Mixed reactions at callbacks? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Mixed reactions at callbacks?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:38 pm

At most of my callbacks I've had great rapport with all the interviewers but one. There always seems to be one interviewer I just get a bad vibe from and can't build a rapport with.

is this usually indicitive of a ding? How much sway does one interviewer have?

Anonymous User

Re: Mixed reactions at callbacks?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:40 pm

I hear one interviewer who doesn't recommend you won't kill chances of an offer but two will.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:55 pm

I had the exact same situation. Interested as well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:56 pm

Wouldn't it matter how many interviewers you had? I know that ~5 is the norm, but I've had CBs with firms that only included 3-4 interviews where I hit the same problem.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:58 pm

Not OP, but for me it was a lunch with two partners that went well, three subsequent partner interviews that went well, and then the last partner interview that was "meh."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:01 pm

Got an offer from a V33 where I did not click with a partner. Said partner called to give me the offer. I think you can get an offer without getting into a good rhythm with every single interviewer, but you will need to have people who liked you enough to go to bat for you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got an offer from a V33 where I did not click with a partner. Said partner called to give me the offer. I think you can get an offer without getting into a good rhythm with every single interviewer, but you will need to have people who liked you enough to go to bat for you.
You should turn down the offer. It's not worth working at a firm that's outside the V32.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:34 pm

The two most common systems employed by firms are; all interviewers fill out a standardized form, which goes to a hiring partner or recruitment manager, who then considers your reviews along with your resume and grades, and makes a decision. At other firms, interviewers actually "vote," in those instances, generally one yes and you get the offer, unless there is a no, in which case you are dinged, most often, interviewers vote neutrally.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:39 pm

wut is a V33

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:40 pm

IMO, I don't think not clicking with one person will kill your chances of an offer. I've gotten offers at firms where I didn't click with one interviewer, who was usually a shy/quiet person. However, for me, the person I didn't click with has always been an associate - I'd tend to think that not clicking with a partner would hurt your chances more than not clicking with an associate, since the former have more input into who gets an offer and who doesn't.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:01 pm

Happened to me. First question with first interviewer was "So tell me everything you know about me."

I don't memorize bios, I just look for interesting things to talk about. The guy wasn't that interesting so I didn't have too much...

Every other interview went wonderfully, I thought.

Thoughts?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Happened to me. First question with first interviewer was "So tell me everything you know about me."

I don't memorize bios, I just look for interesting things to talk about. The guy wasn't that interesting so I didn't have too much...

Thoughts?
sounds like he might have been testing you. i have been wondering about this, too, since i've had pretty good interviews with most of the people i met and then one uncomfortable interview. similarly, i had one where my lunch with two young associates was just really awkward. can the lunch/dinner component hurt your chances significantly?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Happened to me. First question with first interviewer was "So tell me everything you know about me."

Thoughts?
sounds like he might have been testing you. i have been wondering about this, too, since i've had pretty good interviews with most of the people i met and then one uncomfortable interview. similarly, i had one where my lunch with two young associates was just really awkward. can the lunch/dinner component hurt your chances significantly?

I had a pretty awkward lunch at a v10 and still got an offer. I think as long as you don't horribly offend during the lunch, you're fine.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:34 pm

V20 CB 1 1/2 weeks ago. All my interviews went very well except for one with a partner who I knew was on the hiring committee. We just never got into the conversational groove that all my other interviews hit. I was worried about that interview every day thereafter, but I received an offer from the firm a couple of days ago. As such, I wouldn't worry too much about the one bad interview. I doubt many people go in and absolutely kill it with every person they talk to.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”