Milbank vs V5s Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Milbank vs V5s

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:43 am

Want project finance. Worth it to turn down S&C, Skadden, DPW, and Cleary for Milbank?

Any through-the-grape-vine or reputation stuff I dont know about these guys is all welcome (in terms of work, specifically projects work, lifestyle, exit options, etc).

Thanks

quakeroats

Silver

Re: Milbank vs V5s

Post by quakeroats » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:Want project finance. Worth it to turn down S&C, Skadden, DPW, and Cleary for Milbank?

Any through-the-grape-vine or reputation stuff I dont know about these guys is all welcome (in terms of work, specifically projects work, lifestyle, exit options, etc).

Thanks
Why project finance?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:57 am

quakeroats wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Want project finance. Worth it to turn down S&C, Skadden, DPW, and Cleary for Milbank?

Thanks
Why project finance?
I answered this q enough in interviews. lets just assume I have relevant pre-lawschool WE and PF is why im in school.
I want to work with the best infrastructure and power project clients, not be miserable while im doing it, and have exit options to go in house with a project developer/sponsor after my firm time.

Where should I go? FWIW, of the 4-5 people you meet at cb, Milbank's were coolest (not in a work-related way, just in a getting along way)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
quakeroats wrote:

Thanks
Why project finance?
I answered this q enough in interviews. lets just assume I have relevant pre-lawschool WE and PF is why im in school.
I want to work with the best infrastructure and power project clients, not be miserable while im doing it, and have exit options to go in house with a project developer/sponsor after my firm time.

Where should I go? FWIW, of the 4-5 people you meet at cb, Milbank's were coolest (not in a work-related way, just in a getting along way)
If you are dead set on PF, then I don't see why not; Milbank (and to a lesser extent, Chadbourne) dominate the field. But don't overlook Skadden's PF team, particularly if you're interested in Oil & Gas/Energy. Also know that, if renewables is your thing, they advised on the Caithness/Shepherd's Flat deal last year, which was a monster (although that may have been one of their eight hundred satellite offices).
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

monkey85

Bronze

Post by monkey85 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:FWIW, of the 4-5 people you meet at cb, Milbank's were coolest
This amorphous "fit" component was big in my decision. If you liked the Milbank people, go for it. Furthermore, if you like international work and travel, go for it. Choosing Milbank, I bet you'll be in one of their foreign offices within 1 year of joining (LNG and other energy deals are going to boom globally).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:10 am

This amorphous "fit" component was big in my decision. If you liked the Milbank people, go for it.
Considering the fact that recruiting usually puts the firm's best people in the front, "getting along with people" on a callback or even a follow-up isn't necessarily the best indicator of much.

monkey85

Bronze

Post by monkey85 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:16 am

Fresh Prince wrote:Considering the fact that recruiting usually puts the firm's best people in the front, "getting along with people" on a callback or even a follow-up isn't necessarily the best indicator of much.
That is reasonable. So what is your advice...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:06 am

monkey85 wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:Considering the fact that recruiting usually puts the firm's best people in the front, "getting along with people" on a callback or even a follow-up isn't necessarily the best indicator of much.
That is reasonable. So what is your advice...
You could find out the people at your school who summered there or contact alumni (UG or law) working there as associates. I've talked to a few Milbank people outside the OCI/cb process that way and found them to be consistently awesome and enthusiastic about the place.

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
quakeroats wrote:

Thanks
Why project finance?

It sounds like you're on the right track. Just make sure you have a realistic picture of what the legal side entails. For example, there are plenty of CPAs that are shocked to find out that Tax is very different than what they did before.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:24 am

Specifically in the work/clients and exit options categories, are there any significant disadvantages choosing Milbank over one of these others?
Are Skadden exit options much better? Anyone have any insight in to this?

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:Specifically in the work/clients and exit options categories, are there any significant disadvantages choosing Milbank over one of these others?
Btw, do you have a preference for an area of project finance?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:37 am

quakeroats wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Specifically in the work/clients and exit options categories, are there any significant disadvantages choosing Milbank over one of these others?
In terms of a sector or industry, I want to work on power projects. I think all types of infrastructure are neat (domestic/international bridges, ports etc). but power plants and electricity grids are my main focus, and preferrably renewables (although at this point experience generally is more important). and within renewables, preferrably solar and batteries

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
In terms of a sector or industry, I want to work on power projects. I think all types of infrastructure are neat (domestic/international bridges, ports etc). but power plants and electricity grids are my main focus, and preferrably renewables (although at this point experience generally is more important). and within renewables, preferrably solar and batteries
Milbank and to a lesser extent Skadden would seem to be your answer:

http://www.chambersandpartners.com/USA/ ... 7#org_3640

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:35 pm

Thanks
Yes. The Vault rankings should in no way trump going to firm that excels in what you want to do.

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:55 pm

I understand turning down the others, but why not Skadden? They have a very respected projects team. Did you really like Milbank that much more?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:26 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:I understand turning down the others, but why not Skadden? They have a very respected projects team. Did you really like Milbank that much more?
I dont know really enough about either to make an educated choice bc ive only spent half a day at each, met a handful of people, and done research on their own websites (marketing pieces) and chambers and third party sites.

Thats why I want advice from all sources (for whatever it is worth).

Milbank or Skadden, lets say...are the "prestige" and exit options of skadden far superior to milbank? Does skadden deserve the bad sweatshop rep (compared to milbank, anyways)?

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
imchuckbass58 wrote:I understand turning down the others, but why not Skadden? They have a very respected projects team. Did you really like Milbank that much more?
I dont know really enough about either to make an educated choice bc ive only spent half a day at each, met a handful of people, and done research on their own websites (marketing pieces) and chambers and third party sites.

Thats why I want advice from all sources (for whatever it is worth).

Milbank or Skadden, lets say...are the "prestige" and exit options of skadden far superior to milbank? Does skadden deserve the bad sweatshop rep (compared to milbank, anyways)?
NY firms will all work you hard. At the big NY firms, your practice group is going to drive your hours more than the firm.

I think it's worth taking Milbank if your goal is in-house in project finance, but if you'd like to have broader options I think Skadden is worth it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”