large amount of the associates in the office anonymously to get a more accurate picture of life at the firm, and the firm's financial condition (PPP, RPL, mass layoffs, partner defections, etc).

Heartford

Postby Heartford » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:50 am

Anontroll is ineffective.

Return to “Legal Employment”