Skadden or Kirkland (Chicago)? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Skadden or Kirkland (Chicago)?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:47 pm

Looking to do corporate work and stay in Chicago. Kirkland has a pretty well known rep but I haven't heard much about Skadden's Chicago office. Any thoughts?

Anonymous User

Re: Skadden or Kirkland (Chicago)?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Looking to do corporate work and stay in Chicago. Kirkland has a pretty well known rep but I haven't heard much about Skadden's Chicago office. Any thoughts?
kirkland is a powerhouse in Chicago, though they're known mainly for litigation. that said, i think their corporate department is very highly ranked as well. i would check the chamber's guide rankings for corporate work in Illinois. that should give you a good indication where each firm stands in that area.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:14 pm

Absolutely pick Kirkland.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Absolutely pick Kirkland.
I got that sense looking through some older threads, but any reason in particular?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:02 pm

Not to hijack but what about skadden v. sidley for lit? (chicago)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Absolutely pick Kirkland.
I got that sense looking through some older threads, but any reason in particular?
One reason is that Skadden, while a great office, is still a satellite office at the end of the day.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:07 pm

My impression is that Skadden's Chicago office pales in comparison to both Sidley and Kirkland, who are institutions in Chicago. With respect to lit esp., as the only strength of Skadden's Chicago office is maybe its m&a work.

Anecdotally, I know of people leaving Skadden in Chicago for these other firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:58 pm

does this apply to satellite offices in general?

I'm choosing between Skadden (satellite/corporate) and Weil NY (restructuring)

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:05 pm

Skadden is a bit different re: satellite offices. It's a very integrated national law firm with presences in major markets. Skadden Chicago has 200 attorneys -- it's hardly a small satellite. It also let's you transfer between offices, which means associates at Skadden Chicago aren't considered "second tier" in any way.

I've heard bad things about the office (I think Kirkland may be eating their lunch), but it might be people repeating the same XOXO rumor.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:28 pm

rayiner wrote: I've heard bad things about the office (I think Kirkland may be eating their lunch), but it might be people repeating the same XOXO rumor.
Skadden LA vs. Weil NY vs. GDC LA vs. Kirkland Chi; sorry should have clarified.

I can thrive in pretty much any environment. I know those are all different places. I have kind of an aversion to NY but I am interested in restructuring - I am doing post-offer visits to Weil and GDC. Thoughts?

Main concerns - lateral mobility and no/cold-offers

Sorry for the derailing but helpful posts itt

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rayiner wrote: I've heard bad things about the office (I think Kirkland may be eating their lunch), but it might be people repeating the same XOXO rumor.
Skadden LA vs. Weil NY vs. GDC LA vs. Kirkland Chi; sorry should have clarified.

I can thrive in pretty much any environment. I know those are all different places. I have kind of an aversion to NY but I am interested in restructuring - I am doing post-offer visits to Weil and GDC. Thoughts?

If you're interested in restructuring, it's between Weil NY and Kirkland Chicago. They dominate national bankruptcy practice. You should be choosing between the cities at that point.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:58 pm

Bronte wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

If you're interested in restructuring, it's between Weil NY and Kirkland Chicago. They dominate national bankruptcy practice. You should be choosing between the cities at that point.
I think you can across Skadden LA off the list with GDC on the table. Then pick LA/Chicago/NY. If your interest in bankruptcy is really strong, and you have an aversion to NY, Kirkland Chicago is really a no-brainer.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”