How have Cahill's offers been coming in this year? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: How have Cahill's offers been coming in this year?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Did the HR person tell everyone there'd be a 2-week turnaround, or is that reserved for the people they don't really want?
I got my offer the next day, and they told me they tried to get back to people ASAP.
I got that language (2 week turnaround) and got offer w/in a week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Lol, I interviewed on Thursday, and got my rejection letter this morning. They must have stuffed that letter the moment I went out the door. I didn't say it on here before just in case, but I didn't like it at all there, and I'm sure it showed (hence the quick rejection). The whole environment seemed way too stuffy for me. I go into interviews always with a relatively informal demeanor, always with a smile, telling jokes, having some fun, etc. And I just don't do well with older dudes who make the whole event seem much more serious than it really is. This is probably the least painful rejection I've gotten so far.

That says something for the folks who have gone a long time without a decision: If they don't want you, they would tell you real fast. If you haven't heard, it means you are still in the running, and not just a walking dead rejection.
To the people who have been asking, you don't have to interview with the hiring partner to get an offer.

If there's one word I've *never* heard used in the same sentence as Cahill, it's stuffy. By that, I don't mean the firm is perfect. However, I know a lot of people who are at NYC firms, and Wilkie and Cahill seem to be some of the most laid back cultures. (Very different cultures, but laid back in their own ways.)

That being said, I don't know how wise it would be to tell jokes to a big time partner at any firm. Depends on your personality/delivery, I guess, but I think it's a pretty risky strategy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Lol, I interviewed on Thursday, and got my rejection letter this morning. They must have stuffed that letter the moment I went out the door. I didn't say it on here before just in case, but I didn't like it at all there, and I'm sure it showed (hence the quick rejection). The whole environment seemed way too stuffy for me. I go into interviews always with a relatively informal demeanor, always with a smile, telling jokes, having some fun, etc. And I just don't do well with older dudes who make the whole event seem much more serious than it really is. This is probably the least painful rejection I've gotten so far.

That says something for the folks who have gone a long time without a decision: If they don't want you, they would tell you real fast. If you haven't heard, it means you are still in the running, and not just a walking dead rejection.
To the people who have been asking, you don't have to interview with the hiring partner to get an offer.

If there's one word I've *never* heard used in the same sentence as Cahill, it's stuffy. By that, I don't mean the firm is perfect. However, I know a lot of people who are at NYC firms, and Wilkie and Cahill seem to be some of the most laid back cultures. (Very different cultures, but laid back in their own ways.)

That being said, I don't know how wise it would be to tell jokes to a big time partner at any firm. Depends on your personality/delivery, I guess, but I think it's a pretty risky strategy.
Sorry if my wording was confusing - I know you don't have to interview w/the HP to get an offer; my concern was that I *did* interview with him, and didn't get an offer (yet?). I know a lot of people posted that they got on-the-spot or next-day offers; I would assume that for the turnaround to be that quick, they must've interviewed with the HP. So, that's why I'm worried! I'm thinking that the HP makes all the final decisions, so if he liked me, I would've gotten an offer by now. Paranoid, I know, but that's what this process has done to me.
I definitely agree about the laidback thing. I thought the office was the farthest thing from stuffy. I guess it does totally depend on who interviews you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Sorry if my wording was confusing - I know you don't have to interview w/the HP to get an offer; my concern was that I *did* interview with him, and didn't get an offer (yet?). I know a lot of people posted that they got on-the-spot or next-day offers; I would assume that for the turnaround to be that quick, they must've interviewed with the HP. So, that's why I'm worried! I'm thinking that the HP makes all the final decisions, so if he liked me, I would've gotten an offer by now. Paranoid, I know, but that's what this process has done to me.
I definitely agree about the laidback thing. I thought the office was the farthest thing from stuffy. I guess it does totally depend on who interviews you.
(1) I am in the same boat as you are, all the way. Whichever of us finds out first should def. post what happened.

