should offers be in writing?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

should offers be in writing?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:13 pm

I know most firms make offers over the phone. but do they then send some sort of letter with a formal offer, or do I just call their recruiting department and say "sign me up"?

Anonymous User

Re: should offers be in writing?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know most firms make offers over the phone. but do they then send some sort of letter with a formal offer, or do I just call their recruiting department and say "sign me up"?

You'll get a letter and probably a bunch of forms and more instructions. Stay tuned! And congratulations.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I know most firms make offers over the phone. but do they then send some sort of letter with a formal offer, or do I just call their recruiting department and say "sign me up"?

You'll get a letter and probably a bunch of forms and more instructions. Stay tuned! And congratulations.

awesome! thanks

dood

Postby dood » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:57 pm

doesnt really make a difference since the letter says "this is at will employment and we reserve right to rescind this offer for whatever reason"

well, i suppose u at least feel more secure with something in writing lol

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:13 am

dood wrote:

doesnt really make a difference since the letter says "this is at will employment and we reserve right to rescind this offer for whatever reason"

Ha, the firm that gave me an offer mentioned that. The partner said something like, "We could send you something in writing but frankly those offers are all non-binding anyway. You either trust the firm or you don't. Just call me if you want a job and we'll get you set up."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:47 am

dood wrote:

It's less a matter of security (because we all know it can be revoked) and more a matter of, I'd like to see in writing all of the salary etc. and maybe some more promotional materials. Also it'd be neat to have the official offer on nice letter head

dood

Postby dood » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
dood wrote:

It's less a matter of security (because we all know it can be revoked) and more a matter of, I'd like to see in writing all of the salary etc. and maybe some more promotional materials. Also it'd be neat to have the official offer on nice letter head

yes, i put all my offer letters on my fridge so people know my superior position in life when they go to get a can of bud light

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:44 am

dood wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
dood wrote:

yes, i put all my offer letters on my fridge so people know my superior position in life when they go to get a can of bud light

when they see your non-peer beer they immediately re-evaluate their opinion of you. Just sayin.

Return to “Legal Employment”