Kirkland Wilson or jones day

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Kirkland v. Wilson sonsini v. Jones day

Kirkland (sf)
47%
Wilson sonsini (sv)
37%
Jones day (sf)
16%

Total votes: 19

Anonymous User

Kirkland Wilson or jones day

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:44 am

Which firm? Focusing on litigation. Not sure which practice area within lit for sure, but definite interest in IP.

If you're down on a firm, why? Any help is really appreciated.

Anonymous User

Re: Kirkland Wilson or jones day

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:Which firm? Focusing on litigation. Not sure which practice area within lit for sure, but definite interest in IP.

Wilson all the way. This is not even close.
Kirkland/JD are fine firms, but you don't really want to work in their Cal offices.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Which firm? Focusing on litigation. Not sure which practice area within lit for sure, but definite interest in IP.

Wilson all the way. This is not even close.
Kirkland/JD are fine firms, but you don't really want to work in their Cal offices.

+1 -- WSGR is gold standard in cali.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:35 am

Wilson is great for corporate, but if OP has a strong interest in IP lit Kirkland SF is a great option. Their IP lit is top tier nationally and their SF office is up and coming (pretty new office).

IMO it depends whether OP wants to live in SF or SV. If SF I'd go Kirkland, if SV I'd go Wilson.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:04 pm

Bump

ResIpsa21

Postby ResIpsa21 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:14 pm

Rising 2L here so I can only give my opinion based on research & having callbacks in the Bay Area, but here's my 2 cents for whatever they're worth.

First of all, I think you should definitely be deciding between WSGR and Kirkland, I just don't see Jones Day competing with either of them in NorCal. As englawyer said, WSGR is really great for corporate / venture capital, but they're not known quite as well for their litigation. Kirkland, on the other hand, is a top tier national firm for litigation practically everywhere they have an office. Also, if you ever decide you want to leave the Bay Area, Kirkland will get you a lot farther (particularly on the east coast) since WSGR is a giant in California but much less well-known elsewhere.

Another thing you may want to consider is location. I've been told that most WSGR associates live in Palo Alto, and in my opinion, Palo Alto kind of sucks. SF, on the other hand, is an amazing city, and you may be happier with Kirkland if only because you'll be in a much nicer / more fun location.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:36 pm

Agreed with the above comment. Wilson is great, but Palo Alto sucks as a location. However, you also have to keep in mind you probably won't have much time to enjoy San Francisco as a young associate at any of those firms. You'll be working long and hard hours at any of the firms, so I think you should choose the firm with the most interesting substantive work as well as the place with people you get along with the most. Hope this helps!

Return to “Legal Employment”