Callback expenses

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Callback expenses

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:57 pm

I wanted to run a fee or two past people to make sure that I am not going to submit anything inappropriate to a firm:

Checked bag fee ($20 each way) - I assume this is expected, it was a multiple day trip.

Taxi after landing in the middle of the night (~$50) - this is the one I'm curious about. I have a receipt I'm submitting for a shuttle to the airport, which was in the middle of the day, for ~$30. I landed in the middle of the night and this service wasn't available, so I had to take a cab. I assume it's not a big deal, but I personally cringe at the sight/thought of a $50 cab charge.

Otherwise I'm only submitting less than $20 for transport to/from the airport on the interview-end of the trip.

I may be way over cautious here, but I'd rather eat a charge than send something questionable in.

User avatar
Glock
Posts: 395
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:48 pm

Re: Callback expenses

Postby Glock » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:59 pm

It's fine. These are all very moderate. The only suspicious thing is if you don't have a receipt or something.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Callback expenses

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:03 pm

OP:

I have all the receipts. I guess the only real receipt I'm concerned about is the cab, and I know that's because I'm a cab-adverse person and $50 on that is steep (although not all that much more than a shuttle).

This is being split between a number of firms, so I know it's not a hardship for them, but I definitely want to ensure my discretion isn't off so I wanted to bounce it off of people here.

User avatar
Glock
Posts: 395
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:48 pm

Re: Callback expenses

Postby Glock » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:05 pm

It just want matter. No decision maker is even going to see that shit. Especially if they are splitting.

HITeacher2
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:00 pm

Re: Callback expenses

Postby HITeacher2 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:07 pm

I actually think the checked bag fee is much more odious than the other fees. They expect you to take cabs, but they don't expect you to check baggage. You couldn't fit it all in carry on?

User avatar
Glock
Posts: 395
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:48 pm

Re: Callback expenses

Postby Glock » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:10 pm

HITeacher2 wrote:I actually think the checked bag fee is much more odious than the other fees. They expect you to take cabs, but they don't expect you to check baggage. You couldn't fit it all in carry on?



Lol.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Callback expenses

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:18 pm

Glock wrote:
HITeacher2 wrote:I actually think the checked bag fee is much more odious than the other fees. They expect you to take cabs, but they don't expect you to check baggage. You couldn't fit it all in carry on?



Lol.


Exactly.

Don't worry about a thing.

Here are some callback expenses I have heard of (just between my small circle of friends):

Rental car for multi-day trip ($300+)

Taxi cab to and from airport (Mine) $140 total

Last-minute plane ticket for flyback ($600)

Breakfast ($30)

Dinner ($50)

Hotels. I personally have asked two travel agents how much to book hotels for. Both said something like "150-300 dollars per night." I said to one "What about an 80 dollar hotel?" He said: "Ick, don't be gross and book the $250 hotel. The firms don't see the bill anyways. It is aggregated by month."

I don't think it is ethical to charge as much as you can. However, I do know that firms are trying to woo you as well and any reasonable expenses on the NALP form should be billed. If you have any issues, wait until you get the determination to send in the expense report.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Callback expenses

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:19 pm

HITeacher2 wrote:I actually think the checked bag fee is much more odious than the other fees. They expect you to take cabs, but they don't expect you to check baggage. You couldn't fit it all in carry on?


OP.

It was 4 interviews splitting over a weekend.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Callback expenses

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
HITeacher2 wrote:I actually think the checked bag fee is much more odious than the other fees. They expect you to take cabs, but they don't expect you to check baggage. You couldn't fit it all in carry on?


OP.

It was 4 interviews splitting over a weekend.


Firms don't care as long as it is reasonable. I think that you just need to be good to them and not shady. I think that this fee is reasonable.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Callback expenses

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
HITeacher2 wrote:I actually think the checked bag fee is much more odious than the other fees. They expect you to take cabs, but they don't expect you to check baggage. You couldn't fit it all in carry on?


