After accepting an offer, reply to dings?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

After accepting an offer, reply to dings?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:35 pm

When you've already accepted an offer, but dings keep coming through from your target market, is replying to them and letting them know of where you will be good networking? Or is it lame?

Anonymous User

Re: After accepting an offer, reply to dings?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When you've already accepted an offer, but dings keep coming through from your target market, is replying to them and letting them know of where you will be good networking? Or is it lame?

My gut says lame.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When you've already accepted an offer, but dings keep coming through from your target market, is replying to them and letting them know of where you will be good networking? Or is it lame?

I vote lame. HR people will forget your name before they even hang up the phone/close the email.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:38 pm

Lame. If it was a screener ding, you're probably one of 30948308430. If it was a CB ding, unless you really hit it off with an interviewer, don't bother. Keep their contact info and move on.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:38 pm

Totally lame. They don't care and will immediately forget.

daesonesb

Postby daesonesb » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:39 pm

I think its a pretty useless gesture. It's not like you're making great friends by replying to rejection letters.

With respect to doing this with other firms you have offers with, yes, I think the networking aspect is important. They liked you enough that they might remember you in a few years time. At the very least, keep in good graces with the person from whom you got your callback.

leobowski

Postby leobowski » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:29 pm

Total douche move.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:27 am

:lol:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:40 am

You just want to tell the dicks at the v100 that rejected you that you are taking an offer at a V10.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:26 am

What about letting an alum who interviewed you know where you will be working (in the same market)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:What about letting an alum who interviewed you know where you will be working (in the same market)?

Dude, no one cares.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:42 am

Is this guy serious? Is he trolling? Nobody could possibly be that douchy.

existenz

Postby existenz » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:11 am

Oh, TLS.

OP: Yes, you should totally get in touch with the people at the firms that dinged you. I'd suggest a gift basket, and definitely a handwritten note. Also include your newly pressed business cards with the name of your future firm embossed in gold lettering. This is a great networking strategy and will help you develop strong referral business down the road.

While you are at it, contact the law schools that dinged you and let them know of current developments. You never know when today's admissions dean might become tomorrow's lucrative client.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:31 pm

I got a "we're not hiring this year" rejection email, and i responded telling the firm that I hope things improve in the future and that I would like to apply as a 3L or lateral. It was genuine as the firm would be my #1 or 2 firm to work for. I think they liked my email.

But a "hey guise i have jerb at a better firm, oh noes!" letter would be lame.

Return to “Legal Employment”