Public Interest Pay Revealed in this Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Public Interest Pay Revealed in this Thread

Postby MrAnon » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:48 am

For those of you wondering what you might make EIGHT years out of school working for the government, the answer is $78k.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manh ... RnulyREcKO

BeenDidThat
Posts: 704
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:18 am

Re: Public Interest Pay Revealed in this Thread

Postby BeenDidThat » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:06 am

MrAnon wrote:For those of you wondering what you might one individual makes EIGHT years out of school working for the New York State government attorney general's office, the answer is $78k.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manh ... RnulyREcKO

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: Public Interest Pay Revealed in this Thread

Postby MrAnon » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:08 am

BeenDidThat wrote:
MrAnon wrote:For those of you wondering what you might one individual makes EIGHT years out of school working for the New York State government attorney general's office, the answer is $78k.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manh ... RnulyREcKO



You think there are better public interest paying positions than working for the NYAG? After all, NY cost of living is the highest anywhere. Obviously the NY AG is going to pay more than other AGs. That is common wisdom on this site.

BeenDidThat
Posts: 704
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:18 am

Re: Public Interest Pay Revealed in this Thread

Postby BeenDidThat » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:12 am

MrAnon wrote:
BeenDidThat wrote:
MrAnon wrote:For those of you wondering what you might one individual makes EIGHT years out of school working for the New York State government attorney general's office, the answer is $78k.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manh ... RnulyREcKO



You think there are better public interest paying positions than working for the NYAG? After all, NY cost of living is the highest anywhere. Obviously the NY AG is going to pay more than other AGs. That is common wisdom on this site.


Perhaps you've heard of the Federal government? And your assumptions re: other states don't hold much water given the recent news about how NYS judges are just now going to get a raise after having their salary be somewhere on the bottom of the 50-state list of state judges.

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: Public Interest Pay Revealed in this Thread

Postby MrAnon » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:20 am

Really how much more is BIGFED paying these days? Please post an ACTUAL salary so we can avoid SPECULATION. Those jobs must be easy to get. I guess other states are in MUCH better financial straights. I'm sure [Fill in Name of Any State] is just showering money on its lawyers these days. My assumption is based on cost of living and common assumption that NY employers pay more.

The NYAG office salary is VERY representative of what the life of a public interest lawyer is like.

BeenDidThat
Posts: 704
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:18 am

Re: Public Interest Pay Revealed in this Thread

Postby BeenDidThat » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:26 am

MrAnon wrote:Really how much more is BIGFED paying these days? Please post an ACTUAL salary so we can avoid SPECULATION. Those jobs must be easy to get. I guess other states are in MUCH better financial straights. I'm sure [Fill in Name of Any State] is just showering money on its lawyers these days. My assumption is based on cost of living and common assumption that NY employers pay more.

The NYAG office salary is VERY representative of what the life of a public interest lawyer is like.


Not doing your work for you. I have my firm job. Your writing is representative of someone who doesn't like thorough analysis anyway. How bout you go hunt down a nice list of state gov job salaries as well as Fed salaries if you care to make fact-based assertions instead of employing scare tactics? Good? Cool. Ta-ta.

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4862
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: Public Interest Pay Revealed in this Thread

Postby Borhas » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:38 am

MrAnon wrote:
BeenDidThat wrote:
MrAnon wrote:For those of you wondering what you might one individual makes EIGHT years out of school working for the New York State government attorney general's office, the answer is $78k.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manh ... RnulyREcKO



You think there are better public interest paying positions than working for the NYAG? After all, NY cost of living is the highest anywhere. Obviously the NY AG is going to pay more than other AGs. That is common wisdom on this site.


some Santa Clara County Public Defenders earned over $210,000 in gross pay

Deputy Attorney General in CA make 77k (entry level)

so yeah, NY sucks

http://www.calattorneys.org/download.cfm?ID=21417
--LinkRemoved--

BeenDidThat
Posts: 704
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:18 am

Re: Public Interest Pay Revealed in this Thread

Postby BeenDidThat » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:40 am

MrAnon wrote:Really how much more is BIGFED paying these days? Please post an ACTUAL salary so we can avoid SPECULATION. Those jobs must be easy to get. I guess other states are in MUCH better financial straights. I'm sure [Fill in Name of Any State] is just showering money on its lawyers these days. My assumption is based on cost of living and common assumption that NY employers pay more.

