What's the worst that could happen if . . . Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What's the worst that could happen if . . .

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:16 pm

someone instigated a lawsuit against his or her law school? (No, not for giving misleading information. . .something legitimate). Also, what about if this hypothetical person simply sent a threatening demand letter?

In order to tie this to employment, I am specifically wondering about possible repercussions with future employers. Would you have to disclose it to them? If you didn't disclose it, what might they do if they found out? Would they care about the merit of the case?

Also, and maybe more important, what could the law school do to the student? They can't put a student on academic probation or revoke a scholarship for pursuing his or her legal rights, can they?

Of course, this all purely. . . hypothetical. 8)

NOTE: Want to remain anon for obvious reasons.

BlueDiamond

Silver

Re: What's the worst that could happen if . . .

Post by BlueDiamond » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:21 pm

people like you are the reason that people like me do not enjoy law school

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Of course, this all purely. . . hypothetical. 8)
Real slick dogg, real slick.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:28 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:people like you are the reason that people like me do not enjoy law school
OP here. I'm actually being quite serious. Speaking in the abstract, what if a school makes a $ promise to a student, but later, after the student has already committed acts of reliance, the school decides to renege on its promise? The promise, of course, is in writing, but the school doesn't care.

okinawa

Bronze

Post by okinawa » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:30 pm

the school would probably do nothing.

you will make ATL and likely not in a positive light; your classmates will gossip about it and make fun of you; and it will ruin or significantly hamper your job prospects for any employer who can use google.

but I mean, if the claim is legitimate man.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:34 pm

okinawa wrote:the school would probably do nothing.

you will make ATL and likely not in a positive light; your classmates will gossip about it and make fun of you; and it will ruin or significantly hamper your job prospects for any employer who can use google.

So you think employers would run for the hills even if the school legitimately wronged the student?

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:37 pm

Out your school.

okinawa

Bronze

Post by okinawa » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:43 pm

Last edited by okinawa on Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:47 pm

This sounds retarded but just for fun tell us what laws or doctrine your claim will be based off of.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:53 pm

shoeshine wrote:This sounds retarded but just for fun tell us what laws or doctrine your claim will be based off of.
Sounds like a pretty obvious contract issue. Except the scholly probably has bulletproof stips.

mrloblaw

Silver

Post by mrloblaw » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:59 pm

Bronte wrote:
shoeshine wrote:This sounds retarded but just for fun tell us what laws or doctrine your claim will be based off of.
Sounds like a pretty obvious contract issue. Except the scholly probably has bulletproof stips.
You'd indeed expect that an institution made up almost entirely of lawyers would be pretty good at that sort of thing.

okinawa

Bronze

Post by okinawa » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:01 am

Last edited by okinawa on Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:08 am

Ten bucks says the scholarship offer including a disclaimer saying "this is contingent on X, Y, or Z" and one of those things occurred, allowing the school to revoke the money. If not, out and sue the school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:19 am

OP here. I've exhausted any administrative remedies at this point. I think the school is stonewalling simply because they think I'll give up. I'll let you all know if any thing happens, but I'm keeping it hush hush while I compile my case.

Btw, no stipulations have been violated; at least the school hasn't cited any. They basically said I misunderstood their promise.

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I've exhausted any administrative remedies at this point. I think the school is stonewalling simply because they think I'll give up. I'll let you all know if any thing happens, but I'm keeping it hush hush while I compile my case.

Btw, no stipulations have been violated; at least the school hasn't cited any. They basically said I misunderstood their promise.
Scholarships, Need Based Aid, and Grants are usually conditional promises based on availability. IE the school retains the right to take them away at any time. Unless you got an offer in writing with a specific guarantee I doubt you have a case,

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:41 am

shoeshine wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I've exhausted any administrative remedies at this point. I think the school is stonewalling simply because they think I'll give up. I'll let you all know if any thing happens, but I'm keeping it hush hush while I compile my case.

Scholarships, Need Based Aid, and Grants are usually conditional promises based on availability. IE the school retains the right to take them away at any time. Unless you got an offer in writing with a specific guarantee I doubt you have a case,
That's the linchpin for me. The offer is in writing, and it is so clear and unambiguous that it could jump right off the page and smack you in the face.

shepdawg

Bronze

Post by shepdawg » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:44 am

In Re Converse, 258 Neb. 159 (1999).

Sorry bro. Looks like you're f'd.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:34 pm

okinawa wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

So you think employers would run for the hills even if the school legitimately wronged the student?
yes. no one wants to hire a liability, even if they were potentially wronged. it also shows an inability to problem-solve outside of lawsuits.
Agreed. If you have the cohones to take on your school, who knows what you will do if you feel wronged by the firm. It's unfair, but that's the deal. Disclaimer: I've never run a law firm or any business for that matter, I am a lowly 3L. But I know that common sense says I should steer away from potential sources of trouble. In a brutal market where T14 grads are going jobless and where I essentially have my pick of candidates, why would I bother with you?

TheFriendlyBarber

Bronze

Post by TheFriendlyBarber » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:10 pm

Castleberry v. Boeing Co., 880 F. Supp. 1435 (D. Kan. 1995).

Sorry bro. Looks like you're f'd.

seatown12

Silver

Post by seatown12 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:43 pm

okinawa wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

yes. no one wants to hire a liability, even if they were potentially wronged. it also shows an inability to problem-solve outside of lawsuits.
If an employer didn't want to hire someone because that person had sued for money to which they were legitimately entitled, what does that say about the employer? I would be very hesitant to work for them.

OP you just need to be absolutely sure you have a winning case because if you did misunderstand the school's offer, and you aren't actually entitled to that money, and you sue, then all the negative consequences people are talking about will occur and you will be deserving of them.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”