DOJ Honors

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273073
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Are you sure there is just one alternate per position? Just curious how you came up with that number?


No, I'm not sure. I seem to have gotten that impression from somewhere but I can't remember where.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273073
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:No offer for or reference calls on behalf of this EOIR finalist. I will say that I have several friends who have done this program and in years past offers have gone out the Tuesday or Wednesday before Thanksgiving. So, I'm not waiting by the phone just yet. Good Luck to everyone!


Any news for you?


Sorry, nope. I'm beginning to think that means alternate. Hard to believe references would be called today and offers tomorrow. Good luck!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273073
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sorry, nope. I'm beginning to think that means alternate. Hard to believe references would be called today and offers tomorrow. Good luck!

Somebody mentioned upthread that reference calls are made immediately before offer calls -- like more of a formality than anything else.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273073
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:47 pm


Anonymous User
Posts: 273073
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:ATL now has a post up:
http://abovethelaw.com/2011/11/a-justic ... my-news/2/

ATL says there are confirmed offers from Crim and EOIR. If you know of any others, share!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273073
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:No offer for or reference calls on behalf of this EOIR finalist. I will say that I have several friends who have done this program and in years past offers have gone out the Tuesday or Wednesday before Thanksgiving. So, I'm not waiting by the phone just yet. Good Luck to everyone!


Any news for you?


Sorry, nope. I'm beginning to think that means alternate. Hard to believe references would be called today and offers tomorrow. Good luck!


Nothing here, either. It seems as if there must be a lot of EOIR alternates...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273073
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:No offer for or reference calls on behalf of this EOIR finalist. I will say that I have several friends who have done this program and in years past offers have gone out the Tuesday or Wednesday before Thanksgiving. So, I'm not waiting by the phone just yet. Good Luck to everyone!


Any news for you?


Sorry, nope. I'm beginning to think that means alternate. Hard to believe references would be called today and offers tomorrow. Good luck!


Nothing here, either. It seems as if there must be a lot of EOIR alternates...


Curious why the above poster suggested one alternate per position. It'd be great if that were true.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273073
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Curious why the above poster suggested one alternate per position. It'd be great if that were true.


I keep hearing that idea float around here, and it might not be based off of any real information. However, how many finalists could EOIR possibly have? Not all 31 first round candidates are going to turn down positions, so there is no need for more than a 2-1 alternate ratio. But again, who knows.

I wonder if it's something the Avue lady would answer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273073
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:31 pm

ENRD offer reported in the ATL thread.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273073
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:36 pm

Another EOIR finalist with no offer yet over here. It seems weird that there haven't been any reported offers on this thread! I'm (foolishly?) optimistic.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273073
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Curious why the above poster suggested one alternate per position. It'd be great if that were true.


I keep hearing that idea float around here, and it might not be based off of any real information. However, how many finalists could EOIR possibly have? Not all 31 first round candidates are going to turn down positions, so there is no need for more than a 2-1 alternate ratio. But again, who knows.

I wonder if it's something the Avue lady would answer.


Couldn't hurt to ask.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273073
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:59 pm

Can we get a count on here of how many EOIR finalists are still waiting for any news (just out of curiosity and so we're sure it's not the same two people posting to one another).

I'm ONE finalist w/out any news.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273073
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can we get a count on here of how many EOIR finalists are still waiting for any news (just out of curiosity and so we're sure it's not the same two people posting to one another).

I'm ONE finalist w/out any news.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273073
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can we get a count on here of how many EOIR finalists are still waiting for any news (just out of curiosity and so we're sure it's not the same two people posting to one another).

I'm ONE finalist w/out any news.


TWO

Anonymous User
Posts: 273073
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:08 pm

So that makes THREE I guess (I'm guessing the quote above the "two" post was an indication that they were also a finalist)

Any others?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273073
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:28 pm

I just talked to the ARC for EOIR and she said that SLIP offers started yesterday. I don't know if that is helpful at all.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273073
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:30 pm

Make that FIVE. (Me + a friend of mine from same law school = two lurkers.)

A friend of mine who got an EOIR offer last year said he got it during finals, after Thanksgiving.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273073
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just talked to the ARC for EOIR and she said that SLIP offers started yesterday. I don't know if that is helpful at all.


That's really strange considering that there was a poster in the SLIP thread who reported that they/their friend received EOIR SLIP/Honors offers last week.

...And things get more confusing.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273073
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:33 pm

Here's another question for all the EOIR people:

Have any of you heard from your references/know if they've been contacted?

I've tried to get ahold of mine but haven't gotten any responses. Last year, they at least contacted references by this point.

(Good luck to everyone; glad I'm not alone)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273073
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:37 pm

The EOIR offer announcement on ATL was based on an annoucement in the SLIP thread, not any offers that have been reported to ATL. Thus, the only thing we're going on now is that one poster in the SLIP thread who said their friend received an EOIR Honors offer last week.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273073
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:38 pm

SIX. EOIR Finalist. As of yesterday, at least one of my references hadn't been contacted. Don't know about the other two - but I imagine they'd tell me if they had been.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273073
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The EOIR offer announcement on ATL was based on an annoucement in the SLIP thread, not any offers that have been reported to ATL. Thus, the only thing we're going on now is that one poster in the SLIP thread who said their friend received an EOIR Honors offer last week.


Could have been a SLIP funnel offer. I've heard those go out earlier (for obvious reasons).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273073
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:42 pm

So basically what we can conclude from this mini experiment is either: 1) EOIR has a TON of alternates, or 2) EOIR has not actually begun issuing offers for the Honors Program

Lets all pray for the latter

Anonymous User
Posts: 273073
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Make that FIVE. (Me + a friend of mine from same law school = two lurkers.)

A friend of mine who got an EOIR offer last year said he got it during finals, after Thanksgiving.


Thanks for chiming in! Just curious, was your friend an originally alternate? I heard from a couple folks that all initial offers went out before Thanksgiving last year, and then some alternates were contacted during finals.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273073
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So basically what we can conclude from this mini experiment is either: 1) EOIR has a TON of alternates, or 2) EOIR has not actually begun issuing offers for the Honors Program

Lets all pray for the latter


Or 3) a very high percentage of the alternates are reading and posting on this blog.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.