Mayer Brown NY Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Mayer Brown NY

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:19 pm

Anyone summer or work in this office? Anyone have a friend who did? If so, how is life in the office? I received an offer and it's definitely one of my top choices, so I'm curious. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Mayer Brown NY

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:41 am

Bump.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:12 pm

Anyone?!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:11 pm

I have a friend who worked there and said that out of all her friends, it seemed like she had the most enjoyable summer. So if you want to have a great time filled with outings, wining, dining etc., Mayer seems great.

I also received an offer but I'll certainly pass as soon as my official offer letter comes from my first choice firm. I enjoyed meeting the people there, but the office itself is very dingy. White washed walls with very little decor, green carpet... kind of an austere atmosphere. I know this won't mean a thing to a lot of people, but for some reason it kinda bothered me. Apparently, the NY office is the only office that looks like that. I heard the one in Italy is in a castle, and the other domestic offices are quite lovely. The lease on their office space ends in 3 years, so I know they'll probably move to a new and (hopefully, better) space soon.

Also, the rotation system at Mayer is a little strange. For the first 3 weeks, you get to sample either corporate or litigation, and then they ask you to choose one. Of course, a lot of people need more time than three weeks, so if you really want to, you can keep sampling both litigation and corporate until the end of the summer. If you still can't decide at the end of the summer, they just take the decision away from you and put you somewhere. Now most people should be able to figure out where you want to be by the end of summer, but if you're truly not sure, and you don't think a 10/12 week program will suffice to finally decide on your career path, this may be a problem for you. One of the associates I had lunch with told me that she was simply placed in Banking and Finance, because she couldn't decide. She likes it now, but the grimace on her face was hard to hide.

Overall, I enjoyed my visit to Mayer and I thought it would be a nice place to work. If I hadn't received an offer from my first choice, I would have probably went with them. Good luck!!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:55 pm

I just thought I would clear up the error below about MB's summer rotation system in New York. There isn't a rotation system at all in New York. Summers can try a variety of different groups up until the last week if they need to. Most summers figure out their preference about half way through and then spend the rest of the summer working in their preferred group. However, I know people that have been trying out different groups up until the last week of the program.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”