Jenner v Winston v Katten (Chi)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which would you choose in Chicago?

Jenner & Block
43%
Katten Muchin
26%
Winston & Strawn
31%

Total votes: 35

Anonymous User

Jenner v Winston v Katten (Chi)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:03 pm

Interested in litigation, not sure past that however. Deciding between these three. Thoughts?

Anonymous User

Re: Jenner v Winston v Katten (Chi)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:04 pm

does Chicago have BIG LAW?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:11 pm

this thread is relevant to my interests

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:38 am

FWIW I am interested in corporate and did a CB w/ Winston recently. I was very impressed w/ the breadth of their corporate practice, including securities work, banking, finance, private equity, M&A, & hedge fund work. In that way, it's like a mini-Sidley. Jenner is only good in corp for bankruptcy-related work, maybe. Katten has a specific expertise in real estate, though I know they had some partners poached recently. If I were picking corporate, I think Winston is the clear winner.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:35 am

Winston is the clear winner here.

Jenner doesn't pay market salaries or bonuses and is considered unstable by many.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:Winston is the clear winner here.

Jenner doesn't pay market salaries or bonuses and is considered unstable by many.

i'll disagree with this. OP, if you want litigation, Jenner is one of the top firms in Chicago for lit. Plus they recently instituted a very generous billable hours requirement, in which everything, from pro bono to recruiting to CLE, counts towards your billable hour requirement.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:10 am

On what day did you receive your Katten offer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:59 am

OP here.

Anonymous User wrote:Winston is the clear winner here.

You're referring to non-lockstep? Also, what is it that makes them unstable? It is my understanding that they are secure financially.

Winston seems like an outstanding firm, but it didn't click on my callback. A lot of closed doors and stuffy atmosphere, no one seemed to know each other. Contrast this with Jenner and Katten, where the people were more casual and friendly, and had great things to say about their job. Anyone have similar experience at Winston?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:03 am

Webb & Strawn is the choice here

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:04 am

which firm has the best work-life BAILANCE? in a dull city like chicago you really need to find the firm that will keep you holed up in your office the longest IMHO

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:08 am

^^^ If you think Chicago is dull you've got serious problems. Other than New York, what U.S. city is more exciting than Chicago??

Anyway, I went on a Jenner call back earlier this week and I loved the firm. I don't know about it being unstable, but strictly in terms of people I would want to work with I thought it was great.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:15 am

Jenner's significantly better for litigation. Winston's significantly better for corporate (except for maybe Bankruptcy).

Culture-wise, Jenner's more laid back, prob a bit more work-life balance place, has a strong culture of pro bono (one of the strongest in the country), and is not bad--for a biglaw firm--for a working attorney with a family. Winston's more of a work-hard party-hard place, has much more of a "fratty" or bro atmosphere, and is known for being a bit of an old boys club. If you want somewhere where the office will empty out at 6:30pm and everyone will go home to their families, go Jenner. If you want somewhere where the office will empty out at 7:30 and everyone will go out to bars, go Winston. (Obviously there are people who go out to bars / go home to families at each place--I'm just trying to capture the general atmosphere.) Jenner's one of the most politically liberal firms in the country, while Winston's definitely on the conservative side.

Money-wise, the firms are both similarly positioned and are each likely to continue to do reasonably well (but not amazingly so) into the foreseeable future. Neither is remotely close to unstable, but also neither will give you the absolute top of the line for bonuses and whatnot (only Kirkland and maybe Sidley in Chicago will). My understanding is that Winston probably pays a little more (5% or so) after your second or third year when bonuses are factored into the equation, but both firms pay close-to (albeit not quite) the NYC market for 3rd+ year associates (both are market for the first couple years).

Hope that helps!

--Chicago biglaw attorney not at either firm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:17 am

Winston has interior offices for 1st years. No windows. None.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:20 am

Dear Chicago Biglaw Attorney:

Could you please provide similar analysis for Sidley and Mayer?

Thank you

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:32 am

Clear choice is Jenner. Their lit reputation far exceeds Winston (which has a good one) but as alluded to by an earlier poster is mainly centered around 1 rainmaker partner. Also Jenner cares more about developing associates. This is evident in their commitment to making sure all associates get good experiences through interesting pro bono matters.

OP wants lit, Jenner is lit, go to Jenner.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:48 am

This is going to be a bit more brief...

Sidley: friendly atmosphere, top-quality work, very strong in both lit and corporate although maybe not *the* best in Chicago for either (although close). Team-based approach, which can turn out well if you like your team, and fairly poorly if you don't. As close to NYC-level compensation as you can get in Chicago w/out going Kirkland (or Bartlit Beck). Not quite as work-life-y or pro-bono focused as Jenner, but close.

Mayer: tops for appellate litigation in Chicago, a bit more of an egg-head environment. The firm's a bit "quirky" which in this case is probably more synonymous to nerdy than it is to interesting (although I think people are also interesting at Mayer). Mayer used to be stronger in Chicago, but hasn't been especially well-run or managed recently, so has fallen a bit off its reputation of ~10+ years ago. Probably the least stable of the big Chicago firms, but still unlikely to go under or see mass lay-offs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:06 pm

^ Great insight.

Question about Jenner corporate. A number of people have said that they are only good for Bankruptcy. Is it really that extreme?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:10 pm

Jenner's not *bad* for anything (there are very few biglaw firms that are bad for anything). It's just that its non-bankruptcy corporate division's small and isn't going to get many high profile deals. There are strong attorneys there, though, and you'll still get solid work. Because of the size of the department, it's going to have more of a boutique-y feel (for better or for worse).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:27 pm

OP again

Thanks for the debate and info on Jenner/Winston. Tough choice still. No one wants to touch Katten, is it really not in the same class as the others? What about Mayor Daley factor?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:37 pm

It's not in the same class, no. Sorry!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:13 pm

KaTTTen bro

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:34 pm

The Mayor Daley factor is pretty cool, have to admit. I just don't know what difference it would make for a junior level. I don't see Hizzoner spending much time running a doc review.

Return to “Legal Employment”