When are first year salaries going up? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rayiner

Platinum

Re: When are first year salaries going up?

Post by rayiner » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:33 am

shoeshine wrote:
rayiner wrote:
shoeshine wrote:Does a first year associate ever do anything truly worth his/her $160k salary?
When a first-year is billed out at $250+, you can probably write off 60% of his hours and still turn a smal profit.

Also, again, salary is a first order function of supply/demand for associates with the desired credentials. It's only a second order function of how much they contribute to the bottom line.
So by this same logic, wouldn't the fact that there is a glut of qualified lawyers graduating from T-14s without jobs, and a decrease in the actual amount of big law positions available dictate that salaries should stay the same or decrease?

(I am referring to the trends over the last several years)
You have to consider the stratification of the legal market. At the end of the day, S&C isn't competing with lower-V100 for below-median T-14 grads. It's getting back to pre-ITE hiring levels, and competing with the other V10 which are also getting back to pre-ITE levels. The lower-V100 haven't bounced back, so there is still a glut of unemployed T-14 lawyers who would've been employed pre-ITE, but that doesn't really affect S&C's hiring. As long as they're not willing to go any deeper into the class than they used to, they need to steal people away from CSM/STB/DPW/etc. With their PPP back up at $3m, and the cost of bumping all associate salaries by $10k equating to just 1% of their PPP, if the lateral competition becomes fierce enough they very well could decide that bumping salaries would make them more profitable in the long run.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:35 am

shoeshine wrote:
BeenDidThat wrote:Shoeshine, inflation. Inflation, shoeshine.
Not much inflation over the last 20 years. We even experience deflation in 2008.

--ImageRemoved--

Just to be clear, I am playing devil's advocate because I am bored. I hope they go up. NYC to 190!
That graph shows quite a bit of inflation over 20 years.

Exercise for the reader: why?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:36 am

Cumulative effects FTW

Bronze

Post by 23402385985 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:50 am

As soon as my girl finishes this corn dog:

--ImageRemoved--

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:04 am

rayiner wrote:
That graph shows quite a bit of inflation over 20 years.

Exercise for the reader: why?
It really doesn't when you compare it to the twenty years before it.

IMO opinion you cant really inflation rates before and after 1971 because leaving the gold standard sort of changed the game.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”