Turning down a V30 for a V90 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Turning down a V30 for a V90

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:29 pm

Am I crazy to do it? Both are in NYC. Both seem like nice places to work. By Chambers' standards, the V90 is considerably stronger in the practice group I think I want to join. I don't have any sweeping ambitions at the moment; I'd simply like to start practicing law at a relatively pleasant firm doing high-level work. I'm not concerned about prestige except to the extent that it actually affects my career. I figure the V90 is well known enough that most people (especially in NYC) are going to know they do good work -- but I still worry about exit options.

Omerta

Bronze

Re: Turning down a V30 for a V90

Post by Omerta » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Am I crazy to do it? Both are in NYC. Both seem like nice places to work. By Chambers' standards, the V90 is considerably stronger in the practice group I think I want to join. I don't have any sweeping ambitions at the moment; I'd simply like to start practicing law at a relatively pleasant firm doing high-level work. I'm not concerned about prestige except to the extent that it actually affects my career. I figure the V90 is well known enough that most people (especially in NYC) are going to know they do good work -- but I still worry about exit options.
You're silly.

kahechsof

Bronze

Post by kahechsof » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:38 pm

You can always move from V30 to V90. But the other way is considerably harder.

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:43 pm

EXIT OPTIONS! Like how I exit this forum when I see that you are silly for considering V90 over a V30.

ResIpsa21

Bronze

Post by ResIpsa21 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:45 pm

Seriously, go where you'll be happy. Enough of the prestige whoring, TLS!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:47 pm

Depends on the firms. I would probably take Patterson Belknap over Paul Hastings NY, for example. Might make even more sense to do something like that when you start talking about branch offices (e.g. Akin Gump NY, Mayer Brown NY, OMM NY)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Depends on the firms. I would probably take Patterson Belknap over Paul Hastings NY, for example. Might make even more sense to do something like that when you start talking about branch offices (e.g. Akin Gump NY, Mayer Brown NY, OMM NY)
OP here. Both firms have their biggest office in NYC, where I'd work. Why would you take Patterson over PH, may I ask?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Depends on the firms. I would probably take Patterson Belknap over Paul Hastings NY, for example. Might make even more sense to do something like that when you start talking about branch offices (e.g. Akin Gump NY, Mayer Brown NY, OMM NY)
OP here. Both firms have their biggest office in NYC, where I'd work. Why would you take Patterson over PH, may I ask?
I haven't done enough research on either to give a very educated opinion. A lot of what I've heard about Patterson comes from here and other law students, but it certainly seems to have a good rep:
I have a professor who summered with Paul Weiss, but immediately left for Patterson Belknap and said his experience at Patterson was SO much better
Patterson tends to attract a lot of clerks. They have a very interesting, but specialized practice. They have a reputation for having very interesting work and great quality of life
It's a good place for aspiring commercial litigators, and if that's what you want to do I'd at least consider it alongside other firms (including the V10).
Vault rankings are very new york and corporate-centric. So firms like W&C, Irell, MTO, and Patterson Belknap give exit options significantly above their rank.
There have been countless times I've heard people rave about Patterson's QOL. Paul Hastings seems pretty bland and nothing special, tbh. Then again, though, maybe that's just because I haven't done my research.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:00 pm

Depends on the firms, and your goals. There are a lot of things to consider.

First, if a particular practice area interests you, the Chambers ranking is much more important than the Vault ranking--but are you sure you want to be in that practice area, and how easy will it be to join that practice area at the V90? Some lower-ranked firms have particular practice areas that are truly elite, but the problem is, often many summers know it and will want to end up in that area.

Second, if you're going to be doing corporate work in New York, Vault rankings are most relevant for that. If you're hoping to land an in-house position, the difference between the firms could be significant (but not nearly as significant as between a V10 and a V90). If you're doing litigation and your desired career path is make partner (in a dream scenario) or work at a smaller firm, the Vault rankings won't matter as much.

Third, how financially healthy is the V90? Vault rankings are somewhat correlated with financial health, and you obviously don't want to be at a financially unstable firm.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:19 pm

I'm in a similar position - deciding between Hughes Hubbard and Milbank and looking to do corporate. I really liked Hughes and it appears very stable but I know Milbank has a better regarded corporate practice and it's hard not to think about the rankings disparity even though I know it's somewhat dumb to think in those terms and that I should probably go where I think I would be happiest, which would be Hughes Hubbard. For these firms specifically, do you think it would be a bad decision to not take Milbank?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:27 pm

OH MY GOD SOMEONE ISN'T LIVING AND DYING BY VAULT!?!?!

