Locke Lord? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Locke Lord?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:25 pm

Can anyone tell me about Locke Lord? What are they good at? Are they way below firms like V&E or just a tier or two down? The people were without exception great, best I've met of any firm I've been to, but I feel like I don't know much about them as an organization. I'd appreciate any enlightenment that can be dished my way.

Anonymous User

Re: Locke Lord?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone tell me about Locke Lord? What are they good at? Are they way below firms like V&E or just a tier or two down? The people were without exception great, best I've met of any firm I've been to, but I feel like I don't know much about them as an organization. I'd appreciate any enlightenment that can be dished my way.
Weighing offers between LLBL and VE. Also interested in this question.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone tell me about Locke Lord? What are they good at? Are they way below firms like V&E or just a tier or two down? The people were without exception great, best I've met of any firm I've been to, but I feel like I don't know much about them as an organization. I'd appreciate any enlightenment that can be dished my way.
OP here, likely to be doing the same very soon. Tough ain't it :? I'm almost leaning LLBL because I don't care about prestige, I don't think my practice group is even that much better at V&E, and LLBL seems to have good partnership prospects with its low leverage and from what they said at the CB... but it's so hard to really distinguish between market-paying firms outside of the people you meet in interviews

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
OP here, likely to be doing the same very soon. Tough ain't it :? I'm almost leaning LLBL because I don't care about prestige, I don't think my practice group is even that much better at V&E, and LLBL seems to have good partnership prospects with its low leverage and from what they said at the CB... but it's so hard to really distinguish between market-paying firms outside of the people you meet in interviews
What's your practice group? How do you have that figured out already.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
What's your practice group? How do you have that figured out already.
Eye Pea bro - pretty much all of us in that field know that's what we're going to end up doing when we enter law school. I mean, I'm not 100%, but I'm about 95% sure. I liked all of the people who interviewed on the same day as me at LLBL too... I dunno. I think that's where I'll probably end up unless one of two places close to home goes for me. I'd be really sad when I turned them down though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:38 am

Assuming you're talking Houston, I know some folks who have worked at LLBL and really liked the people. As for "prestige", they are definitely a "tier" down from VE/BB/FJ, but not much further down. Check out the Texas Lawyer website if you want to look at raw numbers of atty's, profits, revenues, income, etc. That can be a helpful way to get a better understanding of the firms.

In interviewing with them, it seems like they handle a slightly different clientele than do the Big 3. More focus on bringing in business, and the work focuses on slightly smaller deals or cases, since the Big 3 have lots of the big institutional clients already locked down. Depending on what you want to do, this could be either good or bad.

Bottom line, if you want to be part of something that is already big and prestigious, perhaps due to plans several years down the road, then V&E is probably where you want to be. If you are looking to being both a businessperson and a lawyer, don't particularly care about prestige, or felt way more comfortable at LLBL, then go with LLBL.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Assuming you're talking Houston, I know some folks who have worked at LLBL and really liked the people. As for "prestige", they are definitely a "tier" down from VE/BB/FJ, but not much further down. Check out the Texas Lawyer website if you want to look at raw numbers of atty's, profits, revenues, income, etc. That can be a helpful way to get a better understanding of the firms.

In interviewing with them, it seems like they handle a slightly different clientele than do the Big 3. More focus on bringing in business, and the work focuses on slightly smaller deals or cases, since the Big 3 have lots of the big institutional clients already locked down. Depending on what you want to do, this could be either good or bad.

Bottom line, if you want to be part of something that is already big and prestigious, perhaps due to plans several years down the road, then V&E is probably where you want to be. If you are looking to being both a businessperson and a lawyer, don't particularly care about prestige, or felt way more comfortable at LLBL, then go with LLBL.
Very much appreciated

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:42 pm

I have to agree with the feeling about LLBL. When I was there for my call back, I felt like it was a great fit.

Any more info on LLBL would be appreciated!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”