The NYAG office salary is VERY representative of what the life of a public interest lawyer is like.


I'm feeling generous and extra anti-troll today.

http://www.justice.gov/careers/legal/entry-salary.html

--LinkRemoved--

Enjoy.

Ednote: I also didn't say the job was easy to get, prick. Wasn't aware that that was a qualification.

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: Public Interest Pay Revealed in this Thread

Postby MrAnon » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:15 am

The only one trolling is you. The NYAG salary is far more representative of what one stands to earn in government than DOJ honors with its 72 open positions per year.

I am sure SOME NY AG's make 200,000 but who knows what executive level they are on. This is akin to telling incoming law students that everyone gets biglaw.

Looks like someone failed basic reading comp. The brief says entry level Deputy AGs in CA make 56, not 77.

User avatar
paratactical
Posts: 5961
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: Public Interest Pay Revealed in this Thread

Postby paratactical » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:27 am

I KNOW that when I'm looking for REAL information, I generally BELIEVE people who like to CAPITALIZE certain WORDS they deem IMPORTANT.

- BORN and BRED for SUCCESS and ACHIEVEMENT

Anonymous User
Posts: 273590
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Public Interest Pay Revealed in this Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:30 am

You think there are better public interest paying positions than working for the NYAG? After all, NY cost of living is the highest anywhere. Obviously the NY AG is going to pay more than other AGs. That is common wisdom on this site.
Nonsense. For example, I know gvt employees in CT get paid very well. Teachers salaries may be the highest in the nation. I'm pretty sure their AG office pays more than the quoted figure. COL and public servant pay do not correlate as easily as you're making it seem.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273590
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Public Interest Pay Revealed in this Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:48 am

You can definitely make more than that in city government, too. If you play your cards right, you could be looking at a low level executive/supervisory position in a NYC agency eight years out. I used to work for such an agency and worked with attorneys in their mid-30s making around $90k... for a 35 hour work week.

Anyway, $78,000 doesn't strike me as so terrible. It's liveable, especially if you have been getting your loans LRAPed for you during those eight years. It's never going to be biglaw money, but that shouldn't be the point.

edit: In addition, I just read the article and don't see how you're getting that she has been there eight years. The only reference I see to her tenure is that Cuomo praised her three years ago for something she worked on.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

conn09
Posts: 270
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:19 pm

Re: Public Interest Pay Revealed in this Thread

Postby conn09 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:49 am

The Santa Clara DA starts at 92K

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: Public Interest Pay Revealed in this Thread

Postby MrAnon » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:57 am

she was admitted in 03. that's how I came up with 8 years.

User avatar
okinawa
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:45 pm

Re: Public Interest Pay Revealed in this Thread

Postby okinawa » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:01 pm

people go into public interest because 1) they really care about something 2) they want a different lifestyle or substantive experience than a firm, or 3) they struck out at OCI and recovered well. If they valued salary more than those factors they'd be at a biglaw firm.

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4862
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: Public Interest Pay Revealed in this Thread

Postby Borhas » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:25 pm

MrAnon wrote:The only one trolling is you. The NYAG salary is far more representative of what one stands to earn in government than DOJ honors with its 72 open positions per year.

I am sure SOME NY AG's make 200,000 but who knows what executive level they are on. This is akin to telling incoming law students that everyone gets biglaw.

Looks like someone failed basic reading comp. The brief says entry level Deputy AGs in CA make 56, not 77.


First of all, the table specifically lists 77k as the entry level deputy AG salary. Perhaps they mean entry+ few years, but I'm assuming the 77k # wasn't just out of their ass.

second, the brief was focused on one issue:

Deputy Attorney General pay lags behind other public sector lawyer pay, which directly rebuts your point that NYAG salary is representative of government work, because in the largest state in the Union, AG salaries are NOT representative, and are in fact relatively low.

now fuck off




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.