Gibson (OC) v. Jones Day (OC) v. lower vault LA firms

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which?

Gibson Dunn (OC)
30%
Jones Day (OC)
30%
Lower vault ranked firm (LA)
40%

Total votes: 10

Anonymous User

Gibson (OC) v. Jones Day (OC) v. lower vault LA firms

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:40 pm

Liked the people everywhere I went, but can't tell whether going to an OC firm will hinder my career opportunities in the future versus going to an LA firm. Even in OC, I am confused about my choices and the usual sources like chambers/vault only seem to narrow it down to state and hence do not give me to much to go on. I know OC is sort of a niche market so any information would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. The lower vault ranked firm is not some crazy firm like Irell.

Anonymous User

Re: Gibson (OC) v. Jones Day (OC) v. lower vault LA firms

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:47 pm

I would only choose an OC firm if I knew I wanted to stay there long term. I feel like it's easier to transition from LA to OC (I know several partners who did this easily) than to go from an OC office to an LA one. This is anecdotal only.

Can I ask when your callback for JD was and when you received the offer? Thank you :)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:53 pm

Hmm could people specify why the LA firms. Their chambers/vault rankings are pretty low. I am leaning towards Gibson b/c they are so well renowned in Socal and I've been told that the OC office generates a lot of its own work and that I could also get work via the free market from the LA/NY office.

Are the career opportunities that much worse off? Assuming I would like to stay in Irvine

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:50 pm

If you know you want to be in Irvine then Gibson OC is the correct response. If you're not sure on that, I think it changes the calculation a bit. If you really want to live in LA then I would pick from the LA firms.

Career wise, I don't think Gibson OC is a bad choice at all, really. Not too sure on Jones Day OC.

Return to “Legal Employment”