(2) I also liked the culture at Cahill (*loved* the associate I talked to), though I can see how ppl found the HP off-putting. He's very 'into' getting the best possible Cahill SAs.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

(1) I am in the same boat as you are, all the way. Whichever of us finds out first should def. post what happened.

(2) I also liked the culture at Cahill (*loved* the associate I talked to), though I can see how ppl found the HP off-putting. He's very 'into' getting the best possible Cahill SAs.
I will definitely post with any updates. When was your interview? And yeah the HP was very hard to read; his interviewing style and some of his comments caught me off guard.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:00 pm

Update (I'm the OP and the poster two posts above):

CB on Thursday.
Snailmail ding on Tuesday, dated Friday.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does everyone interview with the hiring partner, or no? Curious if that factors into how quickly you get the offer.
no, but i did interview with the chairman. everyone usually gets a pretty top dog there...ie., chairman, hiring partner, floyd abrams, pete sloane, preska's husband (name escapes me)
The last paragraph of Peter Sloane's bio is pretty obnoxious. "Peter and his wife Jaar-mel, live in New York City with their three children, Nessia (Cornell, '08, Columbia Law '11), Alex (Harvard '09) and Jake (Harvard '12)."

http://www.cahill.com/attorneys/data/422

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:59 pm

It's not obnoxious--it's achievement.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:04 pm

Haha I've been changing the legend of the next day rejection to make it even more epic. As I tell the tale now, I say that the hiring partner was essentially looking down and writing my rejection letter as he was speaking to me :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does everyone interview with the hiring partner, or no? Curious if that factors into how quickly you get the offer.
no, but i did interview with the chairman. everyone usually gets a pretty top dog there...ie., chairman, hiring partner, floyd abrams, pete sloane, preska's husband (name escapes me)
The last paragraph of Peter Sloane's bio is pretty obnoxious. "Peter and his wife Jaar-mel, live in New York City with their three children, Nessia (Cornell, '08, Columbia Law '11), Alex (Harvard '09) and Jake (Harvard '12)."

so he's got smart kids...what's it to you? he's eccentric, but he's a really down to earth, thoughtful guy. i don't think i'm going to accept cahill's offer, but meeting with him was the highlight of my interview. it's pretty rare to meet someone so frank, yet patient in offering perspective.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:09 pm

Bump. This thread has been quiet awhile. Any recent news? Still waiting 1 week post CB here.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

What a striver.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:23 pm

Any news here recently? Its been a little over a week since my CB and I've heard nothing.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any news here recently? Its been a little over a week since my CB and I've heard nothing.
FWIW, I did a CB last week and they said there will probably be about a 10 day turnaround

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:03 am

Received an offer yesterday via email and accepted. CB on 10/07.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:Received an offer yesterday via email and accepted. CB on 10/07.
Congrats! Out of curiosity, did you interview with the hiring partner?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Received an offer yesterday via email and accepted. CB on 10/07.
Congrats! Out of curiosity, did you interview with the hiring partner?
And did they originally tell you two weeks?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:51 am

Thanks! I didn't interview with the hiring partner. About the timeline, the recruiting coordinator told me that they tried to get back to people ASAP but it could be up to a two-week turnaround. Hope that helps and good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:53 am

Thank you! That alleviates some anxiety.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:36 pm

For people who have already accepted SAs at Cahill -- have you all just spoke to Recruiting via email/phone to accept? No hard copy of the offer is a little unnerving.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For people who have already accepted SAs at Cahill -- have you all just spoke to Recruiting via email/phone to accept? No hard copy of the offer is a little unnerving.
I called to accept, then received an email confirming my acceptance of the offer.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:11 pm

I also had CB on 10/7 and still haven't heard anything. Anyone know if this is a bad sign?

Also, Congrats!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:30 pm

Bump. Any news today?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bump. Any news today?
+1

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:49 pm

CB beginning of the week...ding in the mail today. Oh well, somewhat expected it after the interview.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”