Offer visits?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Offer visits?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:10 pm

Has anyone done offer visits? I have two in NYC on Friday, and I feel semi guilty theyre flying me out from LA (boalt, LR, a number of offers) . Can't decide on a firm. Did anyone go on offer visits? Are they awkward? Did they help?

Anonymous User

Re: Offer visits?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone done offer visits? I have two in NYC on Friday, and I feel semi guilty theyre flying me out from LA (boalt, LR, a number of offers) . Can't decide on a firm. Did anyone go on offer visits? Are they awkward? Did they help?

I may be in the same boat as you when it comes to doing an after-offer visit. However, from everyone I talked to who did this, they said that it just confirmed their gut feelings and they felt a little silly having done the visit. I plan on sitting down and really thinking about it. If I have a gut feeling towards a firm, I will probably refrain from doing the trip.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:28 pm

OP here- didn't have strong gut feelings at first. Now I'm leaning towards one but there are still distinct things about each I like

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I feel semi guilty theyre flying me out from LA

Don't feel guilty - if you join them, they will make mucho dinero off of you. Much more than the cost of your plane tickets, Four Seasons hotel stay, and Michelin-star-rated restaurant meal combined.

Along similar lines: hiring receptions/offer dinners.
Go to them. Good chance to meet the existing attorneys, but more importantly the other Summer Associates. If you don't like the other SAs maybe that will show it's not the firm for you.

Congrats on the offers! Choose wisely grasshopper.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone done offer visits? I have two in NYC on Friday, and I feel semi guilty theyre flying me out from LA (boalt, LR, a number of offers) . Can't decide on a firm. Did anyone go on offer visits? Are they awkward? Did they help?

I have an offer in a city other than where I currently live, and the firm offered to have me come to their local (to me) office, meet people there, and set up video conferencing with the office I'd be working at.

snailio

Postby snailio » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:58 pm

Don't feel guilty, this is a common practice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:34 pm

OP here- for the use of future offer visitors, for me, it was very useful and I do not regret doing it at all. Really helpful, made a big difference for me.

Another question- I visited 2 firms I had offers with, one firm (the firm I'm accepting) organized my travel. How do I deal with reimbursement (do I get the same NALP reimbursements as for callbacks?), and do I send in the form so the firms share costs, even though I'm rejecting one?

Return to “Legal Employment”