The joys of only one offer Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

The joys of only one offer

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:37 pm

ITT we talk about how awesome it is to only have one offer, and not have to decide which firm to go to.

lawschoolftw

Bronze

Re: The joys of only one offer

Post by lawschoolftw » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:42 pm

Also, there are the joys of having no offers. Now there are not only any choices, but you don't even have to go to work this summer. In fact, you really get to drop out of law school and drown in self pity and debt :)

mrloblaw

Silver

Post by mrloblaw » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:48 pm

lawschoolftw wrote:Also, there are the joys of having no offers. Now there are not only any choices, but you don't even have to go to work this summer. In fact, you really get to drop out of law school and drown in self pity and debt :)

Buzzkill.

lawschoolftw

Bronze

Post by lawschoolftw » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:01 pm

mrloblaw wrote:
lawschoolftw wrote:Also, there are the joys of having no offers. Now there are not only any choices, but you don't even have to go to work this summer. In fact, you really get to drop out of law school and drown in self pity and debt :)

Buzzkill.

haha sorry. Feeling an impending OCI strikeout coming on soon..

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:24 pm

I got an offer three days after my first callback. I was feeling like the cock of the walk. Six callbacks later and I'm 1/6 (Soon to be 1/7) and am far more grateful for the offer I had...(which I accepted when I was "only" 1/5)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:27 pm

It kind of feels like having sex with just one person instead of a ton of people. Still feels amazing.

Julio_El_Chavo

Silver

Post by Julio_El_Chavo » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It kind of feels like having sex with just one person instead of a ton of people. Still feels amazing.
you don't have to worry about those sketchy law firms with stds

nigelfrost

Bronze

Post by nigelfrost » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It kind of feels like having sex with just one person instead of a ton of people. Still feels amazing.
So, I guess splitting your summer between two firms would be a threesome.

fanmingrui

Bronze

Post by fanmingrui » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:16 pm

ITT lonely lawl students compare biglaw to getting laid.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got an offer three days after my first callback. I was feeling like the cock of the walk. Six callbacks later and I'm 1/6 (Soon to be 1/7) and am far more grateful for the offer I had...(which I accepted when I was "only" 1/5)
Yeah I got a bit too egotistical when I got preselected at every firm that I bid on at OCI. In the end, I got one call-back and one offer, from my second least favorite firm that I bid on. Happy to have an offer, but damn, talk about karma for cockiness.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:I got an offer three days after my first callback. I was feeling like the cock of the walk. Six callbacks later and I'm 1/6 (Soon to be 1/7) and am far more grateful for the offer I had...(which I accepted when I was "only" 1/5)
You sound like me. The second day of my school's three-day job OCI fair, I got the callback. They scheduled it for two days later (the day after the job fair). Got the offer 6 days later.

Then proceeded to strike out at my other three callbacks, including one firm I really wanted. Ouch.

But I love my offer. It (figuratively) stays on my night stand and keeps me warm at night.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:03 am

I know what you mean, OP. The only offer I got out of OCI was with a V5 firm. Only need one, etc., etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:33 am

I'll join the ranks of those who got their offers very early, and have been striking out since. 1st interview of the season back in July --> 1st CB --> 1st offer. Have been striking out since: nearly 20 screeners, still waiting from the resulting handful of CBs. The good thing is that my offer is at my top choice of all the firms I ever spoke to. <-- LUCKY MOTHERFUCKER.

I laugh when I read about people cancelling CBs though they have no offers. I take nothing for granted.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'll join the ranks of those who got their offers very early, and have been striking out since. 1st interview of the season back in July --> 1st CB --> 1st offer. Have been striking out since: nearly 20 screeners, still waiting from the resulting handful of CBs. The good thing is that my offer is at my top choice of all the firms I ever spoke to. <-- LUCKY MOTHERFUCKER.

I laugh when I read about people cancelling CBs though they have no offers. I take nothing for granted.
+1. Will never forget how I felt b4 I got that 1 offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:49 am

I got my single offer after CBs but before dings for the other firms I applied. it made every ding feel so much better, to be like "whatever, someone wants me!"

also helps that I really liked the firm who gave me an offer.

Eco

Bronze

Post by Eco » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:36 pm

^ I don't think it's a surprise that the firm you really like gives you the offer. When you get the CB it means they want you, they just want to know how badly you want them + if you're normal. If you really want that job, you will not fuck up the CB.

Julio_El_Chavo

Silver

Post by Julio_El_Chavo » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:41 pm

fanmingrui wrote:ITT lonely lawl students compare biglaw to getting laid.
I get laid every day, sometimes twice. You mad?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”