thoughts on sidley chicago?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273598
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

thoughts on sidley chicago?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:22 pm

I'm trying to choose between Sidley in Chicago, and a very well respected DC firm. Geography points me towards Sidley, while culture on first impression is a wash. My interest is in litigation.

Anything I should now about Sidley, good bad or ugly, before picking it over DC and starting a career there?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273598
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: thoughts on sidley chicago?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:06 am

I am faced with a similar decision and am leaning towards sidley.

Every firm I interviewed with had at least one knock against them for some reason but I am having trouble finding any knocks against sidley austin. I suppose I don't like that they make you pick a practice group at the end of the summer and that they are perhaps not at the tippity top of chicago for lit (kirkland, prob even mayer wins out at the moment) but I get the vibe that the firm is on a pretty significant upswing and is clearly on another level overall then the mayer, jenner, winstons of the world.

They offered everyone last summer, the kids I know that worked there universally loved it, they are hiring 3L's and appear quite busy. I think it sounds like kirkland without the aggressiveness/workaholicness (even though sidley folks will pull serious hours). People are leaving other firms to go to sidley but I hear significantly less of the reverse.

Biglaw is going to be hard work wherever, might as well do it at the best place you can in terms of a name and I think Sidley is at the very top of the game in Chicago. After visiting every Chicago biglaw firm for callbacks, I have come out of OCI convinced that Kirkland and Sidley are the two best law firms in Chicago (not including bartlit beck) and everyone else is on a different level. Having said that, I don't know what exit options Sidley gives that Jenner, Winston and Mayer wouldn't but the vibe at Sidley is definitely one of growth, positivity and upswing and I would hesitate to say that about the others.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273598
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: thoughts on sidley chicago?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:32 am

I am a Chicagoan and would definitely take Williams & Connolly and Covington over Sidley Chicago but would have to give more thought to WilmerHale and Arnold & Porter would be a push, probably lean towards Sidley. I don't think I would take any DC satellite over it with the exception of OMM and GDC if I wanted appellate work.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273598
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: thoughts on sidley chicago?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:00 pm

So, OP here. If my DC offer is wilmer or AP, is it fair to say it's really just a matter of geographic preference?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273598
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: thoughts on sidley chicago?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So, OP here. If my DC offer is wilmer or AP, is it fair to say it's really just a matter of geographic preference?


What do you want to do long-term? If government work, then take Wilmer. Otherwise, it's just geographic preference.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273598
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: thoughts on sidley chicago?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So, OP here. If my DC offer is wilmer or AP, is it fair to say it's really just a matter of geographic preference?


What do you want to do long-term? If government work, then take Wilmer. Otherwise, it's just geographic preference.


frankly if you want government eventually, you can't go wrong with wilmer OR A&P, the latter of which is known for sending its lawyers into government positions. frankly, i think it's just a matter of geographic preference and work environment. DC firms tend to be a bit "stuffier" than firms in most other markets, if that's a point of concern.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273598
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: thoughts on sidley chicago?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So, OP here. If my DC offer is wilmer or AP, is it fair to say it's really just a matter of geographic preference?


What do you want to do long-term? If government work, then take Wilmer. Otherwise, it's just geographic preference.


frankly if you want government eventually, you can't go wrong with wilmer OR A&P, the latter of which is known for sending its lawyers into government positions. frankly, i think it's just a matter of geographic preference and work environment. DC firms tend to be a bit "stuffier" than firms in most other markets, if that's a point of concern.


OP can probably determine this from his/her callbacks, but Wilmer is probably equally stuffy as Sidley and A&P is more laid back. Granted, Covington and W&C are stuffy, but I don't think you can say DC firms are stuffy across the board.

A&P does have some less glamorous work--namely, big tobacco. And at either DC firm you could end up specializing in regulatory or antitrust, specialties that are hard to transfer back to Chicago, should you wish to return.

I would decide mostly on the basis of geographic preference.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: thoughts on sidley chicago?

Postby rayiner » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So, OP here. If my DC offer is wilmer or AP, is it fair to say it's really just a matter of geographic preference?


What do you want to do long-term? If government work, then take Wilmer. Otherwise, it's just geographic preference.


frankly if you want government eventually, you can't go wrong with wilmer OR A&P, the latter of which is known for sending its lawyers into government positions. frankly, i think it's just a matter of geographic preference and work environment. DC firms tend to be a bit "stuffier" than firms in most other markets, if that's a point of concern.


OP can probably determine this from his/her callbacks, but Wilmer is probably equally stuffy as Sidley and A&P is more laid back. Granted, Covington and W&C are stuffy, but I don't think you can say DC firms are stuffy across the board.

A&P does have some less glamorous work--namely, big tobacco. And at either DC firm you could end up specializing in regulatory or antitrust, specialties that are hard to transfer back to Chicago, should you wish to return.

I would decide mostly on the basis of geographic preference.


I mean it's a geographic/career trade-off. If you want to exit into government, but want to live in Chicago, well, you gotta decide which you want more.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273598
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: thoughts on sidley chicago?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:11 pm

It might be worth bearing in mind that Sidley has a very well respected DC office, as well (esp. for appeals and trade law). There's no guarantee they'd be willing to let you transfer after a few years in Chicago, but if you want to be in Chicago now but might, down the road, you decide you want to be in DC, you would at least have your foot in the door.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.