Make sure to tell people often that you had the opportunity to go to a better firm (and use air quotes as you say "better") but that you decided to pick a firm where you just really liked the people.

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:30 pm

Your resume must say:

"V90 May-August 2012
Summer Associate

V30 May-August 2012
Offered Summer Associate"

Otherwise you are wasting your life.

monkey85

Bronze

Post by monkey85 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm in a similar position - deciding between Hughes Hubbard and Milbank and looking to do corporate. I really liked Hughes and it appears very stable but I know Milbank has a better regarded corporate practice
I would encourage you to dig deeper into what "corporate" means at each of the firms to decide where you go. For example, Milbank is hardly known for M&A - they do deals, but nothing headline - but rather known for Project Finance. As for HHR - I have no idea. That extra bit of research should help you find what you are really looking for in a "corporate" practice.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:47 pm

Why is this so shocking? I thought the consensus was that "rankings" among law firms mattered much less and you should really go where you are most happy.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:49 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:Why is this so shocking? I thought the consensus was that "rankings" among law firms mattered much less and you should really go where you are most happy.
Bro, this is TLS. Ranking ALWAYS matters.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Depends on the firms, and your goals. There are a lot of things to consider.

First, if a particular practice area interests you, the Chambers ranking is much more important than the Vault ranking--but are you sure you want to be in that practice area, and how easy will it be to join that practice area at the V90? Some lower-ranked firms have particular practice areas that are truly elite, but the problem is, often many summers know it and will want to end up in that area.

Second, if you're going to be doing corporate work in New York, Vault rankings are most relevant for that. If you're hoping to land an in-house position, the difference between the firms could be significant (but not nearly as significant as between a V10 and a V90). If you're doing litigation and your desired career path is make partner (in a dream scenario) or work at a smaller firm, the Vault rankings won't matter as much.

Third, how financially healthy is the V90? Vault rankings are somewhat correlated with financial health, and you obviously don't want to be at a financially unstable firm.
+1.

It's not bad to take lifestyle/practice area over prestige. But make sure those things are real not imaginary. Take claims about getting "substantive work" and simple measurements like size of the group with a grain if salt.

Omerta

Bronze

Post by Omerta » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:17 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:Why is this so shocking? I thought the consensus was that "rankings" among law firms mattered much less and you should really go where you are most happy.
I'd like to think people are mocking the OP for asking such an insecure, ridiculous question. "Exit options" is this mythical TLS-exclusive phenomenon. It's nothing more than students trying to surreptitiously hinge their decision on yet another set of rankings rather than make a decision on their own for once.

I mean, look again at how the OP worded his or her post.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:28 pm

Omerta wrote:
I'd like to think people are mocking the OP for asking such an insecure, ridiculous question. "Exit options" is this mythical TLS-exclusive phenomenon. It's nothing more than students trying to surreptitiously hinge their decision on yet another set of rankings rather than make a decision on their own for once.

um can you link me to the exit options "set of rankings"?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:23 pm

If this is Patterson, then I would just say the following: I am waiting to hear from them but would seriously consider them over a current V15 option, for litigation. FWIW.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Omerta wrote:

um can you link me to the exit options "set of rankings"?
vault.com

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:31 pm

kahechsof wrote:You can always move from V30 to V90.
This is one of the dumbest, and most prevalent myths on TLS.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:49 pm

RVP11 wrote:
kahechsof wrote:You can always move from V30 to V90.
This is one of the dumbest, and most prevalent myths on TLS.

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:52 am

perhaps, but choosing where you will be most happy based on the 4-6 people you meet at the firm during interviews is a pretty huge crapshoot
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:03 am

underdawg wrote:
perhaps, but choosing where you will be most happy based on the 4-6 people you meet at the firm during interviews is a pretty huge crapshoot
Yeah, I should have qualified the original post with the firm that will make you most happy can be based on practice areas, reputation at that office (from online/previous SA's at your school, etc), fit among people you meet there, etc. Obviously basing the whole decision off of how you connect with your interviewers is a big risk. I think if that's just one of the factors to consider, it can be useful though.

Machine Spirit

Bronze

Post by Machine Spirit » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:10 am

Will the day ever come where TLS understands how "exit options" actually work, in the real world?

TS, I had a choice similar to your's, and I chose the lower ranked firm. Why? Because I liked the people, the environment, and the practice group was precisely what I was interested in. The pay is the same, the benefits are the same, so frankly, who cares about "prestige."

If you want to make a career of this, go where you'll at least have a slight chance of being happy, or pursuing what you're genuinely interested in. The degree to which TLS emphasizes rankings or "exit options" is almost embarrassingly asinine.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”