Offer on the table now - but what about better offers later?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Offer on the table now - but what about better offers later?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:32 am

As a 3L who has an offer from a non-NALP boutique (not my first choice) firm, I have the following question:

There's another firm out there that I really want to work for (also non-NALP), who seems to really like me; but they won't be able (for a variety of reasons) to seriously consider offering me until February. Similarly, I have a couple other irons in the fire (government jobs, etc) that I'd much rather do than my current offer that may come through for me in the next six months. Of course, I don't want to be a scumbag and accept the offer, and then 3 months later rescind my acceptance.

What am I supposed to do here? Is anyone else also in this situation? I know that NALP has rules regarding when you have to accept offers, but I suspect that they don't apply in this situation.

jlxbos

Re: Offer on the table now - but what about better offers later?

Postby jlxbos » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:31 am

you might want to just consider asking to extend, extend, extend. i don't imagine they can pull your offer just because you asked. i know someone who landed a biglaw gig but really wanted to do public interest, and kept extending all the way into the spring (and was open about why she was doing so...granted your firm may not be so understanding, but they might be if you tell them it's for gov't, not for that other firm). she didn't end up get the pi job she was hoping for, and ended up working at the firm. i think extensions generally only last for so long, though, so you'd have to do it repeatedly...not comfortable, i know, but it's an option.

nymario

Postby nymario » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:As a 3L who has an offer from a non-NALP boutique (not my first choice) firm, I have the following question:

There's another firm out there that I really want to work for (also non-NALP), who seems to really like me; but they won't be able (for a variety of reasons) to seriously consider offering me until February. Similarly, I have a couple other irons in the fire (government jobs, etc) that I'd much rather do than my current offer that may come through for me in the next six months. Of course, I don't want to be a scumbag and accept the offer, and then 3 months later rescind my acceptance.

What am I supposed to do here? Is anyone else also in this situation? I know that NALP has rules regarding when you have to accept offers, but I suspect that they don't apply in this situation.

If your government job search can fairly be considered "public interest" (and I think it almost always can) -- then NALP guidelines allows you to request (and encourages firms to grant) an extension until April.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:40 pm

OP here. Okay, fair enough re the government job. But what about the firm job? Is that simply a non-starter?

nymario

Postby nymario » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:44 pm

Once you have the extension, I don't think you're required to take the government job or accept...You just have a new deadline. As long as your search was in good faith, I don't think there's anything stopping you from taking the other firm.

Return to “Legal Employment”