What to wear for second look?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What to wear for second look?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:01 pm

For a visit after receiving an offer, do you need to wear a suit or blazer? For women, is it okay to wear pants/blouse without a jacket?

pehaigllleises

Re: What to wear for second look?

Postby pehaigllleises » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:04 pm

I went on one second look last year and I wore my dressiest business casual. The firm's dress code is relaxed business casual.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:55 am

I'm thinking about this too, and I've decided to wear a suit. I'm a female, and although I know we can get away with more (dressing down but still looking professional), this second look isn't just for me to interview them, it's for the partners and associates I'll be working with to meet me. I want these people to know I'm serious and I'll take my job seriously. Perhaps I have this mindset because I'm a 3L and I have to hit the ground running and won't have the whole 2L summer to make a good impression. Either way, I don't think you gamble at all if you wear a suit, but dressing slightly down can be a risk.

I should also mention that this second look is at a v10 NY firm near wall street (i.e. usually more formal, IMO).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:00 pm

I wore a suit. I also wore a suit to a small follow up dinner with offered candidates from my school, partners and associates (about 7 or 8 altogether). I was overdressed for that. The follow up visiti I don't think it mattered but you never know.

AppsAbound

Postby AppsAbound » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:04 pm

I wore business casual. And I blended right in, so unless the office is business formal, I don't think there's any need to wear a suit.

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:29 pm

I treated all of my second looks like the initial interviews. Dressed the same, came across as just as eager, etc.. The only difference was in the questions that I asked.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:35 pm

Shaggier1 wrote:I treated all of my second looks like the initial interviews. Dressed the same, came across as just as eager, etc.. The only difference was in the questions that I asked.

care to explain what kind of questions you asked? were they different from CB questions in that it may have auto-dinged you?

Return to “Legal Employment”