Interviewing for an in-house SA position

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Interviewing for an in-house SA position

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:53 pm

I have an interview with a company(not a law firm) for their in-house summer job. I am paranoid that they might ask, "so, what other firms did you apply?" because all other firms that I applied are law firms.

If I confess to them that I applied to law firms mostly, I am afraid that they will think that I'm not that into an in-house thing and that all I tell them about how much I love to be an in-house counsel is no more than a lie.

What would be the most politically correct answer? Please help... :(

beach_terror

Re: Interviewing for an in-house SA position

Postby beach_terror » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:59 pm

Whenever anyone asks me that, I say I apply almost everywhere to cover my bases, because in this economy you're nuts not to. Everyone seems to agree with my answer and we talk about how my school is fairing, etc. Just have a bunch of reasons why you want to do in-house instead of something else.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:21 pm

Yeah, good advice in above post. Also, and even more important, be ready to talk about why you want to be in-house THERE.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yeah, good advice in above post. Also, and even more important, be ready to talk about why you want to be in-house THERE.

+1

If you say "I'm applying everywhere because it's crazy not to" you probably want to have a better reason for why you're applying to that particular company. I think corporations want a good reason for why you want in-house rather than firm work as well.

IrwinM.Fletcher

Postby IrwinM.Fletcher » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:32 pm

They know how competitive and scarce in-house positions are for students straight out of school. No one's going to care that you're applying to firms too.

In fact, you'd probably seem naive and retarded if you acted like you were applying strictly to in-house positions.

Return to “Legal Employment”