DOJ Honors

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: DOJ Honors

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Make that FIVE. (Me + a friend of mine from same law school = two lurkers.)

A friend of mine who got an EOIR offer last year said he got it during finals, after Thanksgiving.

Thanks for chiming in! Just curious, was your friend an originally alternate? I heard from a couple folks that all initial offers went out before Thanksgiving last year, and then some alternates were contacted during finals.

That's not accurate...I know of a few people who got their offers the week after Thanksgiving. However, the offers later than that seemed to be people who were all alternates. However, things could be later this year if EOIR, in fact, hasn't started making offers. There were multiple reports of reference calls and offers on here at this point last year (and again, the data is smaller this year, but it's still large enough that we should hear news of something).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Or 3) a very high percentage of the alternates are reading and posting on this blog.

..good point...if anyone is sitting at their computer with an EOIR offer and reading this, please save us w/ an update...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Make that FIVE. (Me + a friend of mine from same law school = two lurkers.)

A friend of mine who got an EOIR offer last year said he got it during finals, after Thanksgiving.

Thanks for chiming in! Just curious, was your friend an originally alternate? I heard from a couple folks that all initial offers went out before Thanksgiving last year, and then some alternates were contacted during finals.

That's not accurate...I know of a few people who got their offers the week after Thanksgiving. However, the offers later than that seemed to be people who were all alternates. However, things could be later this year if EOIR, in fact, hasn't started making offers. There were multiple reports of reference calls and offers on here at this point last year (and again, the data is smaller this year, but it's still large enough that we should hear news of something).

I don't know whether he was an alternate. I don't know whether he knows he was an alternate.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:54 pm

Make that 7 EOIR finalists without an offer. I asked one reference, and he hasn't been called yet. Still holding on hope.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:22 pm

ATL post in the comment section stating that an EOIR Honors offer went out this week.

I don't really know what to think about the whole mess at this point. Just going to try and enjoy my Thanksgiving and hope this process is over with soon.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:51 pm

Make that EIGHT EOIR finalists without an offer -- also haven't heard anything from my references yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:Make that EIGHT EOIR finalists without an offer -- also haven't heard anything from my references yet.

This is officially amusing. All of you don't forget to report back if you DO hear anything. Remember how you, too, were once a confused EOIR finalist trying to find solace on the internet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:14 am

Hey folks, found out through some connections and unofficial means that I'm an alternate (EOIR Finalist). Not the news I wanted right before Thanksgiving, but trying to keep my chin up. It's a tight budget year, but hopefully something will work out. Keeping my fingers crossed for the rest of y'all. Happy Thanksgiving.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:21 am

Sorry to hear that; it is a bummer to hear right before Thanksgiving. Thanks for keeping us updated, though. Did you happen to get any sense as to whether they've completed all their first round offers already?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:Sorry to hear that; it is a bummer to hear right before Thanksgiving. Thanks for keeping us updated, though. Did you happen to get any sense as to whether they've completed all their first round offers already?

Sorry, I didn't. I do know that offers have gone and are going out though. Hope you hear something today!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:34 am

Thank you. Hope it ends in good news for you as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Sorry to hear that; it is a bummer to hear right before Thanksgiving. Thanks for keeping us updated, though. Did you happen to get any sense as to whether they've completed all their first round offers already?

Sorry, I didn't. I do know that offers have gone and are going out though. Hope you hear something today!

Sorry to hear that. I wonder how many people they placed on alternate lists. Did you get any sense of that from your connections? Since I haven't heard anything from my references, I should resign myself to the fact that I am also an alternate.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:Sorry to hear that. I wonder how many people they placed on alternate lists. Did you get any sense of that from your connections? Since I haven't heard anything from my references, I should resign myself to the fact that I am also an alternate.

I wish they would just let us know where we all stand. Since it could take until February to get a definitive answer, it would be great to know what our chances are. I don't see any harm in letting people know if they're alternates and what the size of the list is, but it doesn't look like we'll get that information.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:12 pm

I was told at the interview that, if you're not selected for the first round of offers, you'll receive a letter around the end of November as to whether you're still under consideration. So I think they do tell you one way or another, just not yet.

And I guess I make NINE EOIR finalists with no word.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:48 pm

...Jeesh, maybe EOIR selected everyone interviewed as finalists.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:08 pm

I guess we'll have to wait until Monday...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:27 pm

I really think EOIR is hiring less than 30 this year; my interviewer thought it was only going to be 20. Maybe they're waiting until they find more out about the budget.

Regardless, we can't find out anything until Monday, so everyone have a happy Thanksgiving until then.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I really think EOIR is hiring less than 30 this year; my interviewer thought it was only going to be 20. Maybe they're waiting until they find more out about the budget..

No. From Avue:
Have any components, particularly EOIR, indicated that they will be hiring less than the numbers projected ...? I ask because that page states that the projections are contingent on the availability of funds.

No, EOIR has not revised its hiring estimate downwards.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:34 pm

I know, but I think AVUE could be wrong on this one.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know, but I think AVUE could be wrong on this one.

