Advice for an engineer entirely set on IP

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Should I go back to school?

No - Buying more education is stupid.
80%
Yes - but save money and go to the cheaper school.
20%
Yes - and get the best brand name degree money can buy.
No votes

Total votes: 5

Anonymous User

Advice for an engineer entirely set on IP

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:47 pm

I recently graduated jobless after striking out at OCI in a top 50 school. The main reason I failed to get work at the school program was a poor GPA - my GPA was ~3.1 at OCI. I graduated with ~3.8, Magna, Coif and all that jazz.

I also have a mechanical engineering degree and I currently have a couple of part time jobs, no debt, and no interest in working outside of IP. I have gotten called in for interviews at several V50 firms, and I have been explicitly rejected from a few firms because my degree was in mechanical rather than electrical or computer science. I know they were sincere because some firms called me back in to interview me solely on my undergrad transcript and engineering knowledge.

I am thinking about keeping my part time jobs (through which I am earning more than I'm spending) and going back to school for a masters in electrical engineering or computer science. My thoughts are that in two years, people with two years of experience will be in demand, so keeping my current job would leave me with 2 years of IP experience a BS in mechanical and an MS in electrical along with top law school grades.

Would doing that leave my resume too tangled to get work? Would it generate too many red flags? Also, would the quality of the engineering school matter? My undergrad degree is from a top engineering school, and It could be the difference between costing 10K and 70K. I really appreciate any advice you guys can give me.

Anonymous User

Re: Advice for an engineer entirely set on IP

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:58 pm

Any way you could get funding to go back to school? I also graduated from a top engineering school, and almost all of our EE/CS masters programs were fully funded through research/TA fellowships. I think most people made enough to also cover all their living expenses and have a little something extra.

Anonymous User

Re: Advice for an engineer entirely set on IP

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:05 pm

OP here -I don't know about getting funding. I wanted to run this poll before putting a few hundred dollars into the application process. For all intents and purposes, the 10K a city college would cost locally represents a "free" option to me. Money on that scale is not my concern at this stage of life - setting up my career long term is.

Return to “Legal Employment”