Reneging, at what point is it justified? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Reneging, at what point is it justified?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:36 pm

rayiner wrote:
paratactical wrote:Have you tried seeing if you can split the summer?
*boom* headshot.
Both are half-summer offers and ONLY the same half as one another--splitting is not an option. For further disclosure...If I had the opportunity to consider this for NALP standard 28 days, or even 2-3 weeks, then I would not back out at all. Whenever I say short deadline, I mean I had to fight just to get 72 hours to make the decision...Whether justified or not the shotgun approach the firm took makes me feel much better about making this tough choice.

Anonymous User

Re: Reneging, at what point is it justified?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rayiner wrote:
paratactical wrote:Have you tried seeing if you can split the summer?
*boom* headshot.
Both are half-summer offers and ONLY the same half as one another--splitting is not an option. For further disclosure...If I had the opportunity to consider this for NALP standard 28 days, or even 2-3 weeks, then I would not back out at all. Whenever I say short deadline, I mean I had to fight just to get 72 hours to make the decision...Whether justified or not the shotgun approach the firm took makes me feel much better about making this tough choice.
Yeah that's understandable. When I clicked on this thread I was thinking, "Is this guy serious?" but it is much easier to rationalize reneging since they put you in that position. Also, the fact that they aren't NALP suggests a significant difference in exit options (I'm assuming most more reputable private firms are members and that one reason they gave such a tight window is because they knew if you had time to receive other offers you would choose another firm over them) and makes it less likely that reneging will get you blacklisted or that word will spread. Them pressuring you instead of wanting you to take time to contemplate this very important decision does not speak well of them on a number of levels. Most firms only want people who really want them back and for whom it's the best situation, all things considered. They didn't give you much time to consider at all. I would bet that you are more likely to get no-offered at the non-NALP firm. You have to think about these things.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”