Okay. So you have an official statement from OARM, but you choose to go with your own paranoia and the impression of one attorney who, in all likelihood, doesn't know all that much about the hiring needs of the DOJ as a whole. Good for you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Okay. So you have an official statement from OARM, but you choose to go with your own paranoia and the impression of one attorney who, in all likelihood, doesn't know all that much about the hiring needs of the DOJ as a whole. Good for you.

On the big chart defining the order EOIR would tell its decision to reduce hiring numbers to, OARM is located somewhere between "Crystal City elevator repairman" and "trainee barista at Caribou Coffee."

I'm not saying that any weight should be given to whatever was said by the above anonymous poster's anonymous source, but whatever OARM has to say about the issue definitely isn't definitive. Moreover, that question was basically, "Has EOIR told you anything?" and their answer was "No, EOIR has not submitted a new courtesy hiring estimate form in triplicate to the relevant OARM bureaucrats."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

On the big chart defining the order EOIR would tell its decision to reduce hiring numbers to, OARM is located somewhere between "Crystal City elevator repairman" and "trainee barista at Caribou Coffee."

I'm not saying that any weight should be given to whatever was said by the above anonymous poster's anonymous source, but whatever OARM has to say about the issue definitely isn't definitive. Moreover, that question was basically, "Has EOIR told you anything?" and their answer was "No, EOIR has not submitted a new courtesy hiring estimate form in triplicate to the relevant OARM bureaucrats."

From the mouth of an attorney advisor for one of the immigration courts - the attorney advisor positions are considered high needs and will not be cut unless all hell breaks loose. It isn't like they hire 1 clerk per judge, it is generally 1 per court. The ICs are already over-burdened. Taking away their clerks would probably lead to mass hysteria.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:39 pm

This is the anonymous poster who posted about the possible reduction in hiring. I didn't mean to freak anyone out; it's just something I believe that OARM is misinformed about. I won't go into any more detail about what my interviewer told me, but I also had friends that interviewed who were told that EOIR would be hiring one clerk per court listed on the geographic preference sheet this year. I wrote those courts down, and there were approx 20, which comports with what my interviewer told me. And to the poster who wrote about them not wanting to cut the AA positions: I realize the problems that would cause, but they've already cut those positions at least from 56 to 31. Based on the courts we could rank, some courts will not be getting any clerks next year. They don't want to cut, but if the budget isn't there, it's not there.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong, but if I'm not, it could help explain why it seems as if there haven't been many reports of offers. It would be nice if we could get an accurate estimate of our chances, but I'm not sure if Avue is going to be able to provide that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This is the anonymous poster who posted about the possible reduction in hiring. I didn't mean to freak anyone out; it's just something I believe that OARM is misinformed about. I won't go into any more detail about what my interviewer told me, but I also had friends that interviewed who were told that EOIR would be hiring one clerk per court listed on the geographic preference sheet this year. I wrote those courts down, and there were approx 20, which comports with what my interviewer told me. And to the poster who wrote about them not wanting to cut the AA positions: I realize the problems that would cause, but they've already cut those positions at least from 56 to 31. Based on the courts we could rank, some courts will not be getting any clerks next year. They don't want to cut, but if the budget isn't there, it's not there.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong, but if I'm not, it could help explain why it seems as if there haven't been many reports of offers. It would be nice if we could get an accurate estimate of our chances, but I'm not sure if Avue is going to be able to provide that.

This is the poster above this one, lol. Used to there were clerk positions for 1 or 2 years. They have been moving out the 1-year clerkships and making them all two years with half coming available each year. That is why there were more positions in previous years. If I remember correctly, as of this year they have completely phased out the 1-year positions. That accounts for some of the number change from past years. It would definitely make sense that if there are 9 judges there would be more than one clerk. I work at a court with 3 judges and one AA, and we are currently docketing cases for 2015. If they do cut it down to one AA per court, that would suck really bad. I would almost be worried about IJ retention rates if that happens.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This is the poster above this one, lol. Used to there were clerk positions for 1 or 2 years. They have been moving out the 1-year clerkships and making them all two years with half coming available each year. That is why there were more positions in previous years. If I remember correctly, as of this year they have completely phased out the 1-year positions. That accounts for some of the number change from past years. It would definitely make sense that if there are 9 judges there would be more than one clerk. I work at a court with 3 judges and one AA, and we are currently docketing cases for 2015. If they do cut it down to one AA per court, that would suck really bad. I would almost be worried about IJ retention rates if that happens.

Current AA here. The one-year JLCs have been phased out for a couple years now, but this poster is correct about that mattering. The one-years were phased out unevenly, making hiring classes uneven (last year was relatively big, this year will be relatively small; I cannot and will not speak to how small, or anything else except for my three pieces of advice below).

My three pieces of advice:
1) From talking with other AAs in my hiring class, there were at least three distinct rounds of hiring. Don't lose hope until you actually get that rejection.
2) With #1 in mind, stop checking Avue and this topic. It will only stress you out and you will gather no useful information from doing it (except in this post :D ).
3) If you get an offer, take it. Even if it's for some detained court in bumfuck nowhere, the job is great, and former AAs typically appear to end up in some choice jobs after they've finished their two-year stint.

Good luck!

Return to “Legal Employment”