Exit Options between two mid-size firms Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Exit Options between two mid-size firms

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:18 pm

Current offers:
1. Small/Mid size firm that does professional liability defense, business lit for small/mid size businesses, insurance defense, labor law. Some appellate lit, though it has no department devoted to it.
2. Small/Mid size firm that does exclusively class action for consumer products (plaintiff side). Very minor amounts of appellate lit. (I'm concerned about the effect of AT&T v. Concepcion on the long term stability of this firm.)

Basically, I wouldn't mind working at either of the above firms for a few years, but not interested enough to make a career there.

Medium-term goal: Lateral to a solidly mid-size firm. Ideally would like to do appellate litigation, but i know this is really hard to get. I'm not a US citizen, so getting a clerkship is going to be particularly difficult, so assume that I won't have/get a clerkship. More realistically, would like to practice business and corporate litigation in a larger context (mid size businesses). Wouldn't mind going in-house at a small/midsize business either, if that were an option.

Didn't get any biglaw offers, so I don't want to hear comparisons to how much better biglaw exit options are. Assume these two firms are the universe, and please give advice relative to each. Thank you.

Return to “Legal Employment”