EIP Results for Asian females

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

EIP Results for Asian females

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:26 am

Anecdotally, I've noticed that Asian women at my T10 school who aren't clearly in the top 25% are not doing so well relative to other similarly situated people. Unless they are fluent and literate in Chinese it seems like they have gotten fewer callbacks and then fewer offers. Am I crazy for thinking this? Do I just have a small sample size? Full disclosure, I'm an Asian female whose results are worse than anyone expected based on stats. This is a serious inquiry, because I'd like to know if it's just me or what.

jhett

Re: EIP Results for Asian females

Postby jhett » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:10 am

I don't think there's an overall trend in what you're noticing at your school. In this past summer class at my firm, Asian females were the most numerous out of all non-white race/gender combos. Likewise, this fall recruiting season I've noticed quite a few Asian females being interviewed amongst all the candidates.

Sorry for the tough times out in recruiting land. I think it's just hard for everyone out there...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:27 am

Asian women at my T5 school seem to be doing just fine. So I really don't think it's about the race.
I'm an Asian female myself (top 15%), don't speak a word of Chinese, got 14 cbs and a number of V10 offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:04 pm

Asian female (median at CCN; no foreign language skills): outperforming "estimated callback and offer results" w/r/t my grade range. Other Asian women at my school are doing even better, I would say...
Very, very sensitive to issues of race and discrimination but have not felt any negative influence during this process.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:09 pm

i think being an asian female is a positive. Asian males are the worst off.....

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:43 pm

One of my friends is a gay Asian female with twice as many callbacks as I do. She also has below median grades.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:47 pm

I also outperformed my grades but am not Asian. I guess the plural of "anecdote" isn't "data"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:38 pm

f7 wrote:I guess people will say anything to rationalize their OCI failures.

OP here. Not trying to rationalize. Pretty happy with my results overall. Very helpful, all.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:39 pm

My last callback to a V20, roughly 75% of the dozen or so people on a callback to the firm that day were Asian females. There are Asian females at my school around median who are getting V3.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:40 pm

Asians are overrepresented (relative to US population) in law schools, but not overrepresented in Big Law Firms

my gut says Asians in general are at a slight disadvantage, unless there are discrete groups of Asians that are at a disadvantage while others are not (LLMs for example). There was a thread on this a while back.
Last edited by Borhas on Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

luthersloan

Postby luthersloan » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:42 pm

I am not sure that point, about underepresentation is correct, at least not at the associate level. But even if it is, there are many other reasons then selection against Asian females by firms, that is merely one of many possibilities.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:45 pm

luthersloan wrote:I am not sure that point, about underepresentation is correct, at least not at the associate level. But even if it is, there are many other reasons then selection against Asian females by firms, that is merely one of many possibilities.

Not saying Asians are underrepresented in relation to the greater US population, but instead that Asians are overrepresented in law schools to begin with, but not overrepresented in Big Law, and thus underrepresented in relation other law students in the US.

ariadne86

Postby ariadne86 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:46 pm

Another question on race in general: Do you think a candidate is being compared to the entire pool, or to their specific group? I.e. black males only competing with other black males? I've heard different things from friends who are diversity recruiters.

luthersloan

Postby luthersloan » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:48 pm

Borhas wrote:
luthersloan wrote:I am not sure that point, about underepresentation is correct, at least not at the associate level. But even if it is, there are many other reasons then selection against Asian females by firms, that is merely one of many possibilities.

Not saying Asians are underrepresented in relation to the greater US population, but instead that Asians are overrepresented in law schools to begin with, but not overrepresented in Big Law, and thus underrepresented in relation other law students in the US.

Right, I am still not sure you are right, but even if you were it would lend only weak support to your argument that Asians are at a disadvantage since their could be many reasons for the differential.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:50 pm

luthersloan wrote:
Borhas wrote:

Right, I am still not sure you are right, but even if you were it would lend only weak support to your argument that Asians are at a disadvantage since their could be many reasons for the differential.

many reasons like what?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:54 pm

It should be a positive for you. You have to realize that both female and Asian are positive boxes that the firm gets to click on the NALP form. Both should help you.

People need to realize that your friends aren't a representative sample. Awkward people tend to hang out together.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It should be a positive for you. You have to realize that both female and Asian are positive boxes that the firm gets to click on the NALP form. Both should help you.

It's certainly pluses for diversity, but at the same time, I think Asian females likely have more stereotypes at like every single stage of the job process that they need to deal with. It's not all positives.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:14 pm

Borhas wrote:Asians are overrepresented (relative to US population) in law schools, but not overrepresented in Big Law Firms

my gut says Asians in general are at a slight disadvantage, unless there are discrete groups of Asians that are at a disadvantage while others are not (LLMs for example). There was a thread on this a while back.

As an Asian working looking at the South, I'm getting the sense that it is an advantage, or at least not a disadvantage.

Return to “Legal Employment”