3 Firms, One choice. Poll time.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Where to spend 2L summer?

V50 Market paying firm with good vibe & great reputation
42
84%
V40 Market paying firm with good vibe & negative reputation
2
4%
V40 Non-market branch firm with great vibe & good reputation
6
12%
 
Total votes: 50

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

3 Firms, One choice. Poll time.

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:29 pm

Currently feeling very fortunate to have any offers, let alone the 3 I am looking at right now.
1 V50, 2 V40's. One of the V40's is a branch that does not pay market, but I had by far the best vibe there and know I could be very happy there and it is actually more convenient to my outside of DC location. The V50 and other V40 are in a major market and pay market. The V40 gave me a good vibe, but I've heard mixed things. V50 also gave me a great vibe. Both of the market firms probably have better exit options than the branch office.

Where would you go and any reasons why would be much appreciated. I'm not comfortable outing firms since I don't know how many offers they are giving. If someone wants more info, I could PM you.

Thanks TLS.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3 Firms, One choice. Poll time.

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:34 pm

I think in this economy you don't want to mess with a firm with a bad reputation (I'm assuming for treating associates poorly or no-offering - not sure exactly). I think your other option that is better, the V50, nulls your other out-of-market option. So go with the V50.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3 Firms, One choice. Poll time.

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I think in this economy you don't want to mess with a firm with a bad reputation (I'm assuming for treating associates poorly or no-offering - not sure exactly). I think your other option that is better, the V50, nulls your other out-of-market option. So go with the V50.


Definitely some of both regarding the bolded.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3 Firms, One choice. Poll time.

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I think in this economy you don't want to mess with a firm with a bad reputation (I'm assuming for treating associates poorly or no-offering - not sure exactly). I think your other option that is better, the V50, nulls your other out-of-market option. So go with the V50.


Definitely some of both regarding the bolded.


if that's the reputation they have then you should definitely steer clear of that firm. firm's are always trying to put on their best face/put out their best people when doing CB interviews, so the good vibe you got may not necessarily be indicative of the overall firm culture.

i'd probably go with the V50.

User avatar
tfer2222
Posts: 358
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:20 pm

Re: 3 Firms, One choice. Poll time.

Postby tfer2222 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:12 pm

is the only allure of the market paying V40 the fact that its V40 over V50? Thats stupid, Vault rankings (especially ones that close) shouldn't affect this decision. Bad reputation just for a v40? no.

Choice A is a clear winner. I'm not sure why you're considering the others.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3 Firms, One choice. Poll time.

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:23 pm

You've "made it," you can stop worrying about rankings. You did well enough at a good enough law school to get a SA offer, which conceivably should turn into a post-graduation offer (which, to me, is still incredible that the system works this way, but I'll happily be the beneficiary).

Now you need to consider your professional work life and future development. Which firm does the work you want to do? Which is located in a place you can see living within commuting distance (taking into account the high expectation of hours)? What place feels to be a better fit?

The Vault rankings shouldn't matter that much. The market vs. non-market pay shouldn't even matter that much (assuming the non-market is reasonable, which most are).

Try to pick the place you can see yourself actually enjoying and staying at.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3 Firms, One choice. Poll time.

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:21 pm

tfer2222 wrote:is the only allure of the market paying V40 the fact that its V40 over V50? Thats stupid, Vault rankings (especially ones that close) shouldn't affect this decision. Bad reputation just for a v40? no.

Choice A is a clear winner. I'm not sure why you're considering the others.


+1

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3 Firms, One choice. Poll time.

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:
tfer2222 wrote:is the only allure of the market paying V40 the fact that its V40 over V50? Thats stupid, Vault rankings (especially ones that close) shouldn't affect this decision. Bad reputation just for a v40? no.

Choice A is a clear winner. I'm not sure why you're considering the others.


+1


+1 No Brainer




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.