Benefits of Orange County and San Diego

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Benefits of Orange County and San Diego

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:38 pm

Anyone want to offer an informed opinion on this? I'm particularly interested in OC, due to its nice lifestyle options (cheaper than LA, great weather, presumably lots of oranges everywhere). But honestly, I'm concerned the work won't be that interesting. Does OC have any real "niches" to get into? Do you find firms generally let you move about? Firms such as Latham, Gibson, etc.....

Anonymous User

Re: Benefits of Orange County and San Diego

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:32 am

Orange County has more public companies that you would think, that's why it's one of the few "suburban" places that you'll find a good amount of BigLaw firms. A lot of start of up and tech work, but firms like Gibson & Latham, you'd be working on deals/cases with their LA or their other offices. Especially in Gibson's free market system, you can spend your time working on matters from other offices instead of just their OC ones.

And yes, OC living would be much better than LA if you are looking for more space, less commute, less urban environment, more safe, better beaches, etc. It probably self-selects more people that are married and settled down. Single life might be a bit difficult there, but it's still a great place to live.

I don't know too much about San Diego, but seems very similar.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:40 am

SD has a lot of IP, specifically medical and DoD companies. It also sometimes splits into downtown and Del Mar. At least for DLA, the corporate is Del Mar and litigation largely downtown.

Echo above about OC. Used to have more real estate work, but that has dried up a bit.

KG_CalGuy

Postby KG_CalGuy » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:06 am

San Diego is cheaper than LA (and arguably better in terms of QOL). The nationally recognized firms that have offices in SD tend to concentrate on IP (particularly patent as San Diego has a very large tech industry, especially biotech) and associated corporate-side work (M&A, venture capital / project finance) as well as sectors like energy, telecomm, and healthcare (lots of hospitals).

Orange County is nice if you can handle living in a suburban wasteland.

erico

Postby erico » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:22 am

if you have to ask...

i hear OC is nice b/c you can dip into LA and SD if need be. plus your billing rates are lower in OC (than LA) so you're competitive that way. OC, i think, has more diversity than SD in terms of its market.

i have heard that some lawyers consider SD minor leagues. they can enjoy LA/NY.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:34 am

Just saw this thread. A major benefit not listed so far is the overall nature of the markets. Being smaller markets you are going to run into the same people a lot so everyone does their best to be civil and even friendly. There is a lot of cutting edge tech work being done. Its probably not palo alto but I'm sure its still pretty interesting.

I would really appreciate it if anyone coming off the recent OCI would share their thoughts on the difficulty of breaking into these markets.

thanks

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:59 am

FlanAl wrote:Just saw this thread. A major benefit not listed so far is the overall nature of the markets. Being smaller markets you are going to run into the same people a lot so everyone does their best to be civil and even friendly. There is a lot of cutting edge tech work being done. Its probably not palo alto but I'm sure its still pretty interesting.

I would really appreciate it if anyone coming off the recent OCI would share their thoughts on the difficulty of breaking into these markets.

thanks

Not difficult at all for me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:02 pm

FlanAl wrote:Just saw this thread. A major benefit not listed so far is the overall nature of the markets. Being smaller markets you are going to run into the same people a lot so everyone does their best to be civil and even friendly. There is a lot of cutting edge tech work being done. Its probably not palo alto but I'm sure its still pretty interesting.

thanks

Have a good story for why SD or why OC. For OC lifestyle (married, dogs, suburban) helps differentiate from LA. For SD I don't think it's as clear, but the practice areas are a little more clear if you want to sell yourself on that, particularly bio IP. The only question I got with every single interview was why (OC, SD), moreso than even why (firm name). But once you hit the threshold of ties they are looking for, it's a non-issue.

The smaller markets thing can be a benefit or a curse. SD is very local, with less national cases. If you are comfortable with that, it's great. OC has a lot of overlap and work from LA (at least at the firms I interviewed with).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

thanks

Have a good story for why SD or why OC. For OC lifestyle (married, dogs, suburban) helps differentiate from LA. For SD I don't think it's as clear, but the practice areas are a little more clear if you want to sell yourself on that, particularly bio IP. The only question I got with every single interview was why (OC, SD), moreso than even why (firm name). But once you hit the threshold of ties they are looking for, it's a non-issue.

The smaller markets thing can be a benefit or a curse. SD is very local, with less national cases. If you are comfortable with that, it's great. OC has a lot of overlap and work from LA (at least at the firms I interviewed with).

Yeah just to echo this, I am from SD and worked there for 4 yrs after undergrad, so I got zero "why SD" questions. But since I'm going to school in a different state, I got a lot of "why school in your state" questions.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone want to offer an informed opinion on this? I'm particularly interested in OC, due to its nice lifestyle options (cheaper than LA, great weather, presumably lots of oranges everywhere). But honestly, I'm concerned the work won't be that interesting. Does OC have any real "niches" to get into? Do you find firms generally let you move about? Firms such as Latham, Gibson, etc.....

