What to take to a callback

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What to take to a callback

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:04 pm

I have my first callback tomorrow. Is there anything I should take: resumes, writing samples, that stupid leather notebook, knee pads?

5ky

Re: What to take to a callback

Postby 5ky » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:07 pm

Bring the padfolio, couple copies of resume, transcript, writing sample. That's all you will need, and probably won't even need any of it. But better to be prepared.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:08 pm

AND REFERENCES

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:09 pm

I've never needed any of that, but I've always taken it.

Glock

Postby Glock » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:09 pm

Wheely backpack. Requirement.

tfer2222

Postby tfer2222 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:11 pm

bring sunscreen and lots of quarters

tfer2222

Postby tfer2222 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:12 pm

seriously though i always bring those things (references included), but never really need them

One time i had to fill out a bunch of paperwork before the interviews started so having my reference sheet was handy

5ky

Postby 5ky » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:AND REFERENCES

Yeah, references too. Thanks, helpful anon!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:24 pm

5ky wrote:

Have people seriously been asked for references during callbacks for firms that don't ask for them ask the screening stage? That seems bizarre to me.

Glock

Postby Glock » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
5ky wrote:

Have people seriously been asked for references during callbacks for firms that don't ask for them ask the screening stage? That seems bizarre to me.

Yes. It isn't like they expect you to have them if they did not ask for them, but it is a plus. In one interview I said... "one of my mentors told me XXXXXX". The partner was like, who was that? Do you have references I can look at?

Well of course I do... I am always prepared and thinking steps ahead! Doesn't that sound like something you want in an associate?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:00 pm

Glock wrote:Wheely backpack. Requirement.

Offer, everytime.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:04 pm

Glock wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
5ky wrote:

Yes. It isn't like they expect you to have them if they did not ask for them, but it is a plus. In one interview I said... "one of my mentors told me XXXXXX". The partner was like, who was that? Do you have references I can look at?

That has never come up in any of my callbacks or in any of the callbacks of people I know. What type of firm was this?

5ky

Postby 5ky » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:27 pm

I mean, don't bring a reference list if you don't want. Chances are very small you'll be asked for it. But is it really that hard to slip an extra piece of paper in your padfolio?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:32 pm

5ky wrote:I mean, don't bring a reference list if you don't want. Chances are very small you'll be asked for it. But is it really that hard to slip an extra piece of paper in your padfolio?

I didn't bother e-mailing former employers, professors, etc. asking if I could use them as a reference. More work than just slipping a piece of paper into my padfolio. A V15 partner at a roundtable at my school mentioned that they don't need references, and he knows of only a firm or two that requires them and in those cases, they're used at the screening stage to determine who to give callbacks to (Covington is an example of this).

Maybe some regional firms or something want them? I don't know. Between me and my friends, we've gone on dozens upon dozens of V20 callbacks and it's never once come up.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
5ky wrote:I mean, don't bring a reference list if you don't want. Chances are very small you'll be asked for it. But is it really that hard to slip an extra piece of paper in your padfolio?

I didn't bother e-mailing former employers, professors, etc. asking if I could use them as a reference. More work than just slipping a piece of paper into my padfolio. A V15 partner at a roundtable at my school mentioned that they don't need references, and he knows of only a firm or two that requires them and in those cases, they're used at the screening stage to determine who to give callbacks to (Covington is an example of this).

Maybe some regional firms or something want them? I don't know. Between me and my friends, we've gone on dozens upon dozens of V20 callbacks and it's never once come up.

Yeah, as I said, it doesn't come up too often. But shame on you for playing the Biglaw game of roulette and not even bothering to work up a list of references on the off chance you might need it for the most important job search of your life.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:55 pm

5ky wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yeah, as I said, it doesn't come up too often. But shame on you for playing the Biglaw game of roulette and not even bothering to work up a list of references on the off chance you might need it for the most important job search of your life.

Yeah, shame on me for not doing something that has never been required of anybody I ever know who did OCI/callbacks without the firm specifically requesting that thing. I'm sure living dangerously. :roll:

5ky

Postby 5ky » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yeah, shame on me for not doing something that has never been required of anybody I ever know who did OCI/callbacks without the firm specifically requesting that thing. I'm sure living dangerously. :roll:

I'll make sure I bring those flowers for my next callback, thanks chief, because having a list of references is clearly the same level of absurdity.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:07 pm

5ky wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Yeah, shame on me for not doing something that has never been required of anybody I ever know who did OCI/callbacks without the firm specifically requesting that thing. I'm sure living dangerously. :roll:

I'll make sure I bring those flowers for my next callback, thanks chief, because having a list of references is clearly the same level of absurdity.

You could always have them delivered after the callback with your handwritten thank-you notes personalized for each interviewer.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
5ky wrote:

You could always have them delivered after the callback with your handwritten thank-you notes personalized for each interviewer.

Nah I'm with you there, thank you notes are weak. Not worth the time it takes to write them.

Return to “Legal Employment”