Houston Firms v. National Firms

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Houston Firms v. National Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:43 pm

I know there was the BB v. V&E thread the other day, but I wanted to get peoples opinions on the Texas Big3 versus National Firms (Latham, etc) in Houston. Do people think partner defections will continue? More job security at a Big3 or national firm? Any other ways people are deciding between them all?

Would also like thoughts on strength of energy transactional practices at the varying firms (including NYC and DC firms).

Anonymous User

Re: Houston Firms v. National Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know there was the BB v. V&E thread the other day, but I wanted to get peoples opinions on the Texas Big3 versus National Firms (Latham, etc) in Houston. Do people think partner defections will continue? More job security at a Big3 or national firm? Any other ways people are deciding between them all?

Would also like thoughts on strength of energy transactional practices at the varying firms (including NYC and DC firms).

I think it is a trend that will continue. Will it make a dent against the Big3? IMO, not within the next 10 yrs...further out than that, I have no idea. A lot of these national firms realize that the energy market is not only strong, but centered in Houston. So to make inroads, they have to be in the market. That being said, I don't know how generalized or specialized they will remain; for example, Latham is almost like a transactional boutique in a sense right now in that they primarily handle transactional work.

Compensation is better at these firms and that is why there have been a lot of recent defections. National firms are just throwing money at the partners. I don't know if that is a sustainable business plan lol, but you do work harder for a bit more pay at these branch offices...from what I've seen and heard.

I am not completely sure, but my gut says there is definitely more job security at a Big3 right now than at a Houston branch office of a national firm. And as far is strength of energy practice goes...I believe the Big3 win in that category hands down.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:28 pm

Does the Big3 being best for Energy transactional work extend to someone willing to go to NYC or DC (i.e. assuming you had offers about Skadden, Dewey and Latham along with the big3)?? Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:38 pm

This is relevant to my interests

Return to “Legal Employment”