OC sucks, but San Diego doesn't

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:01 pm

I am originally from Arizona, going to school at MVP, but got callbacks and offers from firms in OC. But there is/was definitely a high bar for explaining why I wanted to be there. I spent 1L summer in OC, but I think it also helped being married and the fact that my wife went to college in the area, but they probably want a better answer than just "surfs up dude" or something like just enjoying the weather.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

thanks

any chance you'd share your school range/area in your class?

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

thanks

Yeah just to echo this, I am from SD and worked there for 4 yrs after undergrad, so I got zero "why SD" questions. But since I'm going to school in a different state, I got a lot of "why school in your state" questions.

Was it fairly easy to answer these questions? I mean like higher ranked school type answer? thanks

UCLAtransfer

Postby UCLAtransfer » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:23 pm

desertlaw wrote:I am originally from Arizona, going to school at MVP, but got callbacks and offers from firms in OC. But there is/was definitely a high bar for explaining why I wanted to be there. I spent 1L summer in OC, but I think it also helped being married and the fact that my wife went to college in the area, but they probably want a better answer than just "surfs up dude" or something like just enjoying the weather.

Yeah, I'll second this. On the whole, Orange County people are very serious about it not being lumped into LA/LA area, and are generally quite interested in making sure you have legitimate ties to the area (not just to SoCal generally). I think they get a lot of people who really want to be in LA but apply to OC also to play it safe, and they are trying to root those people out as much as possible.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:53 pm

FlanAl wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

thanks

Was it fairly easy to answer these questions? I mean like higher ranked school type answer? thanks

Yeah - price.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:31 pm

FlanAl wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

thanks

any chance you'd share your school range/area in your class?

T50, T50%, LR, wxp, IPsecure

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:31 am

San Diego is called "America's Finest City" for a reason.

/thread

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:40 am

These are hard markets to crack unless you have ties or top grades at a t-14.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:43 am

Most markets are hard to crack right now without ties and good grades at T14-20. Even in NYC, I was grilled about ties or "why NYC" when I was told by TLS and Career Services that NYC wouldn't care about ties.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:10 pm

Anyone have experience in these markets this year with ties and t14?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:54 pm

East-coast T14, got some callbacks and offers in OC with "moderate" ties, but not from the area.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:15 pm

nice! thanks for the input. anyone else?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:22 pm

I accepted an offer to San Diego's best corporate/transactional firm. I do not have ties, but am from California and attend a CCN with decent, not great grades and strong work experience. The firms really want Southern California ties. When I called one of the firms I had been waitlistedat before I got this offer, I had the following conversation with a recruiting coordinator on the phone:

"Recruiting Coordinator: Well, we have received a lot of applications and unfortunately yours came in pretty late, however we will review all applications, but can't promise to interview you.

Me: Okay, well I am interviewing with XX and XX in San Diego next week, I hope to see you then.

Recruiting Coordinator: Wait!? You didn't say you were from San Diego on your resume. Thanks for letting me know. (Continues to assume I am from the area because I have CBs in the area). We should be getting back to you quickly, sorry I didn't know."

Me: I'm not from SD, I'm from XX in California.

Recruiting Coordinator: Oh."

Rejection came a few days later.

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:28 pm

Desirable parts San Diego and OC are not necessarily "cheaper" than LA. I've lived in all three and my COL was a bit more pricey in SD and especially in OC.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I accepted an offer to San Diego's best corporate/transactional firm. I do not have ties, but am from California and attend a CCN with decent, not great grades and strong work experience. The firms really want Southern California ties. When I called one of the firms I had been waitlistedat before I got this offer, I had the following conversation with a recruiting coordinator on the phone:

"Recruiting Coordinator: Well, we have received a lot of applications and unfortunately yours came in pretty late, however we will review all applications, but can't promise to interview you.

Me: Okay, well I am interviewing with XX and XX in San Diego next week, I hope to see you then.

Recruiting Coordinator: Wait!? You didn't say you were from San Diego on your resume. Thanks for letting me know. (Continues to assume I am from the area because I have CBs in the area). We should be getting back to you quickly, sorry I didn't know."

Me: I'm not from SD, I'm from XX in California.

Recruiting Coordinator: Oh."

Rejection came a few days later.

Hey if you could pm me some details I would really appreciate it. I now isn't the time to worry about it for me (1L) but as far as I can tell no one from my school shot for SD or OC this year and it would be great to get some advice to have for when I go through this next year. thanks

Return to “Legal Employment”