Working part-time at firm during 3L? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
nigelfrost

Bronze

Working part-time at firm during 3L?

Post by nigelfrost » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:07 pm

Have any of you "clerked" during 3L at the firm for which you were an SA? What was the pay like? Did they keep you on the SA payscale, but switch you to hourly? Or did they pay less?

I've heard mixed answers for people I know and am just curious as to what's "standard practice."

What the f.supp?

Bronze

Re: Working part-time at firm during 3L?

Post by What the f.supp? » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:34 pm

Use forum search function. This was discussed a couple weeks ago. I'm on my phone or else I'd try to paste link.

nigelfrost

Bronze

Post by nigelfrost » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:04 pm

What the f.supp? wrote:Use forum search function. This was discussed a couple weeks ago. I'm on my phone or else I'd try to paste link.
If you're referring to http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=165200 then that really doesn't answer my question. The $50/hr rate mentioned there is $2000/week as an SA . . . about $800-$1200 less than most DC biglaw firms.

What's YOUR rate?

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:43 pm

I am currently working for my firm that I was an SA in last summer (I am a 2L). They pay same rate as during the summer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:43 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:I am currently working for my firm that I was an SA in last summer (I am a 2L). They pay same rate as during the summer.
So you can make 80k in your 3L year???

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

What the f.supp?

Bronze

Post by What the f.supp? » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:10 pm

That linked post does apply to DC biglaw. I know of at least 1 firm in the V5 that pays part-time students $50 and 4 other firms in the V15 that pay between $50-60/HR. From what I've seen and from talking to my friends, firms generally do not divide your weekly salary by 40 hours to figure the hourly rate. I don't know why. It is what it is.

luthersloan

Bronze

Post by luthersloan » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:30 pm

The reason why the don't divide you weekly salary by 40 and pay you that as a hourly rate is that you are expected to work a heck of a lot more than 40 hours a week to get said salary.

nigelfrost

Bronze

Post by nigelfrost » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:05 am

Thanks for the replies.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:I am currently working for my firm that I was an SA in last summer (I am a 2L). They pay same rate as during the summer.
So you can make 80k in your 3L year???
I work at a midsized firm so since I work part time they just pay me by the hour at he same rate that I was paid in the summer. I make nowhere near 80K per year haha, my firm doesn't pay their SA's the same salary as associates.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”