Weil v. Cleary v. Simpson

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Weil v. Cleary v. Simpson

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:57 pm

Any thoughts on which to take in NYC, and why? (Probably transactional, but maybe lit)

Anonymous User

Re: Weil v. Cleary v. Simpson

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:02 pm

I had CBs at all three.

I don't know which would be better for whatever practice area since you were kind of vague. Simpson was somewhat more serious, but had more flexibility in terms of specialization. Weil had a friendly atmosphere, but is known to perhaps be fratty. Cleary was generally nice and seemed to care about that aspect of its culture, but did not particularly stand out to me.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any thoughts on which to take in NYC, and why? (Probably transactional, but maybe lit)

If you liked them all equally and are undecided within corp, then Simpson. Weil if you want BK, Cleary if you want capital markets.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:54 pm

Not sure exactly what type of transactional work I want to do. I really liked the people at Weil, but have heard some horrible things (screamers at the firm, etc...) I know this used to be the case, but has Weil become more "friendly" (realizing that it is still big law in NYC). Just find it hard to believe that a firm would be #3 best firm to work for and have "unhappy" associates.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not sure exactly what type of transactional work I want to do. I really liked the people at Weil, but have heard some horrible things (screamers at the firm, etc...) I know this used to be the case, but has Weil become more "friendly" (realizing that it is still big law in NYC). Just find it hard to believe that a firm would be #3 best firm to work for and have "unhappy" associates.

I'd be skeptical of Vault's ranking. The people you meet at the CB are a small cross section of the firm. I remember my impression of my 2L SA firm was pretty different than my CB.

At the end of the day STB is stronger in more corporate areas. If you don't knownshat you want, it's a good choice.

Return to “Legal Employment”