3L Employment Prospects

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 3L Employment Prospects

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 10, 2012 12:43 pm

bumping this thread....in a similar position as OP and planning to do 3L OCI at my CCN

My question is about timing. It sounds like the firms take longer to get back to 3Ls after callbacks (someone in a different thread said they wait until after they are done with 2L hiring). I am worried if it takes too long my offer from the firm I summer with will expire. I am assuming people in this situation call up the firms they did callbacks with and tell them the offer is expiring and that they need to know? Can anyone with experience with this chime in? Also, I was thinking to avoid this problem I might mass-mail firms in late July and try to get the callbacks in in early August rather than waiting for my school's early interview program in mid-August. Do 3Ls changing firms do this?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 10, 2012 12:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:bumping this thread....in a similar position as OP and planning to do 3L OCI at my CCN

My question is about timing. It sounds like the firms take longer to get back to 3Ls after callbacks (someone in a different thread said they wait until after they are done with 2L hiring). I am worried if it takes too long my offer from the firm I summer with will expire. I am assuming people in this situation call up the firms they did callbacks with and tell them the offer is expiring and that they need to know? Can anyone with experience with this chime in? Also, I was thinking to avoid this problem I might mass-mail firms in late July and try to get the callbacks in in early August rather than waiting for my school's early interview program in mid-August. Do 3Ls changing firms do this?

I'd like to know the timing on this as well.

Further, I'm looking to trade up from a v15 in NYC, to a v5/v10. Assuming that my grades are going to be top 15-20% at a T10, what would you say my chances are this year to make that trade? Assuming interested in Corporate/M&A?

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Thu May 10, 2012 1:01 pm

#OnePercenterProblems

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 10, 2012 7:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:bumping this thread....in a similar position as OP and planning to do 3L OCI at my CCN

I'd like to know the timing on this as well.

Further, I'm looking to trade up from a v15 in NYC, to a v5/v10. Assuming that my grades are going to be top 15-20% at a T10, what would you say my chances are this year to make that trade? Assuming interested in Corporate/M&A?

Yes, i do realize i'm lucky, that doesn't change the fact that i'd like to maximize my position. Does anyone have any anecdotes that relates to my situation, or comments in general?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 11, 2012 10:15 am

shameless bump. anyone have any experience with timing of 3L hiring when you have an offer from your 2L firm?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 11, 2012 1:19 pm

I'm a Dewey SA that might not be able to find a biglaw job for this summer. Anyone know how to indicate that on my resume without looking like an idiot? Of course some people put "expected" jobs on their resume...but I can't really say that I'm expecting to work anymore. Further, does anyone know how Dewey or similarly imploded firms will affect OCI? Did Howrey 3Ls gain favorable positions over others? Thanks for any answers.

Return to “Legal Employment”