How many billable hours to expect

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How many billable hours to expect

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:13 pm

I'm trying to get a feeling for ranges of billable hours the firms I'm looking at might expect, and wondering what these numbers mean. Are these fair numbers?

1800-1900 (firms with this number of billables are rural and probably don't pay market, or you're doing patent prosecution)

1950-2000 (I actually hear this is what the expectation is at some of the top big law firms; true? most people, I imagine, are really at 2100ish at the big places? more?)

2100-2200 (my idea for "you're doing ok" at a standard big law firm. maybe it's higher)

2200-2400 (what you're looking at in a place with an 'intense work environment,' i.e. the top new york firms, a place like Quinn or Boies anywhere)

2400+ (certain associates in the firms from the prior category bill more. it sucks, but they do it. maybe this is the "partnership track"? maybe they are particularly busy for some reason - perhaps because this is the style of their practice group?)

What do you guys think of my estimates - naive? About right?

Anonymous User

Re: How many billable hours to expect

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm trying to get a feeling for ranges of billable hours the firms I'm looking at might expect, and wondering what these numbers mean. Are these fair numbers?

1800-1900 (firms with this number of billables are rural and probably don't pay market, or you're doing patent prosecution)

Rural? 1800 is the norm my area in the north east, and while it is not the most happening place in the world, it hardly qualifies as rural. That said, no one pays market around here. $110K seems to be the norm for the top dog regional midlaw, and a bit more for local biglaw satellites.

Some market-paying Boston biglaw bill that low. I'd imagine the same in other secondary markets.

mrloblaw

Postby mrloblaw » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:11 am

You're probably already aware, but NALP posts the billable requirement and averages for about half the major firms. http://www.nalpdirectory.com Unless the data is patently false, it should give you a decent idea for major classes of firms.

Omerta

Postby Omerta » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:56 am

mrloblaw wrote:You're probably already aware, but NALP posts the billable requirement and averages for about half the major firms. http://www.nalpdirectory.com Unless the data is patently false, it should give you a decent idea for major classes of firms.

I would bet it's patently false for more than 75% of firms. Most of the time, it's blank or just repeats the firm's minimum billable requirement, which is anywhere from 1850-2000.

Return to “Legal Employment”