Akin Gump and Arnold & Porter References

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Akin Gump and Arnold & Porter References

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:32 am

I had callbacks with Akin Gump and Arnold & Porter, both of which asked for references, about a week ago. I checked with one of my references and he said he hasn't received any calls. Do they usually actually call the references, or do they just ask for the list in case they feel unsure about a candidate? I feel like I'm probably out of the running if they aren't calling my people.

Anonymous User

Re: Akin Gump and Arnold & Porter References

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:42 am

I know A&P checks references before offering.

However, just because they haven't called them yet doesn't necessarily mean you're in the ding stack.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:I know A&P checks references before offering.

However, just because they haven't called them yet doesn't necessarily mean you're in the ding stack.

Do you know if it's the same for Akin?

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:46 am

this doesnt help but its the very last thing they do after deciding. I think they decide w/o references then just ask the recruiting person to call and confirm there are no problems.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:33 am

Covington NY called my references after they offered me a callback, but before I went on it. On the other hand, they may operate slightly differently in the manner in which they handle references as a NY office. I'm pretty sure the DC office calls references prior to giving the callback in the first place.

zomginternets

Postby zomginternets » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:03 pm

I've always thought references were a weird thing to ask for for 2L hiring. Who on earth would give a reference of someone who would give a bad review of the candidate? I mean I guess if you did, then this would be an auto-ding, but I can't imagine someone could do well enough in an interview to get an offer and yet screw up something like that.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:05 pm

zomginternets wrote:I've always thought references were a weird thing to ask for for 2L hiring. Who on earth would give a reference of someone who would give a bad review of the candidate? I mean I guess if you did, then this would be an auto-ding, but I can't imagine someone could do well enough in an interview to get an offer and yet screw up something like that.

i think they are looking for two things: (1) good judgment and (2) connection-building.

Judgment: better to ask your 1L supervisor than your yoga instructor.

connection-building: a clear example is Covington asking for a professor reference. I think a fair number of my classmates would not be able to ask for a reference from a professor (imagine if the recruiter asks "so how do you know this candidate" or something. the answer should probably be something other than "well i didn't talk to X much, but X did get a great grade in my class"). It can show whether you are a quiet person who is pretty much "checked out" throughout law school or you made an effort to connect with faculty and whatnot.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:57 am

MrAnon wrote:this doesnt help but its the very last thing they do after deciding. I think they decide w/o references then just ask the recruiting person to call and confirm there are no problems.

Is "they" A&P, Akin, or both?

Return to “Legal Employment”