OP.

It was 4 interviews splitting over a weekend.


Firms don't care as long as it is reasonable. I think that you just need to be good to them and not shady. I think that this fee is reasonable.


OP, i'm in a similar position and i plan on submitting the receipt for my checked bags. that said, i drove myself to the airport i flew out of and am parking at one the lots there for my stay ($10/day for about 7 days). will the firms reimburse that expense, especially since a round trip cab rice (the only other alternative i had) would've been about $100?

Sup Kid
Posts: 557
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:49 pm

Re: Callback expenses

Postby Sup Kid » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
HITeacher2 wrote:I actually think the checked bag fee is much more odious than the other fees. They expect you to take cabs, but they don't expect you to check baggage. You couldn't fit it all in carry on?


OP.

It was 4 interviews splitting over a weekend.

So between the extra $20 for the taxi v. shuttle and the extra $40 for checked bags, that's $15 more per firm. Seriously, don't worry about it.

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6374
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: Callback expenses

Postby 5ky » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
HITeacher2 wrote:I actually think the checked bag fee is much more odious than the other fees. They expect you to take cabs, but they don't expect you to check baggage. You couldn't fit it all in carry on?


OP.

It was 4 interviews splitting over a weekend.


Firms don't care as long as it is reasonable. I think that you just need to be good to them and not shady. I think that this fee is reasonable.


OP, i'm in a similar position and i plan on submitting the receipt for my checked bags. that said, i drove myself to the airport i flew out of and am parking at one the lots there for my stay ($10/day for about 7 days). will the firms reimburse that expense, especially since a round trip cab rice (the only other alternative i had) would've been about $100?


Yes, they will. Most firms say they will NOT reimburse you for gas mileage to and from airport if you choose to drive, but WILL pay for parking there.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Callback expenses

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:49 am

What about in-room Internet? Sort of necessary to research firms and write thank yous. $14.95 per day is pricey, but seems unavoidable to me.

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6374
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: Callback expenses

Postby 5ky » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:What about in-room Internet? Sort of necessary to research firms and write thank yous. $14.95 per day is pricey, but seems unavoidable to me.


Yes, also fine. I've called a few firms about it, all seemed surprised I was even asking.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Callback expenses

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:39 am

I asked to the firm's travel agents to make a hotel reservation -- apparently all of their direct billing hotels were booked, so they reserved a $470 room for me at a hotel a little farther away. Obviously, they made the reservation, so I'm hoping it's ok, but I'm not going to get any grief over that, am I?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Callback expenses

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:42 am

Went to dinner with a friend after a cb, and split bill so I could get reimbursed for my half. Only came out to $30 or so, but it shows everything on the receipt including a split bottle of wine. Is this an issue?

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6374
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: Callback expenses

Postby 5ky » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:I asked to the firm's travel agents to make a hotel reservation -- apparently all of their direct billing hotels were booked, so they reserved a $470 room for me at a hotel a little farther away. Obviously, they made the reservation, so I'm hoping it's ok, but I'm not going to get any grief over that, am I?


What the christ. THEY made the reservation. Full stop.

Sup Kid
Posts: 557
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:49 pm

Re: Callback expenses

Postby Sup Kid » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:I asked to the firm's travel agents to make a hotel reservation -- apparently all of their direct billing hotels were booked, so they reserved a $470 room for me at a hotel a little farther away. Obviously, they made the reservation, so I'm hoping it's ok, but I'm not going to get any grief over that, am I?

Anonymous User wrote:Went to dinner with a friend after a cb, and split bill so I could get reimbursed for my half. Only came out to $30 or so, but it shows everything on the receipt including a split bottle of wine. Is this an issue?

Ok, this is getting out of control. Please stop being so neurotic everyone.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Callback expenses

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:00 pm

A firm's travel agency booked me a $1,400 flight. It was for a total of ~500 miles. I didn't catch any flack from the firm or others. Judge all future "the travel agency did X" against this metric.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.